Hello,

Whats really important to me when using a smart phone for work is being able to customize the color of the notification lights and vibrations for email, SMS, etc. I've been using an Android Galaxy S7 for years and none of the apps are 100% reliable. They work maybe 50% of the time causing me to miss a ton of text messages and emails. iphone doesn't let you color your notification light.

Years ago when I had a BB, I used Berry Buzz and loved it! I'm not sure what it's called now, BeBuzz or something like that, but it was rock solid and NEVER missed an email or text. Anyways, i'm looking at the BB Priv, and was wondering if this particular app still exists and will it work on the new Priv? Also, I see that this phone runs Android. Does this mean I can use all Android apps from the App Store on the Priv?

Overall impressions from users would be helpful as well.

Thank you
    01-22-17 02:29 PM
    I don't know about this app but notification led customization is there in stock form.
    01-22-17 02:34 PM
    LED is RGB and you can customize email and text. Some other apps like FB etc I don't think you can but sounds like email and text is what you are after.

I don't know about that app you speak of either but yes, you have the full google play store at your fingertips.

I think you will like BlackBerry's version of android. I adjusted fairly easily coming from BB10. I think one the best things you can do is get everything set up on wifi before you insert your sim card. I waited a couple days to get things situated then dropped in the sim and daily drove it.
    newcollector likes this.
    01-22-17 02:41 PM
    Hello,

Whats really important to me when using a smart phone for work is being able to customize the color of the notification lights and vibrations for email, SMS, etc. I've been using an Android Galaxy S7 for years and none of the apps are 100% reliable. They work maybe 50% of the time causing me to miss a ton of text messages and emails. iphone doesn't let you color your notification light.

Years ago when I had a BB, I used Berry Buzz and loved it! I'm not sure what it's called now, BeBuzz or something like that, but it was rock solid and NEVER missed an email or text. Anyways, i'm looking at the BB Priv, and was wondering if this particular app still exists and will it work on the new Priv? Also, I see that this phone runs Android. Does this mean I can use all Android apps from the App Store on the Priv?

Thank you
    Yes it runs Android and therefore access to all Android apps. The LED color customizing function is built into the device so no need to run any additional apps.

Edit: PS: if color customizing of LED is important to you don't get a DTEK 50 or DTEK 60 because neither of those phones have a RGB (multi color) LED
    01-22-17 02:42 PM
    Hello,

Thank you
    Well, BB10 (and apps for earlier BB OS's) apps will not run on the Android Priv. Whether those folks have made a similar app for Android, I don't know. There are LED controlling apps in the store that others have written about. As Nverl8 noted, some control is inherent in the device.

And, yes, the PRIV runs stock apps (with few exceptions) from the Playstore.

I like the Priv. It is not as smooth as the BB10 OS but works more than reasonably well. I have no serious complaints (other than google being so tied into the device).
    01-22-17 02:51 PM
    Good info, guys. Yes, my main concern is having the ability to glance at my phone and know if I have an email or text message based on the color of the blinking notification light. The fact that I can run Android apps as well is a big plus.

Berry Buzz was an app that colored the BB notification lights. I used it over 10 years ago so maybe its not available anymore. I didn't know the ability to customize the notification lights was build in to the Priv, but that's good to know.

Thanks again
    01-22-17 03:15 PM
    One thing to point out is the notification light will only blink the color of the last item. So if you got a text it might flash blue, then if you get an email without checking that text and your email is red, it will only blink red, then if you get a calendar notification and that is green, and you haven't read your text or email, it will only blink green. Hope that is making sense.

But you do have the productivity tab so with a quick swipe you can see the last few messages, or calendar or a couple other items. You can also see the notifications with a quick swipe down from the top or see the notification icons at the top of the screen. Basically saying it's tough to miss something.
    01-22-17 04:52 PM
    There are LED controlling apps in the store that others have written about.
    I tried Lightflow and Light Manager and both of these apps are unreliable and make the Ambient display feature on the Priv act erratically so the built in LED controls are fine for me.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-22-17 05:50 PM
    One thing to point out is the notification light will only blink the color of the last item. So if you got a text it might flash blue, then if you get an email without checking that text and your email is red, it will only blink red, then if you get a calendar notification and that is green, and you haven't read your text or email, it will only blink green. Hope that is making sense.
    That's right, that's one of the drawbacks. Using Light Flow will alternate between colors when notifications are received but unfortunately it interferes with the ambient display feature on the Priv.
    01-22-17 05:53 PM
    Berry Buzz was an app that colored the BB notification lights. I used it over 10 years ago so maybe its not available anymore
    Just FYI it is now called BeBuzz 10 Pro. However the newer versions of BB10 now include a customize LED colours etc in the OS itself so no app is needed anymore. It does come in handy when you can customize the colour and totally ignore a (yellow, in my case) message when it comes in.
    01-22-17 06:01 PM
    I was an avid Blackberry user when I went to Samsung. I came back to Blackberry last year with the Blackberry Classic. I began using my brother's PRIV by Blackberry and recently had it replaced through warranty.

I can tell you I really like the PRIV by Blackberry.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    01-22-17 07:27 PM
    I was an avid Blackberry user when I went to Samsung. I came back to Blackberry last year with the Blackberry Classic. I began using my brother's PRIV by Blackberry and recently had it replaced through warranty.

I can tell you I really like the PRIV by Blackberry.
    Loving the PRIV too! Got mine for $299 off eBay new. AT&T unlocked. Now it updates directly from BlackBerry just like the PRIV offered direct from BlackBerry. Best money I ever spent.
    01-22-17 07:45 PM
    Blackberry: You like it, it likes you. Come back.. you know you want it!

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 08:06 PM
    Loving the PRIV too! Got mine for $299 off eBay new. AT&T unlocked. Now it updates directly from BlackBerry just like the PRIV offered direct from BlackBerry. Best money I ever spent.
    I did the same thing as you. Got my Priv off ebay last year for that great price. It came with an unlock code, but since I am a long-term AT&T customer, didn't need the code. It took me a while to make the decision to leave BB10, but the Priv really is the best of both worlds and getting better all the time.
    01-23-17 02:00 PM
    Hopee you enjoy the Priv. I like the DTEK 60 though. But I hear it doesn't have LED notification. A tiny thing that makes a whole lot of difference.
    01-24-17 01:54 AM
    Hey nt6x! The RGB led is built into the software of the PRIV. There is no need to download any additional App as others have mentioned. The Blakcberry Hub is awesome and you will never miss any texts or messages from people. When Android Nougat launches fro the PRIV in the next couple weeks., it will bing a ton of new things for the HUB. I think it would be a great investment to come back to Blackberry. The PRIV is arguably the best unique deign phone on the market.

Its seem like a ton of people purchased one fro the $299 special price. Getting so much phone for that price.
    newcollector likes this.
    01-24-17 04:05 AM
    I've been using an Android Galaxy S7 for years ............
    This phone was just released last March 2016. It's not even a year old.

Samsung Galaxy S7 - Full phone specifications
    IdBeats likes this.
    01-24-17 06:43 AM
    Sorry, I meant Galaxy S5
    01-24-17 05:40 PM
    Guys, thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. I pulled the trigger! Arrives on Monday.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-26-17 10:06 PM