I've seen some posts where it is stated that even though an AT&T PRIV phone is unlocked (bought it this way from a retailer here in Mexico), the only way to get updates is by having an AT&T active SIM.

How true is this and what updates are affected? Will the Marshmallow update not be available unless one has an active AT&T SIM?

Let's say it's so, do you think an AT&T Mexico SIM would work? As far as I know, AT&T does not offer the PRIV locally.

Any insight would be helpful, specially in deciding whether to sell the device or not. Thanks.

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    04-26-16 03:28 PM
    I've seen some posts where it is stated that even though an AT&T PRIV phone is unlocked (bought it this way from a retailer here in Mexico), the only way to get updates is by having an AT&T active SIM.

How true is this and what updates are affected? Will the Marshmallow update not be available unless one has an active AT&T SIM?

Let's say it's so, do you think an AT&T Mexico SIM would work? As far as I know, AT&T does not offer the PRIV locally.

Any insight would be helpful, specially in deciding whether to sell the device or not. Thanks.

Your phone will only update with an active AT&T Sim card. That includes monthly updates and updating to Marshmallow

Posted via the Priv on the CrackBerry App
    04-26-16 06:30 PM
    Your phone will only update with an active AT&T Sim card. That includes monthly updates and updating to Marshmallow

Thanks. If I manage to buy a SIM from AT&T, will the update come through even when I'm in Mexico?

Likewise, do you think the trick will work with an AT&T Mexico SIM?

04-27-16 07:58 AM
    Thanks. If I manage to buy a SIM from AT&T, will the update come through even when I'm in Mexico?

Likewise, do you think the trick will work with an AT&T Mexico SIM?

I don't know. If it doesn't work you can always wait for the autoloader to be released.

JG_Agustin likes this.
    04-27-16 09:02 AM
    I don't know. If it doesn't work you can always wait for the autoloader to be released.

Thanks, good suggestion, guess I'll have to learn how to do it. On BB10, I was quite used to updating through Sachesi.

I hardly see the possibility of selling the device close to the price I bought it, so updating this way or getting an AT&T SIM will be the viable options.

I will visit an AT&T Mexico store in the following days and will ask if I can try a SIM. If it does find the update, I might finally end up dumping Telcel...

04-27-16 10:23 AM
    I think the best way to update att PRIV is waiting for autoloader.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    JG_Agustin and oakakaemmy like this.
    04-27-16 10:46 AM
    Thanks, good suggestion, guess I'll have to learn how to do it. On BB10, I was quite used to updating through Sachesi.

I hardly see the possibility of selling the device close to the price I bought it, so updating this way or getting an AT&T SIM will be the viable options.

I will visit an AT&T Mexico store in the following days and will ask if I can try a SIM. If it does find the update, I might finally end up dumping Telcel...

Just FYI, At&t has not pushed out the OTA for Marshmallow. That's supposed to happen sometime on or after May 3

JG_Agustin likes this.
    04-27-16 11:31 AM
    I tell you I'm not expecting an autoloader. Don't hold it against me when I say typically only I autoloader per carrier. I do recommend utilizing an autoloader at least once after purchasing from a carrier.
    04-27-16 09:57 PM
    This gives me some hope, not holding my breath, but definitely crossing my fingers: http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000038204

05-27-16 03:56 PM
    Not sure about the Mexico AT&T SIM. I'm guessing it will work.
    If you want to be sure, go online and pick up a GoPhone SIM, (AT&T's US pre paid). You will have to register it on line, just use the first part of your address and pick any US city and Zip Code, (google it). You don't even have to buy air time.
    It will pick up the update most anywhere in the world, download will be via wifi, so make sure you are in good wifi coverage.

If you have someone you know with the correct size Mexico AT&T SIM, borrow it and try that - and let us know.

Also note - you will not get Marshmallow, yet, you only get what AT&T has released.
    05-28-16 11:36 AM
    I really hope updating on the priv is easier than on my classic. It's VERY fickle. Takes two or three tries to get it to update properly without crashing.
    05-28-16 11:33 PM