Howdy again and again,

today I had to write so more text while I was out and with the Priv with me. I recognized, that the Priv has not the feature, that when u press letters like "a" "u" or "o" and hold them for a second, that they become a �, � �. It is really pretty long taking when its about long texting, the hold they letter, get to the screen with the finger, chose the umlauts with touch and get back to the pkp.

For that reason I would like to know: Is there ANY way to get this changed to a more rapid way?
    gizmo21 likes this.
    05-05-16 11:20 AM
    05-05-16 11:25 AM
    My language is already set to german (like i am from). still have the problem that umlaut access is only available when pressing and holding for example a and then chose � from the bottom part of the screen.
    05-05-16 11:42 AM
    On the P�ssport you can quickly t�p the Physical keys as soon as the ������� contextual row shows up to switch to the one you want. Does that work for the Priv?

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed.
    05-05-16 11:44 AM
    Hi Glenn,
    no this doesn't work but I found another interesting thing by this. . quicktab a letter turns into cursor mode. Didn't know that either! Well.. , of course it doesnt solve my problem
    05-05-16 11:48 AM
    How is setting it to one language faster?

You still have to longpress 'a' then move manually one step right on the virtual character-line, cause the first letter is why so ever a uppercase 'A' (which can also faster be typed by SHIFT+a.)

A way for quicker umlauts out there yet?-uploadfromtaptalk1462474992235.jpgA way for quicker umlauts out there yet?-uploadfromtaptalk1462475000575.jpg

This is one of the worst Umlaut entries i ever seen.

Colin Ho sadly didn't answer to my last suggestion in the other thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=12222027

Well it could be that longpress=UPPERCASE is in BlackBerry DNA, but you can do that with SHIFT key too on pkb. Perhaps an settings option to set longpresses frist character not to uppercase but to most common special/umlaut of the language used would be nice : e.g. � instead of A as first option

On top then
    SHIFT&Longpress&a should be �

Longpress is not very fast in writing flow, but better then longpress plus moving cursor to second position.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 05-05-16 at 02:05 PM.
    PloufsPuppet and Wheeljack2k like this.
    05-05-16 11:49 AM
    That is correct. Since for that we have a shift button I guess and it is not neccessary to change it. So are there any other ways?

Also is there any email contact possible to the devs to request an update? Shouldn't be that hard to change since the regular keyboards (for germany for example) all do it the other way (longpressing = umlaut).
    05-05-16 12:15 PM
    Double tap for the cursor is a neat trick, I'm glad that works on the Priv!

BlackBerry 10, CB10 signed.
    05-05-16 12:30 PM
    How is setting it to one language faster?
    You're talking to a guy who needs to switch the whole keyboard to type Chinese.
    05-05-16 12:38 PM
    05-05-16 02:00 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1462474992235.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	399084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1462475000575.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	399085

Picture upload only as Tapatalk edit couldn't ADD pictures directly in oder post.
    05-05-16 02:03 PM
    You're talking to a guy who needs to switch the whole keyboard to type Chinese.
    No i didn't mean that switching is taking long, i meant even if you switch permanently to German only the Umlaut entry doesn"t get better.

BTW why does english autocorrect fixes didn't and doesn't to didn"t and doesn"t?
    05-05-16 02:11 PM
    This might help: go to the keyboard settings inside the "Language and Input" section of Settings. Then navigate to Word Substitution and select the language which you are most frequently needing the special character in (I'm guessing German?). The put in something distinctive you can quickly type out and doesn't resemble an actual word / part of a word and put the substitution as � or whatever else you might want. Example: have � be put in everytime you type in aum (as in a-umlaut, just a suggestion).

I don't know if that would work when you're mid-word though. If it's a handful of words with umlauts that come up often, just have them be substituted altogether when you type the word without.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-05-16 02:14 PM
    No i didn't mean that switching is taking long, i meant even if you switch permanently to German only the Umlaut entry doesn"t get better.

BTW why does english autocorrect fixes didn't and doesn't to didn"t and doesn"t?
    I've never seen that. But then I've also practically turned off autocorrect on my PKB and 90% of the time on that.
    05-05-16 03:12 PM
    This might help: go to the keyboard settings inside the "Language and Input" section of Settings. Then navigate to Word Substitution and select the language which you are most frequently needing the special character in (I'm guessing German?). The put in something distinctive you can quickly type out and doesn't resemble an actual word / part of a word and put the substitution as � or whatever else you might want. Example: have � be put in everytime you type in aum (as in a-umlaut, just a suggestion).

I don't know if that would work when you're mid-word though. If it's a handful of words with umlauts that come up often, just have them be substituted altogether when you type the word without.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    While an interesting idea, the problem is that on the Priv (as opposed to bb10), they do not have a BACKSPACE macro. So you could not close up the SPACE generated in typing that string. See, I use SpaceVSpace to make a Question Mark. But I'm left with a space before it.
    05-05-16 07:02 PM
    Mine does not do "didn"t" so there must be something amiss.

And, frankly, it's time to simplify languages of all kinds.

Help:

Stamp out Umlauts!
    Last edited by F2; 05-05-16 at 07:59 PM.
    05-05-16 07:02 PM
    Mine does not do "didn"t" so there must be something amiss.
    Ok i put that in a seperate thread with pictures: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...pdate-1072729/

And, frankly, it's time to simplify languages of all kinds.

Help:

Stamp out Umlauts!
    ...yeah and UPPERCASE too and if i about it get of all those characters and only use
    FF22 likes this.
    05-06-16 02:46 AM
    Have the feeling something will be done about the umlauts / accents input.
    05-09-16 03:01 PM
    FinQwerty, which now has support for the Priv, is now in open beta. It has support for the following umlauts: Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and German.

Join the open beta here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing...qwerty.finnish

I hope you find it useful.
    08-11-16 12:11 AM
    Just my way of dealing with it, I have a huge word substitution list with all the words that I use 95% of the time that substitutes 'glueck -> gl�ck' for example! This is at first a tedious process, but is needed just once and now I can type lightning fast by always using ae, oe, ue and so on
    FF22 likes this.
    08-11-16 02:21 AM
    I've never seen that. But then I've also practically turned off autocorrect on my PKB and 90% of the time on that.
    Turn it back on. You wont have this problem. Otherwise, go to word predictions and write down (example) uber and make it change to �ber. Do this for the words you use most. You'll never have this problem. Many ways to get you what you want.

If you really want to be typing the words and letters all the time, you'll have this problem.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-11-16 03:50 AM
    Another thread out there might help you..

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1057622
    08-11-16 04:12 AM