Chen has described how they have inserted the keys in the various root stages and how this bolsters the security. He also reiterated how you will be able to protect your privacy. I think the security is going to be a disappointment, and here's why...

A large number of Android apps require access to parts of your phone that obviously allow them to gather data and target ads for you or measure patterns, useage, etc. No secret here, that's why the apps are free and what everyone gripes about with Android. So if BlackBerry has enabled you to select and/deny what an app can see or do (like B10), will the app still work properly or at all? I've an inkling it won't and the app advantage of Android will be lost.

Thoughts?

X

If this proves to be the case,

Posted via CB10
    Stupified likes this.
    10-23-15 07:47 PM
    So if BlackBerry has enabled you to select and/deny what an app can see or do (like B10), will the app still work properly or at all? I've an inkling it won't and the app advantage of Android will be lost.
    I believe this is how permissions in Marshmallow work. It looks like I can view permissions on my Nexus 7 by app, or apps by permission, and toggle them on/off.

The catch is I think developers have to code their apps to take advantage of the new system. In fact, when I toggle certain permissions off, I get a warning about how the app may not work properly.
    10-23-15 07:57 PM
    The people that care are already on bb10 the ones that aren't already don't care. I have an samsung S6 and without Google permissions it is useless except for text and phone calls. I love my Passport.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-23-15 07:58 PM
    It will be rooted in a month.
    10-23-15 08:07 PM
    Well see.

OS is checked against signed keys every boot.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-23-15 08:11 PM
    "That's why apps are free..." because they steal and resell your data eh? Love the new world we live in...

Apps used to be free, because!

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 08:13 PM
    Don't think it will be an issue since Marshmallow asks for the same permissions.
    10-23-15 08:19 PM
    You think so?
    10-23-15 08:24 PM
    Of course. Someone will make it their goal to prove BB wrong. I welcome it. Root inherently doesn't mean the device is unsafe. It just gives additional options you have to be cautious with.
    10-23-15 08:26 PM
    Chen has described how they have inserted the keys in the various root stages and how this bolsters the security. He also reiterated how you will be able to protect your privacy. I think the security is going to be a disappointment, and here's why...

A large number of Android apps require access to parts of your phone that obviously allow them to gather data and target ads for you or measure patterns, useage, etc. No secret here, that's why the apps are free and what everyone gripes about with Android. So if BlackBerry has enabled you to select and/deny what an app can see or do (like B10), will the app still work properly or at all? I've an inkling it won't and the app advantage of Android will be lost.

Thoughts?

X

If this proves to be the case,

Posted via CB10
    If you are presented with information from DTEK about privacy or permissions, it's up to you to accept or deny. It's your responsibility, not theirs. They don't have to ensure program works with permissions denied, they can't and won't.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 08:37 PM
    You think so?
    So do I.
    10-23-15 08:38 PM
    Hopefully DTek has more functionality than this. This is already an inherent feature to Android. The point isn't one of it being your responsibility but more a of point of whether the enhanced security is real or perceived. Android already informs you of what permissions an app is requesting. If you deny, the app doesn't load. The question is has Blackberry actually enabled a way to customize permissions and have the apps run, or has it just renamed an existing feature and we really haven't gained anything.

X
    10-23-15 09:17 PM
    I may have my understanding wrong, but achieving root would be one thing, being able to load non signed OS's would be something else entirely.
    10-23-15 09:30 PM
    On the new Android M, you have granular permissions. If you deny a certain permission like access to your phone number for example, the OS will spoof the data in order for the app to keep on working.
    10-24-15 12:38 AM
    I think it will be a problem, also. You've got a third party (BlackBerry) coming along and inserting security elements that are not part of the Android SDK and that developers don't even know about. That means that enabling your "privacy" means that plenty of apps just won't work or will operate as if there is no connectivity which will suck. You will either have a mostly locked-down device that won't run all sorts of stuff or you will have to open it up like any other Android device.
    10-24-15 12:48 AM
    I think it'll be more like the apps for your desktop today that has your name, details, etc and watches outgoing network activity to make sure the data isn't leaked. My bank offers me software like that, but its annoying. It would be useful for targets like seniors and gullible/trusting people.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 04:58 PM
    Maybe that will open peoples eyes s� they can see the security and privacy holes they had with other android phones.

As someone stated, its your choice to accept or not sharing your private data.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 05:26 PM
    Or that system will tell you are protected but it will not do squat.
    What proof one will have?
    10-24-15 08:58 PM