My wife and I are looking to get new phones. We currently have Z10s and love them. But after 3 years the phone is starting to show it's age. Since we're on Verizon our choices for new BB10 devices are limited to the Classic. No thanks. I would consider the Passport, but it's not available on Verizon. That leaves us with the Priv.

What beloved BB10 features are we going to lose by going to Android? I'm somewhat of a power user, being in IT and also running as BES12 environment. I haven't had much exposure to Android. My family loves to use BBM. I use the hot spot for work. Does ActiveSync work the same? What else should I be looking for?

Thanks!
    05-31-16 09:08 AM
    You shouldn't lose anything, other than maybe "some" hub utility. Not all apps are completely integrated due to the fact that the hub is merely a third party app now on Android. About the only apps that are completely integrated are BBM, texting, and email. The others like Facebook and WhatsApp will open through the hub, but also the app opens up completely separate to the hub.
    Other than that, once you get the hang of Android UI, you will find much better battery life, much more availability of working apps, and more continuous support.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-31-16 09:22 AM
    You won't miss out on too much- the UI is clearly different, but BBM should work as usual. I have my emails set up in the hub and I get them as I should. I went from Q10 to Z10 to Priv and I enjoy the Priv, also on Verizon. I don't regret making the jump and I believe you won't either. Enjoy the bigger screen and choice of virtual keyboard or physical keyboard as well!
    05-31-16 09:23 AM
    My wife and I are looking to get new phones. We currently have Z10s and love them. But after 3 years the phone is starting to show it's age. Since we're on Verizon our choices for new BB10 devices are limited to the Classic. No thanks. I would consider the Passport, but it's not available on Verizon. That leaves us with the Priv.

What beloved BB10 features are we going to lose by going to Android? I'm somewhat of a power user, being in IT and also running as BES12 environment. I haven't had much exposure to Android. My family loves to use BBM. I use the hot spot for work. Does ActiveSync work the same? What else should I be looking for?

Thanks!

I went from a Z10 to the PRIV. I don't think you will notice to much of a difference other than the obvious switch from BB10 to android. But what you do gain is WAY better battery life, a larger screen and the option of virtual or physical keyboard.
    05-31-16 10:07 AM
    You will loose UI but gain a world of functionality(apps, wireless charging[for the model that does have it], google integration).
    It is like going from a buggy(horse and cart) to a Tesla. Yeah you gotta get used to it but you don't have to scoop horse manure anymore.
    05-31-16 10:16 AM
    Went from Z10 to Priv on Verizon and when I use my Z10 now it is almost child like as a iPhone. The only thing I use it for is because Apollo still works on it and if I have to stream music then that is what I will use. The Priv is fantastic and I love it more than my S6, S7 and 6P.

I keep it paired to a Samsung Gear S2 3G all the time and it works great.

05-31-16 12:39 PM
    I also switched from Z10 to Priv. What I miss is BB10 Hub's rule-based custom views. I used it a lot before to filter email. Priv still allows you to have rule-based custom alerts in Hub, so I can't understand why it can't have rule-based custom views as well.

But that aside, there's a lot the Android ecosystem has to offer.

If you can afford it, get your Priv from BB direct.
    05-31-16 12:52 PM
    You will lose the need of charging the phone every 4 hours!

Go ahead, Priv is really a nice phone. You will probably need a period of adaptation (it is still another OS) but you will gain soo much more in terms of camera quality, apps availability and longevity of the phone (Priv is receiving now Marshmellow and hopefully also Android N in the future) and is getting a lot of attention from BlackBerry that is continuously updating their apps

jberb1984 likes this.
    05-31-16 12:53 PM
    As noted, you'll lose some Hub functionality. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to "search by sender" without copy/paste.

In the calendar you'll lose the ability to edit entries that you didn't create - e.g., meeting invitations - which is a problem if you'd like to enter notes or change reminders. You'll also lose the ability to check colleagues free/busy times for scheduling meetings.

Other than that (there are a few more things I can't think of right now) the upgrade to Android 5.1.1 and 6.0.1 is a big plus.
    05-31-16 01:21 PM
    One thing multitasking( you tube playing in the background) and nothing else you will rather gain!
    Cheers

Posted via CB10
    fanisk likes this.
    05-31-16 02:42 PM
    I've kept my Z30 going on wifi (qi charging) and use it attached to Blend since the Priv does not do Blend. And apparently something has killed blend on Android tablets unfortunately.
    05-31-16 02:43 PM

Thanks!
    You will not loose anything infact will gain lot of things viz . access to google app store , excellent state of art PKB and the VKB. You will also get freedom from poor battery life , sluggish device ,etc . I am using the Priv since Jan 16 and enjoying it . The Hub on Priv is good and very soon BB10 features like pinch filter criterion will be added in it and which make the device more complete.
    06-01-16 08:42 AM
    you will lose the lack of apps, and lose the lack of support
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-01-16 11:37 AM
    I moved from my Z30 to PRIV 2 months ago and the three things I lost were:

1) Gesture swiping, overall navigation (but you really do get used to it quickly)

2) Blend (if you use it)

3) Good file management (Android just can't compare, in my opinion)

Otherwise it's a beautiful phone and not sorry I switched.

Follow me on Instagram @candidberrytales

06-01-16 11:37 AM
    I agree with most posts here. I switched from my Z10 to the priv as well. As much as I loved my Z10 the priv is a better phone. Andriod is not a better os but you get used to how it works fairly quickly and are able to move forward into a different world of phone customization and functionality. I miss how smooth my Z10 was in the ability to navigate using gestures, and YouTube playing in the background, but that is it. Overall I suggest you try the priv and android for yourself to see if you can get to loving the priv the same way you love your Z10

06-01-16 12:56 PM
    I switched from a three year old z10 to the priv about 6 months ago. It felt like o was missing a lot at first but after a few weeks getting used to android and getting everything set up the way I like (nova launcher helped a lot) the only thing I miss from my z10 is the removable battery. Though it's certainly much less needed now.

Curve8300 - Curve9220 - Torch9850 - Z10 - Priv
    06-01-16 01:28 PM