I'll be traveling to the UK and a couple other places. I've already added an international plan to my account.

Wondering if there's any things I should be aware of -- maybe moving my lesser used email accounts from the Hub to reduce data costs?

Basic question: when I arrive in the new country, will it automatically know that? If I'm in the UK and call someone else in the UK, do I drop the international prefixes? Should I then treat my phone as a native-in-that-country phone? In England for example there's an extra digit if you're not calling from within the UK.
    04-12-17 11:04 AM
    Hello check with your local data provider what are the roaming charges. Sometimes there are deals. one thing you can do is take Data off but you can still make calls and turn data on when have WiFI! Enjoy the trip..and do take special adopters to walling for electricity!
    04-12-17 11:58 AM
    I'll be traveling to the UK and a couple other places. I've already added an international plan to my account.

Wondering if there's any things I should be aware of -- maybe moving my lesser used email accounts from the Hub to reduce data costs?

Basic question: when I arrive in the new country, will it automatically know that? If I'm in the UK and call someone else in the UK, do I drop the international prefixes? Should I then treat my phone as a native-in-that-country phone? In England for example there's an extra digit if you're not calling from within the UK.
    I am not really an expert on International travel but have used my Priv in Lisbon/Azores/Madeira this summer and Barcelona in Feb with some use in Amsterdam.

I use the Verizon sim card it came with meaning that my phone number stays a US phone number. So when calling the US I have to use the US 'digit' code. Folks calling me, call my US number. So, I believe you need to use the country code if you are not changing to a local sim which would also give you a new local phone number. As for data charges, I generally went into airplane mode but enabled wifi and used local hotel or other wifi. So my mail might be "held" until I again connected to wifi. Email should not be bad unless you get large emails or lots of attachments.

Make sure to get plug adapters so you can charge the phone in these other countries.
    04-12-17 12:03 PM

Hi there,

Try to use what'sapp for messaging and calls to mobiles, dont download apps on the go and keep internet and map use to a minimum.

Use hotel wifi for heavy data usage.

Prefix UK calls and contacts by +44????? and USA +1??????? Dropping all prefix 00???
    04-12-17 10:29 PM
    I did not catch who you have as a carrier. I know that from AT&T you can buy an international plan for a certain length of time. I have t-mobile and they have great options for international. It is correct that if you have a US number then you can call home as if it is a call within the US. But calling someone there, you are calling as if it is a call from the US to them and need to use the appropriate prefixes mentioned above. Have a great trip. Don't forget the adapters, and I suggest you take a power bank in case you are somewhere where you can't charge your phone.
    PS: my travel has been to Northern Europe and, also, family members have called me from Europe and Amsterdam as if it is a local call.
    04-12-17 10:57 PM
    If you're in doubt, there are SIM card vending machines at the bigger UK airports. For 20 GBP you get a SIM card with an already activated data package for "unlimited data" valid for a month. And e.g. in Finland you can buy "Saunalahti" SIM cards at most supermarkets and grocery stores. The card is 4,99€ and you have to top it up with another 10€. Then you can activate a data package, e.g. for 6,90€ you get "unlimited" data for a week.

Sure, you have a different phone number but you don't have to think about your data usage. Just download/upload away.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-13-17 05:05 AM
    If your phone is Carrier Locked, other sim cards will not operate in your phone. Even if you can get your carrier to unlock your phone, you may still have some issues with European sim cards operating in your phone. Depends mostly on which US carrier is yours.

That being said, when I helped my son check his phone to visit UK and Germany, the AT&T International plan was still "data" expensive. I turned off AT&Tdata on his phone and told him to only use wifi. He powered his phone off and checked it only for voice mails and texts using international plan. Once again, not really texting since it uses data and because "data" expensive on the international plan.

When he landed in UK, he went to phone shop and bought cheapest android phone factory unlocked and local SIM card. Bought new sim card in Germany and swapped in phone. Three weeks in both countries went fine. Whatsapp really helped too. For that, you have to copy your contact list from one phone over to other.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-17 07:13 AM
    ... Bought new sim card in Germany and swapped in phone. Three weeks in both countries went fine...

Posted via CB10
    Dragging up an old thread, but I was wondering how long ago this was. I've read that you can't buy German SIMs anymore without having a verifiable postal address for security reasons. Gonna be there for five weeks and there's no way in hell I'm VZW $10 a day.
    05-27-17 08:10 AM
    ... Bought new sim card in Germany and swapped in phone. Three weeks in both countries went fine...

Posted via CB10
    Dragging up an old thread, but I was wondering how long ago this was. I've read that you can't buy German SIMs anymore without having a verifiable postal address for security reasons. Gonna be there for five weeks and there's no way in hell I'm paying Verizon $10 a day extra.
    05-27-17 08:14 AM