My title wants to be provocative but with BlackBerry pointing everything on making Android secure, the risk for the company is to became a target for all the Android Hackers out there..

I really hope BlackBerry is sure of what they are doing.. a security breach in the phone would be a huge image damage for the entire brand.. BES12 included.

The problem here is that you can secure Android only that much.. and without running BES12 on the devices, ALL the devices, they are extremely vulnerable.
    It is going to be WHEN they get hacked and not IF..

Chen talked about measures in place to quickly patch vulnerabilities but I really fear that in case of a break the press will destroy BlackBerry

What are your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 07:38 PM
    If the phone sells well, then yes this might be something to worry about. But if it doesn't sell, no hacker is going to spend $700 and a whole lot of time to crack something no one has heard of.

So one step at a time, I think. Let's see if this thing sells.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    10-23-15 07:42 PM
    First hack want to see is to enable the wireless charger. I'm convinced it's not missing the hardware just disabled in the settings somewhere.
    10-23-15 07:46 PM
    Because they are really sure it's not gonna happen.

In Squircle I Trust
    DavideaNY and gugomat like this.
    10-23-15 07:46 PM
    It has wireless charging.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 07:47 PM
    If the phone sells well, then yes this might be something to worry about. But if it doesn't sell, no hacker is going to spend $700 and a whole lot of time to crack something no one has heard of.

So one step at a time, I think. Let's see if this thing sells.
    Too irrelevant to interest hackers then? Market share however it is not that important for an hacker.. finally been able to compromise a brand that has always had the reputation of secure is the final prize and probably worth it 600USD..

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 07:49 PM
    Because they are really sure it's not gonna happen.

In Squircle I Trust
    I really hope that.. and they are able to finally secure Android!
    But It looks too good to be true..
    10-23-15 07:50 PM
    My title wants to be provocative but with BlackBerry pointing everything on making Android secure, the risk for the company is to became a target for all the Android Hackers out there..

I really hope BlackBerry is sure of what they are doing.. a security breach in the phone would be a huge image damage for the entire brand.. BES12 included.

The problem here is that you can secure Android only that much.. and without running BES12 on the devices, ALL the devices, they are extremely vulnerable.
    It is going to be WHEN they get hacked and not IF..

Chen talked about measures in place to quickly patch vulnerabilities but I really fear that in case of a break the press will destroy BlackBerry

What are your thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    No one but BlackBerry, and members of this community, have been focusing on the Priv's security. Most media have, at best, mentioned it only in passing - the selling point to them has been the keyboard. No one is going to care if a vulnerability arises, apart from a handful of customers perhaps.
    10-23-15 07:52 PM
    No one but BlackBerry, and members of this community, have been focusing on the Priv's security. Most media have, at best, mentioned it only in passing - the selling point to them has been the keyboard. No one is going to care if a vulnerability arises, apart from a handful of customers perhaps.
    This is very true as far as the consumer side of the story. I have checked lots of android blogs and none have stressed the security side of the Priv. It is a non-issue as far as they are concerned. I personally believe that the Priv will be hacked very quickly (a month or two perhaps) just because it is a challenge and for the privilege of saying " I was the first guy/gal to hack a BB". Blackberry will then counter with " If we can't lock android down, then no-one can, we can only guarantee that BB10 is safe". We will see-hope I am wrong.
    10-23-15 07:58 PM
    I think hackers are looking for a larger install base.

The only draw these days is that most BlackBerry are tied to Gov and large enterprises. Extortion through th theft of data is on the up and up but to exposing sensitive data via the BlackBerry (or any smartphone) other than email is almost mute. Unless the companies policy on passcodes, two factor authentication and mVPN is elementary, hackers won't derive too much.

Those companies rocking BlackBerry typically have security in mind and when coupled with BES10 /12 among other safe guards, a tall order to crack
    03-10-16 09:32 AM
    Blackphone was hacked in 5 minutes. It's been five months since this thread was started, and I haven't heard of any hacks to the Priv (which has a larger market share than Blackphone, by the way).

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 posted via CB10
    03-10-16 10:18 AM
    Yeah would like to add good to see no hacking on the priv a good showing so far I must say.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-10-16 10:35 AM
    HMMMMMMM still waiting

Posted via CB10 and the BlackBerry Passport
    03-30-16 10:39 PM
    Blackphone was hacked in 5 minutes. It's been five months since this thread was started, and I haven't heard of any hacks to the Priv (which has a larger market share than Blackphone, by the way).

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 posted via CB10
    The market share excuse is always a poor excuse imo.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2876
    03-30-16 10:56 PM
    I think hackers are looking for a larger install base.

The only draw these days is that most BlackBerry are tied to Gov and large enterprises. Extortion through th theft of data is on the up and up but to exposing sensitive data via the BlackBerry (or any smartphone) other than email is almost mute. Unless the companies policy on passcodes, two factor authentication and mVPN is elementary, hackers won't derive too much.

Those companies rocking BlackBerry typically have security in mind and when coupled with BES10 /12 among other safe guards, a tall order to crack
    Not all hackers are looking for larger install bases. At least not for white hat hackers who won't hack for unethical profits.

White hat hackers can make a living by providing their professional services for the security market. In their niche market, the best marketing is to hack things that are tough to hack. BlackBerry has always been a great target in that regard.

It's like saying nobody is going to climb Mount Everest because no profit there... no, not all climbers climb for money.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    FF22 likes this.
    03-31-16 01:23 AM
    It's my bet that the Priv will never be rooted or hacked.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my BlackBerry Priv
    03-31-16 10:37 AM
    I personally believe that the Priv will be hacked very quickly (a month or two perhaps) just because it is a challenge and for the privilege of saying " I was the first guy/gal to hack a BB".
    Yep--I'm going to stand up and admit that I was WRONG!
    03-31-16 11:12 AM
    Yep--I'm going to stand up and admit that I was WRONG!
    You played yourself bruh. Big time!

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    03-31-16 11:52 AM
    It will never be hacked.

04-01-16 04:05 AM
    Bumping this post.. So far, after several updates and a new OS introduced (MM) we have not heard any news in this direction.

If you ask me, the fact that BlackBerry has not been compromised after the Priv launch last year is already a great accomplishment.

05-18-16 04:06 PM
    Bumping this post.. So far, after several updates and a new OS introduced (MM) we have not heard any news in this direction.

If you ask me, the fact that BlackBerry has not been compromised after the Priv launch last year is already a great accomplishment.

There IS one "report" about a root being available but not made public, and sold to a company. Huge grain of salt though.

Where is Marshmallow? (late april/may) - Page 16 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    05-18-16 04:57 PM
    There IS one "report" about a root being available but not made public, and sold to a company. Huge grain of salt though.

Where is Marshmallow? (late april/may) - Page 16 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    I have been anxiously awaiting the day I can root my Priv (and/or any future Android BlackBerry...) Hoping, IF this is legit (I've always been more of a "pix or it didn't happen" kinda girl) it will be made public... Google is like an STD, sure, tons of people have it and they seem fine for the most part, but that doesn't mean I want it too...

Posted via CB10
    Wezard likes this.
    05-18-16 08:21 PM
    I doubt it will happen. Right now only way to root M is with an unlocked bootloader which is likely impossible. Even a phone as popular as LG G4 had never had its bootloader unlocked and no root on M.
    So Android is no longer as hackable as most believe.

Though never say never I guess. Would love to see root and even more so custom roms.

Last edited by milfou; 05-18-16 at 09:32 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-18-16 08:52 PM
    I doubt it will happen. Right now only way to root M is with an unlocked bootloader which is likely impossible. Even a phone as popular as LG G4 had never had its bootloader unlocked and no root on M.
    So Android is no longer as hackable as most believe.

Though never say never I guess. Would love to see root and even more so custom roms.

I wouldn't say no longer as hackable, it's up to the device manufacturer and what they want to do. Take Asus for example, they directly offer bootloader unlocking tools for their Android devices, making it clear to the end users that using it voids warranties, can be bad for you, should only be done by power users, etc etc. This is one of those times where I can only hope that BB takes a page out of one of the cool kids' book, and does something similar for their Android devices, because not only do they attract their target audience of people wanting enhanced security, but a wider audience of people who are here purely for the hardware itself.
    05-19-16 08:37 AM
    Google is like an STD, sure, tons of people have it and they seem fine for the most part, but that doesn't mean I want it too...

Posted via CB10
    Lmfao

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-19-16 01:59 PM
28 12