I am using a 2.1 amp charger in the car and the battery still discharges slowly while using Waze. This never was a problem on my iPhone. Any thoughts here as to improve the power consumption so the phone doesn't discharge even while plugged in.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-31-16 10:43 AM
    Is the phone hot when you did that?

Because when the phone is hot, it might not be charging.
    08-31-16 10:48 AM
    Phone is not hot. The charging indicator is on but it discharges about 1% every 25 or so minutes.

08-31-16 10:51 AM
    I'm not sure but could you get a Quick Charger compliant charger for the car and pump more power in while Waze (other mapping apps) is running?
    08-31-16 12:30 PM
    One more data point when running waze in night mode the discharge is about 1% every 30 mins. The car charger is already a high output 2.1a charger. Can't even imagine what this would do on a standard 0.8a charger.

08-31-16 09:21 PM
    Mine works fine. Is the charger total 2.1a or 2.1a each port?

I'm using the BlackBerry car charger and it charges while in use.

08-31-16 09:24 PM
    Charger only has 1 port. I will look at some other chargers.

08-31-16 10:14 PM
    My Priv is able to *very slowly* add charge when on *wireless* charge in the car and running Waze. I have crafted a wireless charging pad to my car phone holder that clips on the air vent.

That implies the power consumption is somewhere around ~500ma with Waze running; this has been consistent over a large number of very long (~10+ hour each) trips the last couple of months.
    08-31-16 10:20 PM
    I have used Waze for a few years now and it has always been a heavy drain on the battery. Someone once called it drinking the battery.

Try turning off push notifications in the settings. It will give you warnings about missed messages but I have not noticed a problem. I suspect this push notification is polling a server every few seconds when it would really be just fine if it were every few minutes.

All the best, Doug
    08-31-16 10:39 PM
    Charger only has 1 port. I will look at some other chargers.

I use Waze about 20 hours/week and have never experienced discharge while using/plugged in. How far up is your screen brightness set? Is it at max perhaps!! Also, probably wise try a different USB connection wire too!! I only use BB wires, have had so many Devlin wires, but BB wires always work well...

Also, my phone always charges up when using Waze.

08-31-16 11:03 PM
    Ok I have turned off notifications and will see if that makes any difference.

08-31-16 11:06 PM
    1.download and install "aida64" to your priv;
    2.plug the charger;
    3.open "aida64", go to "Battery", check the "charge rate/discharge rate" value

with a 2A charger, the charge rate should be 1700mA or higher while the phone is in standby status.
    09-01-16 12:08 AM
    Make sure you are using a good cord. The BlackBerry one is the best. I have the same problem. I some times get am error about charming my phone faster and cable detection error. If you get either of these, uou will jane charging problems. Even with a 1a changer, this goes away if I use the BlackBerry use cord to charge.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 12:21 AM
    same issue with waze
    09-01-16 02:32 AM
    Yeah, me too, but only on Waze, not when using other apps. So strange!

Posted via my PRIV!
    09-01-16 05:43 PM
    I have had this issue with Google maps as well. The plug that is use in my car was cheap, so when I changed the wire to something of higher quality , my problem went away.

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    FF22 likes this.
    09-01-16 05:55 PM
    I recommend getting a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 certified charger. It makes a world of difference.

09-02-16 01:24 AM
    Google Maps both consumes more battery and roughly double​ the data of Waze.
    09-02-16 07:37 AM
    Google Maps both consumes more battery and roughly double​ the data of Waze.
    With Google having offline maps, I don't find this true anymore. For areas i normally travel I've had it download maps for offline use.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-02-16 08:20 AM
    That can be true but I find it rather worthless since I am all over the place (literally) and downloading the entire US would be a ridiculous proposition. The other issue with Google maps is that it has never supported displaying current speed and speed limits, which Waze does -- and which I find quite useful.

The only places I use the offline maps for is locations where I have reason to believe will have compromised or no cell service. There it's quite useful.
    09-02-16 10:26 AM
    I actually use Waze, DriveMode and Spotify all at once when I'm in my car. Earlier builds it's quite laggy but for the recent Marshmallow builds it seems fine. Worst was back in June, audio would start getting choppy.

Aside from the hot device warning (doesn't actually feel that hot, considering it's right under the sun in an open top convertible), it does charge just fine. I do have a Quick Charge car charger though.
    09-02-16 12:54 PM