I want bb10 to stay and so do many others, but I'm prepared to let it go if that's what BlackBerry needs to do.
    But if you are prepared to let BB10 go, why not let BlackBerry go all together? What purpose does BlackBerry have if it is just another Android OEM? I mean personally, if they are going to dump Bb10, I'd like to see them just dump their poor QA handset division all together and just be an EMM/MDM company with software for iOS and Android. Or I'd rather see them fold and someone else take their technology and make it successful. I'm not a shareholder, and I'm not Canadian so no nationalistic attachment to them.

Posted via Z30
    09-20-15 09:02 AM
    Classic response. I like the thought process of an android BlackBerry that will help keep BB10 a possibility. I'm looking forward to the new slider.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 09:06 AM
    If it were running BB10, then you could have a point, but if it is running Android, then it is not an update to the Z30 at all, it is a completely different platform, requiring a transition, that won't run any of the BlackBerry 10 apps anyone has invested in. I've gone from BBOS to PlayBook to BB10, and to ignore their past in what they are going to do with their future is foolish. They have never, ever cared about the end user of the phones, and still do not, and that is why they will not be successful again. The price of this phone will be too high IMHO to be a sales success, because Android users/buyer are cheap for the most part, and something better will be out soon. Their regulated markets will have to test it forever because it is Android, all while most are already certifying iOS 9 for deployment.

Posted via Z30
    Yeah, I did mean the hardware, I understand a lot of people want it with BB10. Despite me thinking android + BES12 is a great strategy for all the businesses wanting BYOD, I also hope there will be a BB10 version coming out, as I feel BB10 would be great for organisations needing ultra-secure certified COBO devices.

In the long run I hope BlackBerry can use their newfound relevance in the market to convince/bribe developers to build native BB10 apps and slowly build up from there. (The alternative would be no new handsets from Blackberry at all, and that strategy I like much less.)

The price argument I am also worried about, I hope it will have the same price as the Samsung S6 Edge. No more, no less.
    09-20-15 09:16 AM
    But if you are prepared to let BB10 go, why not let BlackBerry go all together? What purpose does BlackBerry have if it is just another Android OEM? I mean personally, if they are going to dump Bb10, I'd like to see them just dump their poor QA handset division all together and just be an EMM/MDM company with software for iOS and Android. Or I'd rather see them fold and someone else take their technology and make it successful. I'm not a shareholder, and I'm not Canadian so no nationalistic attachment to them.
    I would like them to stay in business even with Android because they have the best keyboard out there, and I trust their word on securing android more than I do Samsung and the like (even if they do not get it perfect the first time, few ever do). Security is BlackBerry's major core competency, they have the internal processes, the right hires, etc, to do this right. BlackBerry is bound to take securing android more seriously than Samsung, after all, their reputation is at stake.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    09-20-15 09:25 AM
    Classic response. I like the thought process of an android BlackBerry that will help keep BB10 a possibility. I'm looking forward to the new slider.

Posted via CB10
    Cool thought process but what good does it do if it's only that. I'm also looking forward to the new slider, conditionally.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 10:03 AM
    sick burn
    09-20-15 10:22 AM
    They should have the slider available on various networks since now, this phone does meet the criteria of a regular "iPhone/Android user" meaning that its not oddly shaped and it runs on an OS many people are familiar with.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-20-15 10:24 AM
    @LDUDIAZ, The name of the site and community is Crackberry, it's obvious that the realities of the industry are distorted around here.

To ensure I am super clear, I am a serious member of this community and will be till it or me is over. That being said, the real insight in the comment you made was that Blackberry had it's chance. I'm on record on this blog stating that BB is the worst technology brand on the planet ( The product is great) the brand and strategic business direction is just a mess.

The reason I state that is to point out the reality, and it's this--- regardless of the moves the company makes in the hardware business, it is doomed. Think Myspace of the mobile industry. It's a great lesson for CEO's and Founders of companies trying to compete in today's marketplace. Take care of the corporate image, perception and market sentiment as well as the product. One cannot thrive without the other!!!

If I were to sit with the BB CEO, and was asked for an outsiders counsel , my 2 cents would be, fix the brand by becoming great at something that nobody see's coming, don't waste too much energy slugging it out in a contest where the market thinks/says you are a non-factor.

In an honest assessment, I use 3 devices iphone6, Motox, BBZ30. The BB is hands down more efficient, more productive, etc, but it's really based on a certain viewpoint and use case. The general market wants to talk about photography, app store size and how many cores the phone's chip has. I won't even get into those conversations, but what I can say is , since BB won't play in the material design game, marketing game and crowd pleasing game, it's best to stay out of it and compete in a different game.

The point of my long winded reply is this: Don't expect huge sales numbers, the BB name is no longer respected by the marketplace and even though this device looks very good, the name will kill any chance of any subjective viewpoints and consideration.

I'm still getting one!!
    Good points. I wish I could have explained it the way you did, but English is my second language and the thoughts don't come out the same as my native one.

I am definitely getting the slider when it comes out. I have tried other Android phones but none with a pkb.

Posted via CB10
    BBSpring likes this.
    09-20-15 10:45 AM
    The shortsighted opinions of these so called hardcore users just continues to amuse me everyday without fail.
    It's all a matter of degrees. If BlackBerry were a parent and BB10 were it's kid, we'd be in a "Cats in the Cradle" situation here. Sure, BlackBerry still has custody and provides for the kids basic needs, but there's no nurturing. Explain it as "there were planes to catch and bills to pay", but decimating the OS development / developer relations teams ISN'T 'good parenting'.

09-20-15 10:52 AM
    Why should we throw money at BlackBerry for yet another transition
    Because for me anyway, they are adopting a platform that's widely supported instead of hopelessly trying to wedge their way into a market that doesn't want more platforms.

If I buy the Android slider, and it has access to Google Play then I know I will always be able to use pretty much any app with no shortcomings.

Now if you look at the Berry flow article about the slider using a hardened Linux kernel, I am wondering if it will run just any Android app, or not.??

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-20-15 11:09 AM
    It's actually a BlackBerry phone with android software on it. Life is unfair. Not sure when was the last time you didn't get your way, but you're not the only one. Unfortunately for those of us who are like you, we either accept the reality that BlackBerry adopts android or we adopt a different OS. Never know, maybe offering android as an alternative will bring in the necessary hardware sales to become relevant again. The more people who know BlackBerry still sells to consumers, the better it will be for the company. The better the company is, the more risks they take. I want bb10 to stay and so do many others, but I'm prepared to let it go if that's what BlackBerry needs to do.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe your prepared to go quietly to Android, but that's like being an iSheep just following the pack. Me I want a Blackberry slider with a Blackberry OS why is that such an issue on Crackberry?
    09-20-15 03:09 PM
    Maybe your prepared to go quietly to Android, but that's like being an iSheep just following the pack. Me I want a Blackberry slider with a Blackberry OS why is that such an issue on Crackberry?
    I guess cause most view it as a want and not what's going to be got.
    09-20-15 03:16 PM
    Interesting but the comments that 'BlackBerry is abandoning' their current users isn't really accurate. If you really like BlackBerry 10, chill and let BlackBerry do their Android thing because it just may be the thing that actually pays to keep BlackBerry 10 going. You don't need to buy it, if you hate it that much. But if it succeeds, you'll benefit from it as a BlackBerry 10 user.
    Why should we believe this? That makes no sense from a business perspective.

BlackBerry just spent half-a-billion dollars on the acquisition of a lossy EMM company. It's pretty clear that BlackBerry is routing its cash to a different incinerator than BB10 development.

At some point, I think that the FTC should begin to investigate CrackBerry. You must be receiving some kind of compensation from BlackBerry, reviewing BlackBerry products, and not disclosing that compensation. But, the worst thing is CB's pro-management perspective when BlackBerry management works contrary to the interests of the CB user base. That's just weird. I don't believe you are being paid for that, I just think you'd rather watch the platform die slowly than fight for it.

Regardless of whether BlackBerry releases Android for BlackBerry or not, if BlackBerry does not release a truckload of upgrades to BB10 and show ecosystem support this fall, CB should call for BlackBerry to do the right thing and spin BlackBerry10 off to a well-funded open source foundation or to a well-funded company like Qualcomm / Lenovo. I think the minimum contribution Chen owes a foundation is $100 million. Mike L might chip in something, as well. BlackBerry can provide an 'upgrade' path to Android for existing BlackBerry users and further support and upgrades will be the responsibility of the foundation or the new owner.

Chen will have taken BlackBerry from being a distant player in the mobile computing platform race to being merely a device manufacturer with no platform of its own. It's times like these that you can really appreciate Nadella over at Microsoft.

But, let's face it, while CB never reported it (shock), many people had concerns when Chen was hired that Chen was simply taking over as CEO to facilitate a long term plan for a sale to Silver Lake, and a big part of that is making the transaction clean by downsizing or eliminating BlackBerry 10, which is about a big future payoff than can't be quantified in anything other than expenses right now. The likely buyers would just be interested in the MDM/EMM solution and we'd be talking about a grand goal of like 15 bucks a share. Nothing near the successful days of Mike and Thor when they were reaching, no platform building. No reaching, just strip and focus on saleability. If that's the case, and I'm not saying that it is, but if it is, you'll be doing John Chen's bidding by calling for him to open up or sell BB10. And if it's not John Chen's bidding, you'll be calling for something in the interests of CB readers.

Just do it. You know you want to. Secretly, underneath all the MDM coverage here (and it's been fairly good work), you're here because you love the platform that once was and could be again. Let's divorce from BlackBerry and make a move on the future!

Posted via CB10
    lnichols, extisis and 1Criz like this.
    09-20-15 03:42 PM

Posted via Z30
    You aren't REALLY comparing BlackBerry with all the other Androi OEMs, are you? Do you realise how little sense that makes?

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    09-20-15 03:47 PM
    I guess cause most view it as a want and not what's going to be got.
    I guess I'm just a stubborn old guy who has always given HIS OWN opinion, to old to change now.
    09-20-15 04:03 PM
    Why should we believe this? That makes no sense from a business perspective.

BlackBerry just spent half-a-billion dollars on the acquisition of a lossy EMM company. It's pretty clear that BlackBerry is routing its cash to a different incinerator than BB10 development.

At some point, I think that the FTC should begin to investigate CrackBerry. You must be receiving some kind of compensation from BlackBerry, reviewing BlackBerry products, and not disclosing that compensation. But, the worst thing is CB's pro-management perspective when BlackBerry management works contrary to the interests of the CB user base. That's just weird. I don't believe you are being paid for that, I just think you'd rather watch the platform die slowly than fight for it.

Regardless of whether BlackBerry releases Android for BlackBerry or not, if BlackBerry does not release a truckload of upgrades to BB10 and show ecosystem support this fall, CB should call for BlackBerry to do the right thing and spin BlackBerry10 off to a well-funded open source foundation or to a well-funded company like Qualcomm / Lenovo. I think the minimum contribution Chen owes a foundation is $100 million. Mike L might chip in something, as well. BlackBerry can provide an 'upgrade' path to Android for existing BlackBerry users and further support and upgrades will be the responsibility of the foundation or the new owner.

Chen will have taken BlackBerry from being a distant player in the mobile computing platform race to being merely a device manufacturer with no platform of its own. It's times like these that you can really appreciate Nadella over at Microsoft.

But, let's face it, while CB never reported it (shock), many people had concerns when Chen was hired that Chen was simply taking over as CEO to facilitate a long term plan for a sale to Silver Lake, and a big part of that is making the transaction clean by downsizing or eliminating BlackBerry 10, which is about a big future payoff than can't be quantified in anything other than expenses right now. The likely buyers would just be interested in the MDM/EMM solution and we'd be talking about a grand goal of like 15 bucks a share. Nothing near the successful days of Mike and Thor when they were reaching, no platform building. No reaching, just strip and focus on saleability. If that's the case, and I'm not saying that it is, but if it is, you'll be doing John Chen's bidding by calling for him to open up or sell BB10. And if it's not John Chen's bidding, you'll be calling for something in the interests of CB readers.

Just do it. You know you want to. Secretly, underneath all the MDM coverage here (and it's been fairly good work), you're here because you love the platform that once was and could be again. Let's divorce from BlackBerry and make a move on the future!

Posted via CB10
    WTH do you expect him or anyone at CB or on CB to do?

Like anyone here has any kind of say on what BlackBerry does
    09-20-15 04:04 PM
    I won't be buying anything that does not have the BB hub functionality or BB build quality and reliability, that is for sure and I believe with me are many other professionals that depend on their phone and emails.

I just think it is not acceptable that BB is not listening to its loyal business customers who want a replaceable battery, better specs and dual sim with a better camera and a larger screen. These specs are not out of the normal market place e.g. Elephone has an android with super specs (3400 mah battery) 13M camera with stabilizer, dual sim, sd slot, 5" screen for a few hundred dollars (under 300 I am sure), but it runs android and is thus a hassle to work with. Why can't BB see what the market professionals need and want ??
    09-20-15 04:06 PM
    I thought that's who Chen said he is listening to? Evidently those who view themselves in that category here are not.
    09-20-15 04:16 PM
    TL;DW

This thread is click bait.
    Not a very interesting perspective.
    Takes eight minutes to say that a BlackBerry running Android is not a BlackBerry.
    Kind of funny when he says Venus instead of Venice.
    Come on man....
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 09-20-15 at 05:06 PM.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-20-15 04:48 PM
    aren't Sprint & Verizon going away from the 2 year thing? that only leaves 2 as an option for that. i'm assuming you live in my country.
    Was told by a vzw rep that the contract is still an option because they decided not to ditch it. Might just be for current customers though.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 04:54 PM
    WTH do you expect him or anyone at CB or on CB to do?

Like anyone here has any kind of say on what BlackBerry does
    I expect him to publicly disclose that Mobile Nations has taken money from BlackBerry per FTC rules and propose that BlackBerry spin off BB10 to a better company. Will either of those things happen? Probably not. But, it's better than joining Chen and cheering for BlackBerry as it continues to siphon money from CB readers while trying to transition away from serving the interests of CB readers.

Bla1ze doesn't have to agree with me that EMM is boring to his readers or that Chen lacks vision and will succeed at best in making BlackBerry a stable, mediocre software company. But, he should refrain from suggesting that BlackBerry will reinvest device sales profits in BB10. Unless, of course, he has proof of that intention?

BTW, I *like* Bla1ze and I think he's better at what he does than Chen is at what Chen does. But, CB has been oddly supportive of Chen as he has burnt BB10 to the ground.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BlackberryFan777; 09-20-15 at 05:23 PM.
    09-20-15 05:06 PM

"Posted from the Beast PP"
    Not really that interesting.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 05:12 PM
    At some point, I think that the FTC should begin to investigate CrackBerry. You must be receiving some kind of compensation from BlackBerry, reviewing BlackBerry products, and not disclosing that compensation.
    And with those two sentences alleging possible criminal misconduct the discussion terminates, at least until reviewed by management.
    BigBadWulf and southlander like this.
    09-20-15 06:46 PM
123 ... 345