Serious question. I've been reading a ton of Slider posts with some folks saying the won't buy the Slider if it runs Android and at the same time, I've read a lot of posts from folks saying they'll buy it either way. So really, what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry? There's some key components that I'm sure everyone has at the forefront of their mind and it's easy to say 'keyboard', 'security', the 'flow' but what else.

If the rumors and speculation are to be believed, then we'll be getting a BlackBerry 10 experience on top of Android, and by that I mean it'll have the Hub, it'll have all the gestures but simply be powered by Android instead of BlackBerry 10. Effectively a skin on top of Android that looks like BB10 but perhaps even more so polished than what BB10 is. Of course, it remains to be seen how it will end up but let's just assume everything you like for the most part is covered would it really matter if it was Android?

Before you head right to the security and privacy jugular for the kill..

Also, keep in mind we don't yet know how BlackBerry presumably secured this thing so what if they did so in such a way that staves off those who have immense Google privacy fears? Is that all it really comes down to? Privacy, security and not wanting to hand your stuff over to Google or is there more to it than that?

I can't even lie, it has been immensely interesting watching some people change their views from 'I'm not buying the slider if it runs Android' to 'Eh, that's not looking so bad now'. It's like an emotional rollercoaster. lol.
    axllebeer, Ecm, cyblitz and 27 others like this.
    08-09-15 05:14 PM
    Nope doesn't matter, BlackBerry running Android OS is still BlackBerry

I'd buy the zlider

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 ftw!!
    08-09-15 05:16 PM
    A BlackBerry is a BlackBerry because is made by the company. Personally, I can't stand the Android OS and is the reason I moved from my Galaxy to my Z10 years ago, so I hope the BlackBerry 10 slider is an option for us fans.
    Either way, if it is only Android, I would still consider it until I see how this variation works with the hub and with the security problems.
    08-09-15 05:29 PM
    To be honest, as long as it has the key Blackberry apps like the hub, calendar, BB keyboard (physical or virtual) and can be used with blend then I don't really mind if it runs BB10 or Android.
    Mecca EL, Sparksx, Flatman and 7 others like this.
    08-09-15 05:30 PM
    The only part of an OS that I am interested in is the part that I interact with - the interface.

Assuming we have the HUB, gestures, BlackBerry keyboard, file manager, and BlackBerry-style notifications, I couldn't care less about the underlying OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    samgne, Bla1ze, e4diesel and 12 others like this.
    08-09-15 05:31 PM
    As long as it has hub, feels like BlackBerry 10, has great battery life and reception and doesn't run like the pile of trash Android can be at times, I'm in.
    Anilu7, Mecca EL, cwbcpa and 4 others like this.
    08-09-15 05:33 PM
    A BlackBerry is a BlackBerry because is made by the company.
    That's pretty much it and what I was getting at. I love BlackBerry 10 and prefer it...but BlackBerry 10 doesn't have to define the whole company or their device line-up.
    08-09-15 05:35 PM
    In my experience, the real fight is between fans, and people who are still stuck in the pack mentality. People who have vested in blackberry for so so long will simply create any argument for why going android is the worst thing ever. They have been team blackberry forever, and any wavering is a sign of weakness. They will bring the argument all the way down to some miniscule feature BBOS had that Android wont and beat it to death. It's unfortunate but remember, the remaining blackberry fans are here for a reason, because they stuck around at all.

For me, I will adapt. I am trying this from my new Windows 10 machine which I got today (HP Spectre x360). I was a mac user for about 5 years. I also have the blackberry classic and a Nexus 7. Yes, BB10 is my fav mobile OS (aside from webos), but I will manage with android as long as the hub is there and the hardware has the keyboard I love. I will also glady accept google play services (which I need for work) and all the apps that will now work properly.

As long as BB is still around making phones with hardware keyboards and productivity in mind, I will adapt to the rest. That's what Blackberry means to me.
    08-09-15 05:36 PM
    As long as BB is still around making phones with hardware keyboards and productivity in mind, I will adapt to the rest. That's what Blackberry means to me.
    I like that.
    BillyBreathes likes this.
    08-09-15 05:38 PM
    I've also changed my mind Bla1ze.

If BlackBerry can come up with a version of Android that looks and runs like BB10, then I'm all for it.

I don't think we would have to suffer all the usual bloat ware that comes with the likes of Samsung either.

Let's face it BB10 is on its last legs, so if this can save BlackBerry it's gotta be worth going for.

Some marketing MUST happen though.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.1.2582 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    Anilu7 and Mecca EL like this.
    08-09-15 05:40 PM
    John Chen! That's what makes BlackBerry a BlackBerry.

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-09-15 05:58 PM
    Tl;dr - Depends on how they put it together but would be open to it, one OS doesn't make the company, it's the 'mindset' that counts

I agree that it's the personality of the Company that matters most, but to me there's a problem there too, what makes BlackBerry as a company BlackBerry internally, I feel like BlackBerry has been going through an identity crisis with all the CEO changes etc.

They need to understand how they're relevant in today's world and then communicate that out, the IOT moves have shown quite a bit of this, but I feel that there's a BlackBerry that's relevant to a wider group of consumers than just 'prosumers' / other businesses

Quick e.g. Intel is a b2b business but have a 'personality' that reaches out to individual consumers who are 'Intel' customers but indirectly.

But to bring it back to the topic, I'm happy for BlackBerry to experiment with different things to improve my experience as a device customer, as long as I still have choices.

I doubt that it's going to be android only going from slider forward anyway, but I wouldn't be happy with that if it happened, I mean even with BlackBerry10 how many features are people asking for from legacy devices etc. Then to move to something will bring a different set of problems, as OP mentioned, it depends how they actually put this together and how 'BB10' it is, won't know till I play with it, but I have a feeling I would be okay with it.

Check Out TechCraze
    08-09-15 06:00 PM
    I agree that it's the personality of the Company that matters most, but to me there's a problem there too, what makes BlackBerry as a company BlackBerry internally, I feel like BlackBerry has been going through an identity crisis with all the CEO changes etc.
    Excellent point.. been feeling the same way as of late as well.. seemed like they started off on the right foot but we're back to somewhat mixed messages now. Not necc. with all the CEO changes, John has been there for a minute now but it seems his clarity in the messages has changed similar to the 'old Blackberry'.
    08-09-15 06:02 PM
    This is my main reservation.

So 1st off, I think it's a good idea.

My problems are just that I don't want this to lead to the death of BB10. Options are good, and if the company wants to offer more then so be it. I really like the whole interface of BB10 though and I just can't see an Android skinned to look like BB10 being the same thing.

Now this will bring Google Play services onboard which is a good thing for a lot of people. There have been many times I wish I could do some more casting with my Q10. But for me, Play Services don't really matter. But that's me and I'm in the minority which is fine. Perhaps I don't care so much because we have a little from everyone in the house. BlackBerry phones, PlayBook, iPhones, Nexus devices, Samsung phones and tablets, Windows 10, Windows 8.1 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro. Pretty covered here. So I don't feel like I'm lacking anything.

Imagine if Apple said they were going to release a larger iPhone running Android back when they launched the 6+! There would have been a hell of an uproar. And the fans would have been right to feel that way. Just the same, many BlackBerry fans feel like it's a betrayal. And I understand why.

Posted via a touchscreen, excuse the typos.
    08-09-15 06:03 PM
    Leaving "security" out of the equation until we have more than guesswork and unsubstantiated rumours...

A BB10 experience over Android OS would likely work for me. It would certainly be nice to have the the full range of Android apps and services working. Gmail working on mobile with no tweaks or work-arounds would be a nice side benefit.

I do expect a great wailing and gnashing of teeth if the device isn't on par with the newest and upcoming Android flagship devices in both specs and price. The argument that BB 10 doesn't require the same specs to give a smooth experience will no longer carry any weight.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-09-15 06:10 PM
    For blackberry to keep as much of its key features as possible is my only wish. Thats why im happy a full touch isnt a priority. The passport and the such have character. Thats what i hope stays around. Whats powering the BB skin isnt as important to me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    yvpan1 likes this.
    08-09-15 06:13 PM
    " ...but perhaps even more so polished..." You can polish a turd all day long, but it will still be a turd.

Android OS has inherent security flaws. Too many zero day vulnerabilities have been discovered in the past couple months, and many more to follow. These are security risks BlackBerry can't protect against because no one, not even Google, know what they are yet.

The Android app ecosystem has inherent personal data leaks, and privacy risks. On Android, you just grant apps access to whatever. You have to. You really don't have a choice if that flashlight app wants to view your private photo library.

BlackBerry10 was built on one of the smallest OS's in existence, QNX. Its small codebase limits the number of possible zero day vulnerabilities. And because it has been used for decades in high security environments like nuclear facilities, it has to be secure. Because its lightweight, your battery lasts longer, and native apps run well even on older hardware. Additionally, the app ecosystem is designed from the ground up to protect users and their privacy.

An Android BlackBerry will do the following:
    - Tarnish BlackBerry's reputation for security the moment the first zero day vulnerability is exploited on it.
    - Ruin BlackBerry's credibility on protecting user privacy.
    - Shatter the legacy of long-lasting batteries on BlackBerry devices. (We all know Android eats battery for breakfast).
    - Betray what few developers and security-conscious loyalists BlackBerry has left. People who will pay whatever the cost to have something distinctly NOT Android.

In short, releasing an Android BlackBerry would irreparably ruin the BlackBerry brand.

And it would soon become just another security company with a market capitalization too small to be noticed.
    Anilu7, DonPrego, Flatman and 11 others like this.
    08-09-15 06:16 PM
    The only part of an OS that I am interested in is the part that I interact with - the interface.

Assuming we have the HUB, gestures, BlackBerry keyboard, file manager, and BlackBerry-style notifications, I couldn't care less about the underlying OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    This is pretty much my take on it. BlackBerry is an experience. That experience has changed, especially in the transition from BBOS to BB10. And in fact, the launch version of BB10 was so thin that we had a lot people (not just BD) lamenting that BlackBerry had lost its identity. But BB10 has matured quickly and most of us appreciate it as true full-strength BlackBerry.

I expect the first iteration of Chendroid (that name just won't go away) to be disappointing to aficionados as well, but if it starts to move some phones I think we'll see rapid development.
    08-09-15 06:21 PM
    I agree with posters above who want a BlackBerry 10 experience. If this rumoured Android BlackBerry is a reality, that would that would my criterion for buying one - that it behave like a BlackBerry 10 device. I've used friend's Androids and don't like the UI. I find it 'cluttered' compared to BB10.

That being said, I support BlackBerry's efforts to grow so I hope this I I successful venture while also hoping for the growth of the BB10 OS.
    08-09-15 06:26 PM
    Java, qnx or Android. BlackBerry will be BlackBerry if their logo is on it.

I'm not to crazy about the keyboard but I sort of see the appeal....

But don't forget that blinking red light....show me any ios or Android device that doesn't require a plethora of led apps to make it function half right.

I'm all for a android BlackBerry Device.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 06:34 PM
    In the past I have commented that I would never own an Android phone, regardless of manufacturer or how it's wrapped, for many reasons, foremost being UI, stability, productivity and security .

That being said, if, by some miracle, BB was able to produce a phone running Android, that had the BB keyboard and toolbelt, the communication efficiency and Hub of BB10 with associated UI and gestures, and paramount: a secure core infrastructure, not an add-on like Knox or sandboxed partitions, with the ability to control (deny) individual app permisions and prevent said apps from running without user authorization, THEN I might actually seriously consider an Android OS BB.

I consider that a tall order and for as long as they've been trying to make an Android secure enough to be used on secure data networks without success, I'm not holding my breath. But then again, with BB's help, maybe.

My phone is primarily a tool for work. The phone that will best assist me with productivity, efficiency and do it securely, is the phone I'll use, and so far BB is the only phone to produce that for me and my company. For me it's not the brand, it's the product.

Posted via CB10
    bb8900edit, DonPrego and deiop like this.
    08-09-15 06:34 PM
    I have used android (GS4) for a month last year while switching carriers. I was disappointed greatly. I always thought I would go with Droid if something happened to BlackBerry. Now though I really don't know what I would do. Now BlackBerry mixed with Droid I think I would have to see it and try it out for a while before committing. What makes it a BlackBerry is, IMO, great design, durability, ease of use (1 one handed on occasion) and messaging first OS.
    08-09-15 06:35 PM
    I wonder how many Android users would also think 'Eh, that's not looking so bad now' since its running android and would give it a go
    08-09-15 06:39 PM
    What makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry is first and foremost a work horse.

Being hyper productive and having an edge when it's mission critical to accomplish many tasks in a short amount of time.

Having an extensive access to Android would just empower us more. Keeping the super structure foundation of the best of BB10 intact= Power and accessibility like we haven't seen before in mobile.

Sent via Passport!
    08-09-15 06:47 PM
    What makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry?

Well, what made BlackBerries BlackBerries in the first place? I'm pretty sure it ain't Android.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 06:50 PM
277 123 ...