Consider the market strategy.
    If BlackBerry could sell some phones to Android users, they'd sell more devices.
    If some of the new users like the hardware they might stick with the label!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    09-19-15 05:04 AM
    I am a vocal proponent of BlackBerry securing android going forward, but I do no agree with this.

BlackBerry 10 is, in my opinion, a much better engineered OS, and it is the cornerstone of BlackBerry's future in IoT (automotive, etc), and the most secure system out there.

I hope BlackBerry 10 is still developed and handsets sold as the ultra-secure COBO alternative (without the android runtime, android apps make the system feel bad, native apps feel great). Hopefully BlackBerry can spend some of the momentum they gain with an increased marketshare to get developers to build native BB10 apps that the enterprise needs.
    Not just for enterprise down the road hopefully. Seriously. If they can get back on their feet and get people to look at BlackBerry again why not get devs going again for consumers as well? I have a total of 4 android apps on my phone atm that I put there myself. One is amazon prime music, ( hey I'm paying for it, might as well use it) 2 are shooting apps that I use infrequently, and frankly I'm not even sure there are 4 lol. Have I had more than that? Yes, but obviously didn't need or want them that bad or they would still be there. Get back on your feet BlackBerry and bring os10 back with a roar and enough apps for all, not just enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 05:20 AM
    Interesting but the comments that 'BlackBerry is abandoning' their current users isn't really accurate. If you really like BlackBerry 10, chill and let BlackBerry do their Android thing because it just may be the thing that actually pays to keep BlackBerry 10 going. You don't need to buy it, if you hate it that much. But if it succeeds, you'll benefit from it as a BlackBerry 10 user.
    May I ask, can a BlackBerry 10 skin be made to look like our favorite os of all time?

Z10
    09-19-15 05:27 AM
    No disrespect to him, we are in the same BBM group, but this guy doesn't make a lot of valid points. I think it's crazy that people are telling BlackBerry that their device isn't a BlackBerry. Come on. Plus offering an upgrade doesn't mean that you are abandoning your users. Whatever next. I agree with Blaze when he says that it's this Android thing that's going to allow the survival of BB10.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 05:35 AM
    To everyone saying that BlackBerry will still be BlackBerry while running Android, just take a step back and look at what you're saying. It's pretty Ludacris to believe that handset is going to have the same look and feel of a BlackBerry phone simply because it has a keyboard and a BlackBerry logo.

The Venice is NOT a BlackBerry phone, it's a nexus with a pkb, stop lying to yourselves. And if this is what BlackBerry chooses to move away from bb10 for, I'm very pessimistic about the future of truly productive handsets.

 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 
    blackmoe and acovey like this.
    09-19-15 05:40 AM
    Not just for enterprise down the road hopefully. Seriously. If they can get back on their feet and get people to look at BlackBerry again why not get devs going again for consumers as well? I have a total of 4 android apps on my phone atm that I put there myself. One is amazon prime music, ( hey I'm paying for it, might as well use it) 2 are shooting apps that I use infrequently, and frankly I'm not even sure there are 4 lol. Have I had more than that? Yes, but obviously didn't need or want them that bad or they would still be there. Get back on your feet BlackBerry and bring os10 back with a roar and enough apps for all, not just enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, I fully agree. I think initially they should get developers to build enterprise apps, because that is what COBO devices need. But a growing market share may mean that more consumers also try BB10, and with it more developer interest.
    09-19-15 05:51 AM
    May I ask, can a BlackBerry 10 skin be made to look like our favorite os of all time?

Z10
    I doubt it, but as long as BlackBerry keep maintaining BB10 and it is possible to buy or load it onto new handsets we may be able to keep using it (without android runtime, but that cost is worth it to keep BlackBerry alive).
    09-19-15 05:56 AM
    Bb10 is getting playbooked, get over it.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    09-19-15 05:58 AM
    I don't buy this 'Android slider is beneficial for Bb10 users' theory.

If it's not successful, their phone branch will die anyway.

If successful, they will move their entire product line towards Android IMHO.

Not even companies ten times bigger than BlackBerry have ever succeeded in developing/maintaining two different mobile phone operating system lines.

Sometimes, these huge companies didn't even succeed in keeping one self made OS line alive.
    acovey and RezzaBuh like this.
    09-19-15 06:13 AM

Not even companies ten times bigger than BlackBerry have ever succeeded in developing/maintaining two different mobile phone operating system lines.

Sometimes, these huge companies didn't even succeed in keeping one self made OS line alive.
    To your point, BB10 users need to move on. So why not continue supporting BlackBerry? BlackBerry Android is the next best thing perhaps. BlackBerry will put its touches on the phone to improve productivity and security in order to give users some of the key benefits of BB10. And users will get all of the apps they want. Arguably making it an overall better device for more people.

Passport on AT&T
    ckch and DolemiteDONS like this.
    09-19-15 06:30 AM

I'm totally with you on that one. As a former android user who switched to bb10 for many more reasons than simply a pkb it's a scary concept to think that the pkb might be all they really have left over android phones in a couple of years. And I really don't see how it would be feasible to try and keep both OS's successful on BlackBerry hardware

 PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 
    acovey likes this.
    09-19-15 06:31 AM
    i watched the video.
    the irony of that being his gimmick "it's not a Blackberry it's an Android device" will (hopefully) be what make it more popular than any BB10 ever was...
    i don't like phablets but i must admit the Venice looks very good hardware-wise.
    For all the rant about Blackberry ditching its core users etc. i'd wait and see what Blackberry really implemented on that integration of Android OS before making any judgment.
    Maybe they actually did something different and not only put a BB10 layer (security included) on a common Android version...
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-19-15 06:44 AM

Z10
    A os5 skin would be awesome great idea.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 07:45 AM
    Interesting but the comments that 'BlackBerry is abandoning' their current users isn't really accurate. If you really like BlackBerry 10, chill and let BlackBerry do their Android thing because it just may be the thing that actually pays to keep BlackBerry 10 going. You don't need to buy it, if you hate it that much. But if it succeeds, you'll benefit from it as a BlackBerry 10 user.
    Could not agree more Bla1ze. It's becoming very clear the hardware division can not succeed with BlackBerry 10 devices alone.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 07:57 AM
    This is crazy, so BB will dumb BB10 currently running on 6 devices for android which is in only 1 device that they are hoping to be a hit in the consumer market space......OK
    Yall should chill. BB is an engineering firm, we dont even know how they are implementing lolipop, i bet you its not just skins.
    09-19-15 08:06 AM
    Yeah because letting BB10 just sit there in limbo, with little to no improvement, because they are incapable of working on two OS's at one (PlayBook proved that), will do wonders for those of us that want a high end, all touch BB10 device. That isn't abandoning your customers, just ignoring them.

Posted via Z30
    1Criz likes this.
    09-19-15 08:14 AM
    Blackberry is a business they are in business to make money and presently bb10 platform isnt making money its called a business decision
    Is it? By the way most people talk of their decision to attempt to rejuvenate the handset business via android you'd think they were a non -profit organization.

Posted via CB10
    DolemiteDONS and ayngling like this.
    09-19-15 08:20 AM
    To your point, BB10 users need to move on. So why not continue supporting BlackBerry? BlackBerry Android is the next best thing perhaps. BlackBerry will put its touches on the phone to improve productivity and security in order to give users some of the key benefits of BB10. And users will get all of the apps they want. Arguably making it an overall better device for more people.

Passport on AT&T
    Why should we throw money at BlackBerry for yet another transition when they did absolutely nothing to make the last transitions and devices successful? At some point you just have to say they will botch everything they do, and move on!

Posted via Z30
    09-19-15 08:23 AM
    Why should we throw money at BlackBerry for yet another transition when they did absolutely nothing to make the last transitions and devices successful? At some point you just have to say they will botch everything they do, and move on!

Posted via Z30
    This time you are buying into Googles ecosystem not BlackBerry trying to build a new one from scratch after dumping a already built bbos ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    09-19-15 08:30 AM
    Why should we throw money at BlackBerry for yet another transition when they did absolutely nothing to make the last transitions and devices successful?
    Really, you don't think they tried all they could? Just because you don't agree with their decisions doesn't mean they "did nothing". They were better informed than we are when they made those decisions, even.

They tried something, but it didn't work. I for one will keep supporting them for awhile longer, they keep fighting, most organizations would have given up by now.

I love BB10, much more than I like android or any other platform, but they could not get enough developer momentum to make it popular for professionals' leisure needs. I would rather have a BlackBerry customized productive android than nothing, and all respect to them for the ballsy move to go to android. They know they are painting a big bullseye on their back, and securing android is a monumental task.
    09-19-15 08:35 AM
    Yeah because letting BB10 just sit there in limbo, with little to no improvement, because they are incapable of working on two OS's at one (PlayBook proved that), will do wonders for those of us that want a high end, all touch BB10 device. That isn't abandoning your customers, just ignoring them.

Posted via Z30
    What's so difficult to understand about the fact that 'those of us that want a high end, all touch BB10 device' could not buy enough devices to justify making them?

If you would rather BlackBerry shut down its device business (and never make a device again) instead of trying with Android (a device you will never consider), then I guess the result is all the same for you.

However for the rest of us more open minded people, I think we would rather go with the latter.

Unbelievable... just unbelievable.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 08:42 AM
    Could not agree more Bla1ze. It's becoming very clear the hardware division can not succeed with BlackBerry 10 devices alone.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    OK.
    But still no explanation why a potential success of an Android device will be beneficial for bb10 users, and how a comparably small and financially not overly strong company like BlackBerry will keep 2 mobile product lines alive.
    09-19-15 09:14 AM
    This guy is one of those like many crackberry members (no offense) here that are obsessed with BB10, don't get me wrong I love BB10. But should blackberry stay with BB10 to satisfy the 100 crackberry fans? Let's face it only crackberry members know/like about BB10.

And yes if you put the name blackberry in any other device it IS still blackberry. Just because is not running BB10 doesn't mean is not a blackberry phone. People should stop this non sense, BB10 is doing nothing for BlackBerry that's why the are going Android and that is the best decision that Mr. Chen would ever do for Blackberry

Just because you're a fan of BB10 doesn't mean it's working for BlackBerry. Stop holding on to the past and embrace the future and that future is Android moving forward for BlackBerry.

And stop the security comments people please, if government agencies and corporations can use Android so can you, so can you.

Oh and BlackBerry is not abandoning anyone they are just making decisions in the best interest of the company.

Disclaimer : I've been using BlackBerry since their black and white screen phones.

Posted via CB10
    When you see a guy with an android phone, is the first thirst thing that pops in your head that its a Samsung phone? HTC? Sony? Or is it just easier to generalize it and label it as a Android phone?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-19-15 09:21 AM
    OK.
    But still no explanation why a potential success of an Android device will be beneficial for bb10 users, and how a comparably small and financially not overly strong company like BlackBerry will keep 2 mobile product lines alive.

TL;DR: 1) by showing the world that BlackBerry is still relevant and will not disappear, they can work to slowly convert people to BB10, 2) BB10 is good enough as is to last awhile without much cost
    ----

I'll try. BB10 is stable and fairly feature complete for it to live in its current form for awhile, at least for people using it as a COBO device with little use of consumer apps. The android runtime will have to disappear from new versions of the os due to contractual obligations from Google, but that is a cost we have to bear for BlackBerry to continue in the handset business, so it is not a loss (no new handsets would be worse).

If this secured android is a success, BlackBerry will have re-branded itself as a company that is still relevant. This means more opportunities for partnerships, carrier marketing etc. A stable presence in the market means more people will be comfortable doing business with BlackBerry, as big companies do not like the risk of a supplier that may go out of business.

Once BlackBerry can loose the image of a dinosaur, they can start developing BB10 again, and promote it as an alternative. Developers can be convinced, or bribed, to develop enterprise and consumer apps for BB10, and they can slowly build a following.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    09-19-15 09:38 AM
    An interesting observation are the people that have clearly been slighted by BlackBerry and show it time and time again on this site. Quite a few people have commented on this exact issue. Fortunately they are a very small minority here and continue to live in the past.

The slider will be a win-win for BlackBerry outside of the Android/BB10 debate.

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    09-19-15 09:40 AM
123 1234 ...