I do not receive notifications regarding new security updates from Blackberry. I tried a manual check in as per this article:

Software update not received on unlocked AT&T branded PRIV when using a non-AT&T SIM card

I entered the following: *#*#2432546#*#*

As soon as I type the last * all of the input disappears. The last update on my phone was August 5, 2016. Build number is AAG153. Model number is STV100-1.

The last time I updated was in August via an AT&T sim card that I bought. Per Bla1ze's article, these updates should be coming directly from Blackberry now. Is anyone having the same issue or can advise? Thanks in advance.
    02-13-17 11:16 AM
    Did you type the whole...CHECKIN... part too, and then the number section with the parenthesis?

Joel
    02-13-17 11:24 AM
    Was the device originally purchased from AT&T, or an authorized reseller ? If so I believe you are still dependant on AT&T for updates. Regardless of lock status.

Did you type the whole...CHECKIN... part too, and then the number section with the parenthesis?
    The numbers correspond to the letters on the keyboard, parentheses should not be input. If he entered what he said he did, that is all that is required.
    02-13-17 11:41 AM
    That's weird I'm from Scotland and I'm using atat BlackBerry andbi get updates directly from BlackBerry
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    02-13-17 11:53 AM
    That's weird I'm from Scotland and I'm using atat BlackBerry andbi get updates directly from BlackBerry
    Then your phone was purchased from a third party, not AT&T.
    Quote, directly from above referenced webpage - "Please Note: This does not apply to PRIVs purchased from AT&T directly or AT&T authorized reseller with an unlock code."
    02-13-17 12:03 PM
    I've opened a case with Blackberry. They are investigating and will get back to me tomorrow hopefully. Would it be worth trying the manual check in safe mode? Also, does it matter if I am on wi-fi or cellular?
    02-13-17 01:03 PM
    Was the device originally purchased from AT&T, or an authorized reseller ? If so I believe you are still dependant on AT&T for updates. Regardless of lock status.

The numbers correspond to the letters on the keyboard, parentheses should not be input. If he entered what he said he did, that is all that is required.
    Never mind.

I miss interpreted what the knowledge base said. I saw it as both strings of characters that needed to be typed in. But, they are the same set - the other was just the numerical version.

Joel
    Last edited by joeldf; 02-13-17 at 02:50 PM.
    Wezard likes this.
    02-13-17 01:19 PM
    FYI, safe mode didn't work. I tried in safe mode without SIM card. I find it peculiar that it clears out the entry upon the last asterisk being typed. It must recognize that its a command but then just clears it out and doesn't do anything.
    02-13-17 01:23 PM
    FYI, the Blackberry care rep got back to me and offered me a couple of solutions and explanations:

I was hoping that I can reach you today so we can discuss further about the case. We also want to let you know that we have received a response from the analysts here at BlackBerry.

They have advised that we need to insert an active AT&T Sim Card in order to receive the updates or we can perform an OS Reload on the device from this link: Reload BlackBerry powered by Android smartphone - United States

We are going to use the AT&T Build AAI460 Software.

A software reload will manually install the update to the device however it will wipe the device clean. I suggest to backup the device first before doing a software reload.
    I responded with a follow up question:

I don't understand why the update isn't being pushed directly to my device as per the article in the knowledge base:

Software update not received on unlocked AT&T branded PRIV when using a non-AT&T SIM card
    Their response was:
    Since the device was under AT&T's server according to my resources, the device needs to have an active AT&T Sim Card in order to connect to the servers of AT&T and receive the updates.

Hence the device being factory unlocked, updating the system is another story.
    The only explanation for the " device was under AT&T's server" was that I bought an AT&T sim card in August and did an update. At that time the device IMEI was probably registered to AT&T and now I'm forced to do carrier updates going forward.
    Last edited by alexcapone; 02-14-17 at 02:12 PM.
    02-14-17 01:58 PM
    I've opened a case with Blackberry. They are investigating and will get back to me tomorrow hopefully. Would it be worth trying the manual check in safe mode? Also, does it matter if I am on wi-fi or cellular?
    I have an unlocked att as well, I bought mine from B&H, not sure if that makes a difference but I have received all the updates since September. I am currently AAJ043. Good luck with getting it worked out.
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    02-14-17 02:26 PM
    I have an unlocked att as well, I bought mine from B&H, not sure if that makes a difference but I have received all the updates since September. I am currently AAJ043. Good luck with getting it worked out.
    Did you ever put an ATT sim card in the phone to receive updates?
    02-14-17 05:22 PM
    Did you ever put an ATT sim card in the phone to receive updates?
    Yes, I went into an att store to get a new one since my old phone was the Torch. After that I received the 6.0 OS update, along with all the security patches since. Hope that helps
    Vladimir Putin likes this.
    02-14-17 05:33 PM
    Yes, I went into an att store to get a new one since my old phone was the Torch. After that I received the 6.0 OS update, along with all the security patches since. Hope that helps
    Okay, so if I understand you correctly you get all of your updates directly from AT&T, right? If so, that is the route that I may have to go as well.
    02-14-17 06:07 PM
    Okay, so if I understand you correctly you get all of your updates directly from AT&T, right? If so, that is the route that I may have to go as well.
    I just re-read your original post, and might not have been clear. Sorry for the confusion.

Att is my service provider. That being said, I received, and continue to receive all my update pushed from BB..NOT att. .

I have read on the forums that att branded unlocked phones only get updates from att directly. In my case that couldn't be farther from the truth with my Two Priv's. Went to att, got two new Sims, within a hour both phones received all the new updates pushed from BB.
    02-14-17 06:29 PM
    I have read on the forums that att branded unlocked phones only get updates from att directly. In my case that couldn't be farther from the truth with my Two Priv's. Went to att, got two new Sims, within a hour both phones received all the new updates pushed from BB.
    Originally that was true. It changed. Blackberry is now updating the AT&T branded Priv's NOT sold by AT&T or their authorized resellers.
    AT&T Priv's sold by AT&T or their authorized resellers still get updates from AT&T.
    It depends on where the devices were originally purchased. Sounds odd, but that's the way it is.
    Somehow a whole bunch of AT&T Priv's wound up on the market for sale and AT&T had no financial interest or hold on them. For quite a while they had to have an active AT&T SIM to get updates from AT&T, they would NOT get updates from BB. Somehow a deal was made between BB and AT&T, BB started updating the phones that AT&T had no monetary interest or hold on.
    Any Priv sold by AT&T or one of it's authorized resellers will not get updates from anybody except AT&T, and it takes an active AT&T SIM to get those updates.
    Any AT&T Priv that is in BB's computers as NOT being sold by AT&T, will get updates directly from BB.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-14-17 08:31 PM
    I have att bought PRIV, if I switch to cricket wireless for example, does anyone know if I will receive updates? Or not unless I put an active att sim ?
    02-15-17 02:08 AM
    I have att bought PRIV, if I switch to cricket wireless for example, does anyone know if I will receive updates? Or not unless I put an active att sim ?
    From what I've gathered, Cricket is hit and miss with updates. Most say that they do receive At&t updates on their At&t phone. But a significant minority have reported problems.
    02-15-17 02:52 AM
    From what I've gathered, Cricket is hit and miss with updates. Most say that they do receive At&t updates on their At&t phone. But a significant minority have reported problems.
    Cricket is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T, you would think updates there would be OK since it's the same network. I'm not contradicting you, it's just weird, but so is the whole AT&T branded Priv escapade.

You should be OK with updates. If not, since it was purchased from AT&T you have recourse to make AT&T/Cricket update servers so that you will get updates.
    dan99x99 likes this.
    02-15-17 06:58 AM
    I am one of those that bought my phone off ebay. It was an AT&T locked device with an unlock code I could use which I did not. I am on AT&T's network but I get my updates direct from BlackBerry.

Here is the reason. I was one of those that had the "no service" problem. When I installed the fix that BlackBerry came up with, something unexpected happened. Not only was the "no service" fixed, but I and others have been getting the security updates straight from BlackBerry.

I surmise that since factory unlocked Priv's did not have the issue, that BlackBerry worked about a deal with AT&T to allow the fix to make our phones act like unlocked.

I have an AT&T sim on an AT&T locked phone that now acts like an unlocked phone when it comes to Security updates. I'm loving it!
    02-15-17 09:31 AM
    I am one of those that bought my phone off ebay. It was an AT&T locked device with an unlock code I could use which I did not. I am on AT&T's network but I get my updates direct from BlackBerry.

Here is the reason. I was one of those that had the "no service" problem. When I installed the fix that BlackBerry came up with, something unexpected happened. Not only was the "no service" fixed, but I and others have been getting the security updates straight from BlackBerry.

I surmise that since factory unlocked Priv's did not have the issue, that BlackBerry worked about a deal with AT&T to allow the fix to make our phones act like unlocked.

I have an AT&T sim on an AT&T locked phone that now acts like an unlocked phone when it comes to Security updates. I'm loving it!
    I am meeting up my friend tommorow to borrow his SIM card. Do you get notifications pushed to you from Blackberry or do you manually check for updates?
    02-15-17 11:15 AM
    I am meeting up my friend tommorow to borrow his SIM card. Do you get notifications pushed to you from Blackberry or do you manually check for updates?
    Both. I manually checked for February 's update ND got it on either the first or third. January's was automatic.
    02-15-17 11:20 AM

Same experience here with a B&H att phone here.. I get all the BlackBerry update, not att. Good to hear.
    02-15-17 11:44 AM
    Good call, let us know if it works. Good luck!
    02-15-17 11:46 AM
    The B&H phones were never registered with AT&T, and so don't fall into the "purchased from AT&T" category.
    Hard telling with eBay, depends on whether from an individual who originally purchased from AT&T, or which vendor. Rumor has it that a lot of the eBay vendors stock came from AT&T authorized resellers. They may, or may not have been entered into AT&T's data base.
    To further confuse the issue, some of the AT&T devices that never got to AT&T were sold unlocked, others were sold locked but with unlock codes.
    I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the AT&T branded devices that are supposed to be updated by BB aren't, and that some that aren't, are.
    02-15-17 02:02 PM
    The B&H phones were never registered with AT&T, and so don't fall into the "purchased from AT&T" category.
    Hard telling with eBay, depends on whether from an individual who originally purchased from AT&T, or which vendor. Rumor has it that a lot of the eBay vendors stock came from AT&T authorized resellers. They may, or may not have been entered into AT&T's data base.
    To further confuse the issue, some of the AT&T devices that never got to AT&T were sold unlocked, others were sold locked but with unlock codes.
    I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the AT&T branded devices that are supposed to be updated by BB aren't, and that some that aren't, are.
    All of this confusion is keeping me from switching to cricket because of fear that I may not get updates anymore! Essentially we are punished because of buying from att
    02-15-17 02:49 PM
56 123