Well this was an interesting thread to read...I was a BlackBerry user till I decided to leave my bold and to the apple world. And when the classic came out I switched back and now on to the priv...I love my priv but the updates are needed as you all say I am going to stick this out for 3 months see where it goes... and to the announcement that BlackBerry is not longer going to make the hardware...but I know Alcatel is going to make the hardware now? Aka dtek 50...Or am I totally wrong...I listened to Chen discuss a new keyboard android phone rumor?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 11:46 PM
    Well this was an interesting thread to read...I was a BlackBerry user till I decided to leave my bold and to the apple world. And when the classic came out I switched back and now on to the priv...I love my priv but the updates are needed as you all say I am going to stick this out for 3 months see where it goes... and to the announcement that BlackBerry is not longer going to make the hardware...but I know Alcatel is going to make the hardware now? Aka dtek 50...Or am I totally wrong...I listened to Chen discuss a new keyboard android phone rumor?

Posted via CB10
    Alcatel made the hardware for the DTEK 50 and will continue their partnership for the DTEK 60. No hardware partners have been announced for another Android phone with PKB, but time will tell where the BlackBerry PKB will end up under Chen's leadership.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-16 02:46 AM
    But don't they have a vested financial interest in any device that is still on a monthly payment plan?
    Correct, and those are the ones I believe BB wouldn't take a chance on direct updating.
    And since you couldn't get that version from anybody except Verizon, I'd bet money that it accounts for over 75% of them.
    09-30-16 06:04 AM
    Well, I just got an email fro FCC saying that Verizon replied to them and I will get a reply within 7-10 days, and they are closing the complaint. I am pushing back, saying a response letter is not sufficient. Providing reasonable security to protect user identity, and information is part of the Verizon permit to operate in the wireless spectrum, and they are failing to meet this requirement. Saying they are testing is not a reasonable answer when all other US providers find a way to provide timely security updates.

Posted on my Still Awesome Z30
    FF22 and ggendel like this.
    09-30-16 10:23 AM
    Well, I just got an email fro FCC saying that Verizon replied to them and I will get a reply within 7-10 days, and they are closing the complaint. I am pushing back, saying a response letter is not sufficient. Providing reasonable security to protect user identity, and information is part of the Verizon permit to operate in the wireless spectrum, and they are failing to meet this requirement. Saying they are testing is not a reasonable answer when all other US providers find a way to provide timely security updates.

Posted on my Still Awesome Z30
    Keep up the fight, but the FCC has their hands tied on this issue until they create new regulations. I got a "final" letter from Verizon Excutive Services. They gave the same answer about not knowing when Marshmallow would be available for the Priv. I don't know how many times I told them that this isn't about Marshmallow but about security patches. I don't think they even bothered to read the FCC complaint.

On the good side, I obviously hit a nerve as they claimed I was "causing unnecessary disruptions to our business." I belly laughed when I read that. How much effort could they possibly have expended to send the same form letter response to the FCC once a month. They could have cut this short by answering my real question: "Was Verizon working to resolve this?" So I spent the last 4+ months of phone calls and emails, made complaints to the FCC, FTC, and my state's attorney general, wrote to the VP of Verizon Wireless, the head of the FCC/FTC investigation on this matter and others. All they had to say was "Yes", or "No" (documented in FCC complaint because I don't trust them as they would tell me one thing and the FCC another).

Even funnier was that they forgot to sign it, just "Sincerely," and then nothing. At least they spelled my name right this time.
    bibbula and 00stryder like this.
    09-30-16 01:18 PM
    Keep up the fight, but the FCC has their hands tied on this issue until they create new regulations. I got a "final" letter from Verizon Excutive Services. They gave the same answer about not knowing when Marshmallow would be available for the Priv. I don't know how many times I told them that this isn't about Marshmallow but about security patches. I don't think they even bothered to read the FCC complaint.

On the good side, I obviously hit a nerve as they claimed I was "causing unnecessary disruptions to our business." I belly laughed when I read that. How much effort could they possibly have expended to send the same form letter response to the FCC once a month. They could have cut this short by answering my real question: "Was Verizon working to resolve this?" So I spent the last 4+ months of phone calls and emails, made complaints to the FCC, FTC, and my state's attorney general, wrote to the VP of Verizon Wireless, the head of the FCC/FTC investigation on this matter and others. All they had to say was "Yes", or "No" (documented in FCC complaint because I don't trust them as they would tell me one thing and the FCC another).

Even funnier was that they forgot to sign it, just "Sincerely," and then nothing. At least they spelled my name right this time.
    I have an interesting perspective on "Sincerely." On occasion I would sign special letters "Very Truly Yours." My secretary would, of course, fix it and suggest that was old fashioned. I had to inform each new secretary over the years that "very truly yours" meant "F Y!!!!" Even if it did not mean anything to the recipient it just made me feel better!

(hope no recipients are reading this!)
    misterabrasive and 00stryder like this.
    09-30-16 01:52 PM
    I have an interesting perspective on "Sincerely." On occasion I would sign special letters "Very Truly Yours." My secretary would, of course, fix it and suggest that was old fashioned. I had to inform each new secretary over the years that "very truly yours" meant "F Y!!!!" Even if it did not mean anything to the recipient it just made me feel better!

(hope no recipients are reading this!)
    Dear Verizon,

Very Truly Yours,
    Priv Owners

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    6120111, siglerm, FF22 and 5 others like this.
    09-30-16 02:33 PM
    Well, just amended my info to the FCC:

"I just wanted to inform you that Blackberry has issued a October Security Update for the Blackberry Priv.

Verizon has not issued any security updates since June. In case someone needs to count, that means that Verizon has NOT issued security updates for this phone in July (one), August (two), September (three) and now October (four). We are now FOUR MONTHS behind in security. Also, if I recall, there was a special security update to address the "quadrooter" exploit. So that's FOUR months where the manufacturer, Blackberry, has issued security updates while Verizon leaves our phones, privacy and financial information subject to malware.

ABSOLUTELY ABSURD!!!!"
    09-30-16 08:07 PM
    Well, just amended my info to the FCC:

"I just wanted to inform you that Blackberry has issued a October Security Update for the Blackberry Priv.

Verizon has not issued any security updates since June. In case someone needs to count, that means that Verizon has NOT issued security updates for this phone in July (one), August (two), September (three) and now October (four). We are now FOUR MONTHS behind in security. Also, if I recall, there was a special security update to address the "quadrooter" exploit. So that's FOUR months where the manufacturer, Blackberry, has issued security updates while Verizon leaves our phones, privacy and financial information subject to malware.

ABSOLUTELY ABSURD!!!!"
    I'm pretty sure the October update is currently beta only.

FF22 likes this.
    09-30-16 08:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure the October update is currently beta only.

Correct, but by the time the complaint is read it'd probably be released.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-16 08:40 PM
    I live in Canada and can't participate in this, BUT I support it 100%.
    ALL THE POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

HA! I got a Priv
    Same, it's sad to see carriers in the US abandoning their client base like this. Canadian carries thus far have delivered every security patch and OS upgrade for the Priv either same day or next day. So the experience has been amazing.

Good luck to all VZN Priv members, keep on fighting the good fight!

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    Last edited by Carmels; 10-03-16 at 09:03 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-30-16 10:13 PM
    Will putting a Sim from a Canadian carrier allow for updates? I would gladly pay a Canadian company for a prepaid Sim if it allows for it.

10-01-16 02:20 PM
    Will putting a Sim from a Canadian carrier allow for updates? I would gladly pay a Canadian company for a prepaid Sim if it allows for it.

Sorry. Since there is no Marshmallow for the Verizon Priv the newer patches are meaningless. You can't install marshmallow from a different carrier (people have tried). Bottom line is that we're at the mercy of Verizon unless Blackberry decides to push it themselves.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-01-16 02:43 PM
    Although I'm not a Verizon customer, I am interested in this issue. Just as an "FWIW" kind of thing, I have had incredible success using GripeO. There's an app for it but you can also just go to www.gripeo.com and lodge your complaint. They in turn send it on to the powers that be. In addition they give you an option to post your complaint on Twitter right after you submit it. I have had unbelievable success with complaints regarding banks, cell phone companies and other general customer service issues.

Edit: Also, they post it on Twitter as well, and they have a huge following. When things start to make it to Twitter and other social media platforms, companies get antsy and tend to get right back to you. I had the CEO of my bank contact me when I sent in a complaint, like the next day and they listened and resolved my issue.
    Last edited by andy957; 10-03-16 at 10:21 AM.
    FF22, NightFire, ggendel and 1 others like this.
    10-02-16 07:57 PM
    For those still playing at home, the security vulnerability count increased by 57 today.

BlackBerry powered by Android Security Bulletin ? October 2016
    FF22 and 00stryder like this.
    10-03-16 03:06 PM
    For those still playing at home, the security vulnerability count increased by 57 today.

BlackBerry powered by Android Security Bulletin ? October 2016
    Thanks, I think!

Now we need to send this list BACK TO BLACKBERRY telling them that Verizon Priv's are subject to all kinds of malware and that they need to just skip Big Shi++y Red.

Who is a contact at BB that we can write to? Is Clewley on Twitter worth reaching out too or is he too busy posting pictures of Hawaii!!!!!
    10-03-16 04:14 PM
    I filed a complaint. The FCC closed it because Verizon responded. I'm still waiting for the written response from them. I've been tweeting the FCC because at this point it's ridiculous and insulting what Verizon is doing.
    phuoc, FF22, andy957 and 1 others like this.
    10-04-16 01:50 PM
    I filed a complaint. The FCC closed it because Verizon responded. I'm still waiting for the written response from them. I've been tweeting the FCC because at this point it's ridiculous and insulting what Verizon is doing.
    You just have to add a comment to the complaint and should keep it open. I actually started my comment with, "I don't accept Verizon's answer, please keep this open."

You can join the club of being a pain in Verizon's side this way. Eventually they will decide that the answer they give will be the final word, but until that time, have fun with it.
    andy957, phuoc and 00stryder like this.
    10-04-16 03:22 PM
    Just got another "Verizon has responded so we have closed your complaint"

Since, once again, I have no idea what Verizon did or did not do to address my complaint, I replied that it should not be closed until Verizon issues, at least, Security Updates like almost every other carrier world-wide has done and similarly, OS upgrades.

My newest addition:

"I wonder if you can inquire why they made such a direct statement regarding their new offering while still leaving Blackberry Priv's offered by Verizon FIVE full months behind on Security Updates as well as one full OS upgrade behind.

Verizon promises Google Pixel will get updates immediately just like iPhones - The Verge

"But a very straightforward statement that Verizon gave to Ars Technica seems to eliminate any potential concern. (Emphasis added by The Verge.)
    'First and foremost, all operating system and security updates to the Pixel devices will happen in partnership with Google. In other words, when Google releases an update, Verizon phones will receive the same update at the same time (much like iOS updates). Verizon will not stand in the way of any major updates and users will get all updates at the same time as Google.

Also, the Verizon version of the Google Pixel is carrier unlocked, so you can use it where ever you like. Finally, we have three apps pre-installed on the phone Go90, My Verizon (which is your account management tool) and Verizon Messages (your messaging app). As you noted, all three can easily be uninstalled by the user.'"

Do not close my complaint until Verizon issues at least current Security Updates. Verizon is leaving my Blackberry Priv subject to malicious intrusion. My email, banking and other activities are in jeopardy because Verizon refuses to offer timely Security Updates. They should also be required to issue OS updates that mirror what Blackberry has offered.

It appears that a six month old phone would have to be replaced by a new purchase from Verizion in from order to be safe from intrusions by malware. This is totally unreasonable. They can not have any legitimate reason to delay updates issued by Blackberry and offered by almost every other carrier world-wide.

I understand that Verizon has in the past labeled the FCC "toothless" and now I am beginning to understand why. Owners of a six month old phone have no reasonable options with the FCC powerless to intercede in any manner other than politely asking "Is there a problem?"

THERE IS A PROBLEM. Please address it.
    "
    10-12-16 05:24 PM
    Just got another "Verizon has responded so we have closed your complaint"

Since, once again, I have no idea what Verizon did or did not do to address my complaint, I replied that it should not be closed until Verizon issues, at least, Security Updates like almost every other carrier world-wide has done and similarly, OS upgrades.

My newest addition:

"I wonder if you can inquire why they made such a direct statement regarding their new offering while still leaving Blackberry Priv's offered by Verizon FIVE full months behind on Security Updates as well as one full OS upgrade behind.

Verizon promises Google Pixel will get updates immediately just like iPhones - The Verge

"But a very straightforward statement that Verizon gave to Ars Technica seems to eliminate any potential concern. (Emphasis added by The Verge.)
    'First and foremost, all operating system and security updates to the Pixel devices will happen in partnership with Google. In other words, when Google releases an update, Verizon phones will receive the same update at the same time (much like iOS updates). Verizon will not stand in the way of any major updates and users will get all updates at the same time as Google.

Also, the Verizon version of the Google Pixel is carrier unlocked, so you can use it where ever you like. Finally, we have three apps pre-installed on the phone Go90, My Verizon (which is your account management tool) and Verizon Messages (your messaging app). As you noted, all three can easily be uninstalled by the user.'"

Do not close my complaint until Verizon issues at least current Security Updates. Verizon is leaving my Blackberry Priv subject to malicious intrusion. My email, banking and other activities are in jeopardy because Verizon refuses to offer timely Security Updates. They should also be required to issue OS updates that mirror what Blackberry has offered.

It appears that a six month old phone would have to be replaced by a new purchase from Verizion in from order to be safe from intrusions by malware. This is totally unreasonable. They can not have any legitimate reason to delay updates issued by Blackberry and offered by almost every other carrier world-wide.

I understand that Verizon has in the past labeled the FCC "toothless" and now I am beginning to understand why. Owners of a six month old phone have no reasonable options with the FCC powerless to intercede in any manner other than politely asking "Is there a problem?"

THERE IS A PROBLEM. Please address it.
    "
    Well said ☺

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    andy957 likes this.
    10-12-16 05:51 PM
    Agreed. Well thought out. It was very close to my final response to the FCC. The FCC responded with a nice and concise email which basically said that they would love to help but Verizon hasn't broken any current regulations. However, they are discussing new regulations but that could take a long time and may never come into fruition.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-12-16 06:49 PM
    Agreed. Well thought out. It was very close to my final response to the FCC. The FCC responded with a nice and concise email which basically said that they would love to help but Verizon hasn't broken any current regulations. However, they are discussing new regulations but that could take a long time and may never come into fruition.
    Much like Verizon and the updates.
    FF22, zephyr613, ggendel and 1 others like this.
    10-12-16 07:07 PM
    MM is not the end of the road. Operating Systems are constantly evolving. So are you guys going to fight the good fight when Android 7, 8, 9, 10 and beyond are released? Sounds like Don Quixote fighting windmills to me.

Just accept the fact that Lollipop is as good as it gets for the Priv. VZ is obviously steering the public towards the Pixel now.

Move on.
    10-13-16 12:20 AM
    The main reason, we are upset, or maybe just myself, is because every other PRIV model has been updated to some point to a more current security patch and Android 6.0. I purchased mine with the thoughts my phone would be secure. I never expected Verizon to put up updates as quick as the unlocked model, knowing Verizon I assumed a 4 to 6 week delay.

While core updates are awesome I never hold my breath on them. Sadly android 6.0 takes several of the priv issues away. From heating up so hot I have to sit it down to cool off, battery life, and overall stability are just a few thing's that would be fixed. Internally my priv was getting to 114 F just by refreshing my email...thats just unacceptable. The priv is a quite capable device held back by Verizon for unknown reasons. This is why I filed with the FCC and why I'm still pressuring them for some sort of answer.
    zephyr613, FF22, 6120111 and 2 others like this.
    10-13-16 06:01 AM
    I just filed a complaint as well. My plan is to tell Verizon, if they contact me, that if they really do not plan to update it, then I want all three of my PRIVs replaced with S7s at their cost. I know, it's a long shot, but I've been a customer for 10+ years, and I'm not happy about this at all. On top of the security updates problem, my PRIVs are being selective about sending text messages. MMS messages send fine and if I use the Verizon Message+ App on a PC or tablet (iOS and Android both work), then I can send them without a problem. Verizon tech support wants me to get new SIM cards, but since sending a regular text message is the only problem, I believe it's related to the phone. Anyway, I'm really annoyed about the whole thing. I do like my PRIV, but I'm very pissed that Verizon is holding BlackBerry back. At least that's what it appears to me. They did it with the old BlackBerry phones too. I was one of the ones that was installing beta OSes on my phones every time they came out. Guess this is the last straw for me...
    FF22 likes this.
    10-13-16 09:51 AM
289 ... 9101112