I recently downloaded the Notable blackberry app. I haven't used it much, but it should be useful for taking and editing screenshots.

After downloading the app, I noticed that there are new keyboard shortcuts available to capture a screenshot and open it in Notable for editing. I thought this would be a great feature as I find that using the power button + bottom volume button to be a bit awkward. I was planning on setting the Q button on the keyboard.

Unfortunately, keyboard shortcuts can only be executed from the home screen.

Am I missing something, or is this a completely useless feature? Perhaps an update is coming that allows keyboard shortcuts to be run when an app is open?
    02-27-17 07:31 PM
    Not only that, they only work on BB launcher. Not useful at all since it is so limited. Since it can only be used on the home screen, it could be just as convenient to select the app on screen rather than pressing the shortcut key.
    02-27-17 07:34 PM
    BlackBerry Androids are near vanilla in nature, and Android does not have keyboard shortcuts on an OS level; so expecting it on an OS level is just having the wrong expectations. And the reason keyboard shortcuts only work at the home page is so that you don't end up activating undesired shortcuts while in an app that has its own keyboard shortcuts implemented.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    02-27-17 07:41 PM
    BlackBerry Androids are near vanilla in nature, and Android does not have keyboard shortcuts on an OS level; so expecting it on an OS level is just having the wrong expectations. And the reason keyboard shortcuts only work at the home page is so that you don't end up activating undesired shortcuts while in an app that has its own keyboard shortcuts implemented.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not super knowledgeable on android. This Priv is my first Android phone. I was under the impression other launchers and apps have features that can function while an app is open. Isn't the productivity tab an example of this? It would just have to disable the shortcut if the cursor was in a text input field. Maybe also an option to disable shortcuts for specific apps.

If this isn't possible, why would they have added the option to take a screenshot with the keyboard?
    02-27-17 07:53 PM
    If this isn't possible, why would they have added the option to take a screenshot with the keyboard?
    The option they are giving you is to take a screenshot with the keyboard while at the homescreen and open it in the Notable app. Not to take a screenshot, and not to take a screenshot anywhere. It is your incorrect assumption that is leading you to be dissapointed.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 07:58 PM
    The option they are giving you is to take a screenshot with the keyboard while at the homescreen and open it in the Notable app. Not to take a screenshot, and not to take a screenshot anywhere. It is your incorrect assumption that is leading you to be dissapointed.

Posted via CB10
    But who would want to take screenshots of their home screen over and over? It is a pretty useless feature as is...why would blackberry go through the trouble of creating these shortcut options for such little utility?
    dan99x99 likes this.
    02-27-17 08:03 PM
    Things like holding 'A' to lock the phone like BBOS is cool. Use it on the Priv.
    02-27-17 08:21 PM
    But who would want to take screenshots of their home screen over and over? It is a pretty useless feature as is...why would blackberry go through the trouble of creating these shortcut options for such little utility?
    Good questions, but something only BlackBerry could answer; but keyboard shortcuts have only worked on the homescreens since BB10 and is no different in BlackBerry Android. Apps can have their own shortcuts in this manner, such as the BB10 browser where "p" is previous, "n" is next, "l" is refresh and so on.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 08:25 PM
    Good questions, but something only BlackBerry could answer; but keyboard shortcuts have only worked on the homescreens since BB10 and is no different in BlackBerry Android. Apps can have their own shortcuts in this manner, such as the BB10 browser where "p" is previous, "n" is next, "l" is refresh and so on.

Posted via CB10
    Some of the BlackBerry folks poke around the threads, so you never know who may chime in.

I'm hoping that they have found a way around those roadblocks. I think keyboard shortcuts from anywhere would be very useful.
    02-27-17 08:35 PM
    Some of the BlackBerry folks poke around the threads, so you never know who may chime in.

I'm hoping that they have found a way around those roadblocks. I think keyboard shortcuts from anywhere would be very useful.
    You're assuming these are roadblocks, but in fact every indication is that shortcuts working from the homescreen only is a feature that allows apps to have their own keyboard shortcuts.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-17 10:37 PM
    02-28-17 02:06 AM
    Interesting. I've wondered about the notable app

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 04:36 AM
    The notable app gives you the option to take screenshot anywhere using the pull down menu. Go to setting for detail
    FF22 likes this.
    02-28-17 09:34 AM
    Thanks for the idea. I have looked into using this app, but decided against it for security purposes. This app has access to anything you type, including passwords. I would much prefer this functionality to be built into the launcher.
    02-28-17 10:40 AM
    Thanks for the idea. I have looked into using this app, but decided against it for security purposes. This app has access to anything you type, including passwords. I would much prefer this functionality to be built into the launcher.
    True, but that service is unfortunately necessary for the functionality of the app. There is no other way to monitor those keypresses but by monitoring them. (now, this is an ingenious sentence )
    I do agree it would be nice if Priv (and KEYone, for that matter) had this functionality built-in.
    Use Keyboard Shortcuts while not on the home screen?-screenshot-28-feb-2017-17_47_55-.jpg
    02-28-17 10:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    02-28-17 03:45 PM
    You're assuming these are roadblocks, but in fact every indication is that shortcuts working from the homescreen only is a feature that allows apps to have their own keyboard shortcuts.

Posted via CB10

With the details regarding the new keyboard button on the Key2, it turns out I was correct. It took a year, but they have come up with a way to use keyboard shortcuts from within another app. This should allow the user to take screenshots using a keyboard shortcut.

This should be a useful feature for the Key2!
    06-07-18 11:13 AM
    With the details regarding the new keyboard button on the Key2, it turns out I was correct. It took a year, but they have come up with a way to use keyboard shortcuts from within another app. This should allow the user to take screenshots using a keyboard shortcut.

This should be a useful feature for the Key2!
    But it would appear that key is permanent, you can no longer configure that key as CTRL or SHIFT anymore. Have to configure the $ key instead.

06-07-18 12:05 PM
    But it would appear that key is permanent, you can no longer configure that key as CTRL or SHIFT anymore. Have to configure the $ key instead.

https://i.imgur.com/rLMlb0x.png
    As long as there is still a way to copy/paste/select with the PKB, I think it is a good new feature. Sounds like the currency key will be used for that.

I'm still not sure if I'll be getting the Key2 though. They left out some key features I was hoping for.

1. Wireless charging
    2. Waterproof/dustproof rating
    3. Removal of capacitive navigation buttons to allow a larger screen
    06-07-18 12:30 PM