Can anyone be 100% positive on how or if I would be able to get current updates on an Unlocked ATT Priv using TMOBILE with Tmobile Sim? I've read rumors that I will need an ATT SIM to receive updates..

Created by fingering my sexy Blackberry Classic Keyboard..but I think the  Priv wants me to touch her too!
    04-27-16 04:52 PM
    I'm on the same boat, but in my case living in Mexico. It seems once AT&T releases the Marshmallow update, we'll either need an AT&T SIM or have to wait for the autoloader to be made available (with the caveat of wiping our devices).

Since AT&T also has an operation in Mexico, I'm tempted to approach a local store and expose my case. If it does the trick, I might end up switching carriers...

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    Last edited by JG_Agustin; 04-27-16 at 05:31 PM.
    04-27-16 05:20 PM
    I'm on the same boat, but in my case living in Mexico. It seems once AT&T releases the Marshmallow update, we'll either need an AT&T SIM or have to wait for the autoloader to be made available (with the caveat of wiping our devices).

Since AT&T also has an operation in Mexico, I'm tempted to approach a local store and expose my case. If it does the trick, I might end up switching carriers...

There is absolutely no chance I am going through the headache of an autoloader..that defeats the purpose of "going android".

Created by fingering my sexy Blackberry Classic Keyboard..but I think the  Priv wants me to touch her too!
    04-27-16 05:50 PM
    If you have an AT&T purchased device, you will only get updates from them. You'll have to borrow one of their SIMs.
    04-27-16 06:03 PM
    If you have an AT&T purchased device, you will only get updates from them. You'll have to borrow one of their SIMs.
    This. The device is hardware is coded to AT&T so even though you're on a different carrier you're stuck on AT&T's update cycle.

If you were on a ShopBB device you'd be fine

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-27-16 06:10 PM
    This. The device is hardware is coded to AT&T so even though you're on a different carrier you're stuck on AT&T's update cycle.

I'll probably just get one that is directly from Amazon and not a 3Rd party seller.

04-27-16 06:33 PM

That's not so much the problem if it was only delayed updates. Problem is you're not getting the update at all if you don't have an AT&T SIM and connected to the network.

Which I don't understand why they are doing this when BlackBerry was making claims about how they can bypass the carriers.
    04-27-16 06:57 PM
    That's not so much the problem if it was only delayed updates. Problem is you're not getting the update at all if you don't have an AT&T SIM and connected to the network.

Which I don't understand why they are doing this when BlackBerry was making claims about how they can bypass the carriers.
    I agree with this, it's quite ridiculous taking into account that AT&T seems to be selling off its stock to third party resellers. This is how I ended up with an AT&T branded PRIV in Mexico...

I would appreciate, if someone could at least help me theorise if I get a SIM from AT&T Mexico, will my PRIV get the updates? This could potentially make me switch carriers...

04-27-16 07:58 PM
    Well guys..just found out that even the Privs that are being sold by amazon and shipped by amazon ARE indeed ATT branded phones. I talked to an Amazon rep and he confirmed that the Privs they offer, along with the rest of the 3rd party sellers ARE ATT branded and unlocked. So it looks like shopBB is the only place you can get a truly unlocked phone that is not branded.

04-28-16 09:13 AM
    Well guys..just found out that even the Privs that are being sold by amazon and shipped by amazon ARE indeed ATT branded phones. I talked to an Amazon rep and he confirmed that the Privs they offer, along with the rest of the 3rd party sellers ARE ATT branded and unlocked. So it looks like shopBB is the only place you can get a truly unlocked phone that is not branded.

You can still buy the factory unlocked Priv from Amazon.....its $649.99. I am staring at the listing right now.
    04-28-16 09:31 AM
    #1 that's still too high! #2, I just talked to Amazon, they said all their Blackberrys that THEY are selling and shipping from one of their hubs are ALL ATT branded and unlocked. So even if I paid that ridiculous 649 price on amazon, I would still be receiving an ATT branded phone. If I wanted to pay over 600 for a Priv Id go straight to shopBB.

04-28-16 09:42 AM
    Dammit, I was waiting and ordered a Priv from Amazon yesterday at $500 thinking it was a non carrier version.

I presume all other threads saying you need an Active AT&T sim for updates on these phones are correct? I'm on TMOBILE and can't be bothered with all that hassle to get updates.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 09:51 AM
    Dammit, I was waiting and ordered a Priv from Amazon yesterday at $500 thinking it was a non carrier version.

I presume all other threads saying you need an Active AT&T sim for updates on these phones are correct? I'm on TMOBILE and can't be bothered with all that hassle to get updates.

Posted via CB10
    I feel your pain and haven't even purchased one yet! I have been searching Amazon for days doing research on listing, sellers, phone details, etc and it's enough to make your head spin. I just need one person with an unlocked ATT phone, using it with another carrier to tell me if they had any issue getting the updates..

04-28-16 09:56 AM
    I feel your pain and haven't even purchased one yet! I have been searching Amazon for days doing research on listing, sellers, phone details, etc and it's enough to make your head spin. I just need one person with an unlocked ATT phone, using it with another carrier to tell me if they had any issue getting the updates..

Been doing the exact same in search of a normal unlocked version. I can't believe Amazon are shipping AT&T models when some comments and reviews specifically stated they were not carrier branded. I'll let you know tomorrow when it arrives!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 10:49 AM
    Most of the ones, if not all currently on Amazon are not sold by Amazon.
    There is a difference between sold 'on' Amazon, and sold 'by' Amazon.
    And very few people, including phone sellers on Amazon know the difference between Factory Unlocked and Carrier Unlocked.
    04-28-16 11:13 AM
    So if I want to stay on T-Mobile and get software updates I just need an AT&T Sim to use periodically? Can you get one without paying for service and just use it for the updates?

Disappointing, but still better than spending an extra $200 I'd say.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-16 11:21 AM
    Most of the ones, if not all currently on Amazon are not sold by Amazon.
    There is a difference between sold 'on' Amazon, and sold 'by' Amazon.
    And very few people, including phone sellers on Amazon know the difference between Factory Unlocked and Carrier Unlocked.
    I agree. According to an Amazon rep I just spoke with, the non-branded one that is sold by Amazon.com and shipped by Amazon.com is the listing for $556 + $47 in taxes. Cheaper than shopBB but more expensive than most listings. Again though, the cheaper ones are the ATT unlocked ones. If I can't get Amazon to price match or at least wave the taxes, I will go ahead and get an ATT one and see how that works.

04-28-16 11:32 AM
    I agree. According to an Amazon rep I just spoke with, the non-branded one that is sold by Amazon.com and shipped by Amazon.com is the listing for $556 + $47 in taxes. Cheaper than shopBB but more expensive than most listings. Again though, the cheaper ones are the ATT unlocked ones. If I can't get Amazon to price match or at least wave the taxes, I will go ahead and get an ATT one and see how that works.

I'm stuck with mine, so once AT&T releases the update, I'll be on the lookout and report back. Someone mentioned it should happen on or after May 3. If you're willing to wait a few days, I'll gladly let you know how it goes.

04-28-16 11:56 AM
    I'm stuck with mine, so once AT&T releases the update, I'll be on the lookout and report back. Someone mentioned it should happen on or after May 3. If you're willing to wait a few days, I'll gladly let you know how it goes.

I might wait a few days to see if you have any headaches with updating. What company are you using it on? And are you having any other issues since it's an ATT unlocked?

04-28-16 12:11 PM
    I might wait a few days to see if you have any headaches with updating. What company are you using it on? And are you having any other issues since it's an ATT unlocked?

I've used it with Telcel in Mexico City. No real hiccups, save the shorter battery duration and not so fluid Hub compared to the Passport, and other OS related details. At the moment though, I reverted back to using my Passport as I haven't gotten my protective case for the PRIV yet (I hate regular international post service)...

If I recall correctly, I remember seeing that the last security patch it had was from February. I will check tonight and confirm. I think AT&T rolled out a March patch, not sure for April, though... :S

04-28-16 12:24 PM
    I am in the same boat - ATT branded unlocked priv - but in the US.

Suggestion has been made to get a gophone ATT sim card and put a few bucks on it. Insert it only to do OTA updates, then switch back to your regular carrier.

Anyone have any experience/success doing this?

Thanks!
    04-29-16 08:13 AM
    I am in the same boat - ATT branded unlocked priv - but in the US.

Suggestion has been made to get a gophone ATT sim card and put a few bucks on it. Insert it only to do OTA updates, then switch back to your regular carrier.

Anyone have any experience/success doing this?

Thanks!
    I don't think anyone will know until AT&T pushes the next update. Unless someone has an older autoloader to downgrade the software and see if an OTA gets triggered.
    04-29-16 08:31 AM
    There are multiple interim updates - monthly security updates for instance - on the ATT site:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=nZxNhL-J

I have not been able to get those either. So this could be a testbed for an OTA trigger.
    04-29-16 09:12 PM
    Glad i found this thread. I made the mistake of ordering an unlocked Priv off a seller on amazon.ca (no mention of att anywhere in the item description). The next day, after the item had shipped from Miami, i got this sinking feeling that i might be getting an att device. I email the seller to confirm... No answer. Did some more research and discovered that the same seller is selling unlicked att Privs on newegg... Only on those listings, it clearly says its an att unlcoked phone.

So now Im waiting for fedex to send me a phone that i do NOT want because Im in canada, do not have an att sim card and will likely have to wait months before theres an att mm update. Ive filled a refund request with the seller and will likely refuse delivery of the package from fedex.

I am curious though, if i were to buy an att sim with no plan on it, could i stil get the ota update whenever att decides to release via wifi only if i wanted to avoid auto loaders since clearly the att sim wont work in canada?

Im really kicking myself for this purchase. My last three BB10 purchases were made directly through shopbb... I should have stuck to what i know. But at $900 cdn, i couldnt resist the better prices on amazon. Too good to be true!
    04-29-16 10:07 PM
    I just replied to the other thread re Amazon purchases. I just got my bright Orange AT&T boxed Priv that you have to unlock yourself with a code they give you.

Device was built in Nov 2015 and has all the added benefits noted on many threads here such as ability to fry eggs, watch the battery percentage move downwards in minutes, play with the squishy back etc etc.

I guess lesson learned, you get what you pay for but no mention anywhere on Amazon that this was an AT&T boxed variant.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 10:33 PM
63 123