I confirmed... the updates are called something like security update
    Or patch updates or somwthing... so are they like major updates? These patch updates?

Posted via CB10
    Sometimes the update is a patch and over times it is a full image upgrade. If you prefer a slider-style physical keyboard smartphone over an always present physical keyboard, the BlackBerry Priv is a fantastic smartphone with security forefront.
    newcollector likes this.
    05-18-17 11:50 AM
    Iam getting a phone under ₹20000 (350$ approx) for college.

I can find a BlackBerry priv for 21000₹ and an iphone SE for around 17999₹(300$ approx)

the iphone's A9 is faster than snapdragon 810 forget 808.

Iphone has a better camera.

Though both phones have been around for 2 yrs now iphone will get updated more than BlackBerry

The speakers and music listening experiences are better on iphone.

What could be some of the reasons someone would still go for priv except for the large display.

Posted via CB10
    It seems your new thread on comparing a Priv to a Laptop was closed and redirected back to this original thread.

As someone in that close thread suggested, I think trying to use a rather small phone for typing 10 page college papers would be difficult. In addition, if a Professor expects certain publishing formats, that, too, could be hard to accomplish on a phone. I think a laptop would be better for college work.

Now I understand that a college student probably also needs a phone but there may be other phones that are cheap so you could have both a phone and laptop. I do admit that trying to take pictures of friends or whatever can be hard on a laptop but that is still secondary to writing college papers and do research, etc.

Good luck in college.
    05-21-17 10:37 PM
    Thanks... I really like the priv and probably wouldn't want to leave BlackBerry but the nexus 6p is really attractive...so is the dtek 60 which I can easily obtain if I shoot up another 90$.

Iphone se.. true... its going to be an amazing entertainment and gaming device... but as a device to write 10 pages on... I dont think so.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 01:23 AM
    Prive to Apple is comparing Apples to oranges, they are very different. I'd never consider an Apple until they change some of their policies, but the priv its self used to be a good phone until the last update, at this point I'm going to have to go back to my old cracked screen kyocera.
    05-22-17 09:19 AM
    As a former Nexus 6p user, I found the Sze to be an issue for me. That's when I got a PRIV instead and saved 150 when I sold the Nexus 6p.

I am a college student. I have used the passport for writing term papers and it served me better than a laptop. I also use my PRIV (current phone) to do the same thing. I actually think I am better on the PRIV than I was on the passport at typing out term papers. I think it is because the keys aren't as spaced out.

I haven't done a 10 page paper with the PRIV. I have done 1-3 page papers with it without issues. I imagine your thumbs will get tired typing a 10 pager. Mine get tired after 3 pages (can't really blame me). I would type it up first then copy and paste it in a word document for format and spacing. I am not as fast typing on a laptop than I am on my PRIV or even the passport. I think it is a matter of personal preference.

Long story short, I think blackberry phones are great for students period.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-22-17 10:52 AM
    As a former Nexus 6p user, I found the Sze to be an issue for me. That's when I got a PRIV instead and saved 150 when I sold the Nexus 6p.

I am a college student. I have used the passport for writing term papers and it served me better than a laptop. I also use my PRIV (current phone) to do the same thing. I actually think I am better on the PRIV than I was on the passport at typing out term papers. I think it is because the keys aren't as spaced out.

I haven't done a 10 page paper with the PRIV. I have done 1-3 page papers with it without issues. I imagine your thumbs will get tired typing a 10 pager. Mine get tired after 3 pages (can't really blame me). I would type it up first then copy and paste it in a word document for format and spacing. I am not as fast typing on a laptop than I am on my PRIV or even the passport. I think it is a matter of personal preference.

Long story short, I think blackberry phones are great for students period.
    Thanks... all this makes me all the more intrested in getting a priv... since you are also a college student we can relate to the sort of stuff we do on a day to day basis

My other concerns include..

1- speed... is that phone laggy... I heard many reviewers like mkbhd and mr mobile call it laggy... for me anything faster than my xperia z ultra with snapdragon 800 is fast.... I dont expect the speed to be on par with my now old s7 (it wasn't that much faster than the z ultra to be honest... its just slightly faster...not a lot) but is the speed good enough for work and clash of clans?

2- public attention
    I dont like it when my phone attracts attention cuz then people wanna try it and I dont want to give. BlackBerry in india is a status symbol... something like apple... used by only rich people...

I have a refurbished z30 cuz I couldn't afford a new one and I had to slap a skin on the back that hides the BlackBerry logo cuz all my friends went crazy when I got a whatsapp and I made an inverted L to get into the hub.

I dont want that happening to my priv...

So, do people ask about ur phone?

3- battery... people on crackberry have been telling me that priv's battery life sucks... if I dont use my phone during 9am to 4pm cuz I will be at a lecture. I use my phone for some photos daily... a bit of crackberry, whatsapp, fb, insta and at night if I finish my assignments on it... do u think it can last me two days of this usage? If not 2 can it last a single day? So I plug it in at night and use it for another day.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 03:23 AM
    Thanks... all this makes me all the more intrested in getting a priv... since you are also a college student we can relate to the sort of stuff we do on a day to day basis

My other concerns include..

1- speed... is that phone laggy... I heard many reviewers like mkbhd and mr mobile call it laggy... for me anything faster than my xperia z ultra with snapdragon 800 is fast.... I dont expect the speed to be on par with my now old s7 (it wasn't that much faster than the z ultra to be honest... its just slightly faster...not a lot) but is the speed good enough for work and clash of clans?

2- public attention
    I dont like it when my phone attracts attention cuz then people wanna try it and I dont want to give. BlackBerry in india is a status symbol... something like apple... used by only rich people...

I have a refurbished z30 cuz I couldn't afford a new one and I had to slap a skin on the back that hides the BlackBerry logo cuz all my friends went crazy when I got a whatsapp and I made an inverted L to get into the hub.

I dont want that happening to my priv...

So, do people ask about ur phone?

3- battery... people on crackberry have been telling me that priv's battery life sucks... if I dont use my phone during 9am to 4pm cuz I will be at a lecture. I use my phone for some photos daily... a bit of crackberry, whatsapp, fb, insta and at night if I finish my assignments on it... do u think it can last me two days of this usage? If not 2 can it last a single day? So I plug it in at night and use it for another day.

Posted via CB10
    The speed of is device is enough for me. I get a few lags here and there but nothing that makes the device unusable. It has never frozen up on me. Lags can happen with any device. I had a few on my nexus 6p. It's debatable because it depends on how you are using it.

Public attention is something I really don't pay attention to. I get a few people that I know who tell me about it because they know these are the kinds of phones I like to use.

Battery also is debatable. I don't use this phone for social networking. I don't play a lot of games. I just use it for reading articles, Web browsing, messaging, and course work. I play a few games here and there. I am able to get through a day pretty solid with my usage pattern. There are plenty of articles online both here and on the Web that will show you how to get the best battery life out of the PRIV.

All in all I am glad that I came back to blackberry for this device. It combines everything I need in a device right now and I plan on keeping it regardless if I get another phone (keyone) or not.
    Last edited by tfitzpat03; 05-23-17 at 09:25 AM.
    05-23-17 08:31 AM
    As a student you owe it to yourself to buy a BlackBerry Priv and install Epsilon Notes which supports markdown for notes as well as equations, and VerbTeX if you want or need LaTeX for notes and reports. Epsilon Notes is probably the easier syntax to learn and is unobtrusive in terms of typing speed. I used VerbTeX last semester at college for writing memos, reports of various types and lengths, and used Epsilon Notes when taking notes in class without the typing overhead of LaTeX.
    05-23-17 04:44 PM
33 12