Who had enough of this guy
    It's time for the guillotine
    Time for John Chen to go campaign-guillotine.jpg

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to decide my passport
    10-08-15 03:05 PM
    You wanted the company saved, he came to save it. If that means ditching BB10, or selling it as a Corp only device, than that is how he will save it. CrackBerry fans might hate that, but it's the only way to profit.
    10-08-15 03:07 PM
    You wanted the company saved, he came to save it. If that means ditching BB10, or selling it as a Corp only device, than that is how he will save it. CrackBerry fans might hate that, but it's the only way to profit.

How is he saving it? By making it Android for high end Govt and entrepreneurs which is not as secure as bb10? Or by completely finishing the handset business and making BlackBerry a software co. ?
    If he wanted to save BlackBerry handset division he could have targeted normal average consumer by low price phone even if he have to go android!!!

Posted via CB10
    roleli likes this.
    10-08-15 03:17 PM
    Nothing has changed with Chen.... he has made it clear that hardware might not survive from the day he came on board. Some just chose to ignore it.

Now I will say his "turn around" with software hasn't proceeded as he had initially hoped. But as long as there are expenses (people) to be cut and he can stay ahead of the revenue declines... he's going to be in the drivers seat.

But I still think eventually someone will step in an buy BlackBerry..... not sure if it will be for $8 Billion (not going to happen) or for the value of cash on hand (real cash, not investment cash). Cause I don't have a good feeling about the EMM market, and so far BlackBerry hasn't shown much of a IoT solution.
    10-08-15 03:17 PM
    Am In, have to hire Agent 47 for the work :P

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 03:18 PM
    The only things is that as a software only company, they don't have any products now that don't have lots of competition. With BlackBerry 10 phones, they had end to end security with BES. Now they have software that anyone could replicate. What do they have that is unique with software only?
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-08-15 03:24 PM
    Nothing has changed with Chen.... he has made it clear that hardware might not survive from the day he came on board.
    He said that as he never had experience with consumer products and hardware. He is a software only guy and the software they have has lots of competition. BlackBerry is going to get smaller.
    10-08-15 03:26 PM
    Chen hasn't "saved" anything. The company isn't turning a profit, and he's been dismantling parts of it with plans that are questionable at best.
    How far should we stretch the definition of "saved."
    If they cut all of the staff except 1 person to update BBM, and sell sticker packs, making $100 a year net profit is that saved?

KAM
    crackberry_geek and Doggerz like this.
    10-08-15 03:30 PM
    I'm with u. He needs to go!

If he wants hardware to survive, seems to be the case, then he needs to up the game in marketing and product. U can't expect different result if u keep making the same mistakes. This is similar to z10 and other product launch failures.

If he wanted to stay with high security, niche, market then y even bother switching OS? Wtf was the point? These niche players don't care about apps or phone looks and material. Why spend so much to adopt new OS and build new, not so good, hardware?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 03:32 PM
    He can't seem to handle public interviews and ends up saying some of the craziest things. Why is his PR team letting him make fool of himself?

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and crackberry_geek like this.
    10-08-15 03:35 PM
    My "crazy" theory is proving more true and true every day.

All hail your new SAP overlords lol

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 03:42 PM
    He can't seem to handle public interviews and ends up saying some of the craziest things. Why is his PR team letting him make fool of himself?
    Who is their PR team? Last I heard (years ago) they had some small local firm up there working on PR. They were way out of their league.
    10-08-15 03:42 PM
    What will it take to save Chen?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 03:45 PM
    Who is their PR team? Last I heard (years ago) they had some small local firm up there working on PR. They were way out of their league.
    How is this level of screw up Possibly out of anyone's league?

ANY PR Firm...or Common person off the street should know better than this.

KAM
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    10-08-15 03:47 PM
    How is this level of screw up Possibly out of anyone's league?

ANY PR Firm...or Common person off the street should know better than this.
    Yeah, that is true. Maybe they quit because this guy just isn't coachable?

And it's not just a language issue. This guy seems very unpolished and extremely unprepared in any language. He's good at making the company smaller, but if they plan to turnaround and actually grow again, maybe they do need someone else.

To his credit, he has stopped the bleeding. I would guess the board had very few choices when they chose him, because the company was in a world of hurt back then. Now that the company is more stable, and now that they have Good and the car business and other viable businesses, maybe now is the time to attract a great CEO?
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    10-08-15 03:54 PM
    Give it up already! Whether its John Chen or Donald Trump running the company, they will not bring back the money loser known as BB10.

This is just more rants cause you're afraid or unwilling to accept change & realize that BB10 is dead.
    10-08-15 04:07 PM
    TIL fanboyism and mental illness is very, very scary.
    10-08-15 04:11 PM
    Would be nice to know what the OP issue with Chen actually is... time to face facts... BB 10 no matter how good will either be as best a niche market or at worst... discontinued... in the end.. we have latched onto a dying OS and either accept it and move on...or continue to live in denial... none of this means BB10 is not the best mobile OS out there...which is my feeling.. but I am first and for most a realist... it is simple.. it is next to impossible to sell an OS to the masses... when the masses are perfectly happy with the OS and brand they are using.... add in a badly damaged brand... maybe if you had a Samsung marketing budget for a year or two... It might make a difference in hardware sales.... BB simply does not.....what do you expect Chen to do... keep making BB10 phones ,,, losing money and shut down hardware altogether... give the guy a bit of credit ...he could have use the z3 and leap as excused for poor sales and shut down the hardware division.. no he continued to churn out new devices... The Priv is the last kick at the can,,, if does not bring some kind sales to make the market and shareholders happy... kiss the hardware division goodbye....

In the end.. it is the balance sheet that tells the tale...
    10-08-15 04:13 PM
    ...snip

Dunno about that... few may be willing to foot the bill for the best while 1/5 t price would get them "good enough"...also, android is android & a cheap lollipop will still have the lollipop BlackBerry is gonna use...
    10-08-15 04:33 PM
    As a CEO who was hired to stop the bleeding and get the revenue stream flowing again, I think he has successfully done his job.

Unfortunately in business you have to make hard choices that may not sit well with some of your loyal followers, but he is also accountable to the share holders and board of directors.

I think with the recent acquisitions of Good and some of the other security released purchases, they are going to be in a better position for the long haul.

As much as I would hate to see it happen, if OS10 is a casualty and Android does take off and ends up being the new Blackberry OS, then so be it.

If it means the hardware division can now support itself and make Blackberry a profit, I am good with it. I learned in this high tech fast paced market, you have to be willing to adapt to changes.

As I have said many times before, Android and IOS are the new Titans on the block wether you choose to accept it or not. Being in the auto industry for over 30 years I have seen my fair share of changes and having to adapt to changing times.

My old boss who was a very smart business person and made a lot of money always told me you either roll with the changing times or get rolled over.
    10-08-15 04:55 PM
    Would be nice to know what the OP issue with Chen actually is... time to face facts... BB 10 no matter how good will either be as best a niche market or at worst... discontinued... in the end.. we have latched onto a dying OS and either accept it and move on...or continue to live in denial... none of this means BB10 is not the best mobile OS out there...which is my feeling.. but I am first and for most a realist... it is simple.. it is next to impossible to sell an OS to the masses... when the masses are perfectly happy with the OS and brand they are using.... add in a badly damaged brand... maybe if you had a Samsung marketing budget for a year or two... It might make a difference in hardware sales.... BB simply does not.....what do you expect Chen to do... keep making BB10 phones ,,, losing money and shut down hardware altogether... give the guy a bit of credit ...he could have use the z3 and leap as excused for poor sales and shut down the hardware division.. no he continued to churn out new devices... The Priv is the last kick at the can,,, if does not bring some kind sales to make the market and shareholders happy... kiss the hardware division goodbye....

You are talking about BlackBerry 10, fair enough. And according to you Priv is the last kick. Fine...but why would he tell the world that Priv is not as secure as a competitor. You don't need SAMSUNG marketing dollars to NOT make such a foolish statement! He simply striked off a key selling point.
    Eumaeus and Q10Bold like this.
    10-08-15 05:00 PM
    If it wasn't for John Chen, BlackBerry would have not even survived long enough to give everyone the chance to experience a device like the passport that so many here love... others I understand not so much.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 05:28 PM
    dead cat bounce...
    10-08-15 05:29 PM
    No point in saving something you do not love or even like anymore.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 06:06 PM
    Smh at all these armchair CEOs. If they were head of the company, we would have never seen the Passport and Classic.

Posted via CB10
    Irish Blues and theboogeyman like this.
    10-08-15 06:14 PM
127 123 ...