On my old Classic I would let my kids play youtube videos in my truck through Bluetooth. They would have fun playing DJ. It never wasted too much data. Now on my Priv, doing the same seems to blast through my data. Less than an hour of youtube wastes over a GB. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Is there an app that just plays audio from YouTube?-16455.jpg  
    10-22-16 02:17 PM
    Nah, it would need to convert then stream the media file, don't know of any App that does that (although would be a cracker of an idea)
    10-22-16 02:27 PM
    Nah, it would need to convert then stream the media file, don't know of any App that does that (although would be a cracker of an idea)
    Not really, every youtube "file" consists of several separate streams, video in different resolutions and audio in several different formats and bitrates. It's just a matter of streaming whichever stream you need, for instance, youtube-dl can show available streams and download them. The actual official YouTube players also play different streams and even switch between them on the fly (auto quality). My point is that there isn't much stopping you from just streaming an audio stream as they're not directly linked to video streams.

Anyway, as for OP's question, check this out: [APP][4.1+][v1.2.9.1] Y Music - Save 90% dat… | Android Development and Hacking

I had a different app several years ago, but I have no idea about the name. A quick google search returned several other apps, but it seems some of them are no longer available on Play Store, perhaps Google doesn't really want people to do that.

There's also the official YouTube Music app which also appears to do exactly what you want, but it appears that it's only available in the US.
    10-22-16 04:47 PM
    Not really, every youtube "file" consists of several separate streams, video in different resolutions and audio in several different formats and bitrates. It's just a matter of streaming whichever stream you need, for instance, youtube-dl can show available streams and download them. The actual official YouTube players also play different streams and even switch between them on the fly (auto quality). My point is that there isn't much stopping you from just streaming an audio stream as they're not directly linked to video streams.

Anyway, as for OP's question, check this out: [APP][4.1+][v1.2.9.1] Y Music - Save 90% dat… | Android Development and Hacking

I had a different app several years ago, but I have no idea about the name. A quick google search returned several other apps, but it seems some of them are no longer available on Play Store, perhaps Google doesn't really want people to do that.

There's also the official YouTube Music app which also appears to do exactly what you want, but it appears that it's only available in the US.
    How do I just stream audio?
    10-22-16 06:26 PM
    As a workaround, you may want to try opening youtube.com with the Firefox browser. It will allow you to turn off the screen during playback, also you will be able to filter the ads.
    10-23-16 01:18 AM
    How do I just stream audio?
    Did you try the app I linked? It appears to be able to do that. Haven't tried myself as I don't have time atm...

As I said, there were several other, but Google apparently removed them from the Play Store.

Also, you can set the regular YouTube app to load HD videos only on Wi-Fi, that should also save your data.
    10-23-16 03:16 AM
    Did you try the app I linked? It appears to be able to do that. Haven't tried myself as I don't have time atm...

As I said, there were several other, but Google apparently removed them from the Play Store.

Also, you can set the regular YouTube app to load HD videos only on Wi-Fi, that should also save your data.
    Thanks for the idea. I'm not crazy about downloading apps from unknown sources though.
    10-23-16 09:06 AM
    As a workaround, you may want to try opening youtube.com with the Firefox browser. It will allow you to turn off the screen during playback, also you will be able to filter the ads.
    Does turning the screen off actually reduce data usage?
    10-23-16 09:09 AM
    Does turning the screen off actually reduce data usage?
    Probably NOT.

I did a quick DuckDuck search. But did not really explore the results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=stream+you...ffab&ia=videos
    10-23-16 09:32 AM
    You can use the official YouTube Music app but you will require a YouTube Red subscription. The app will allow you to play just music and have it running in the background, it's quite nice. As mentioned earlier, you can only get YouTube Red in the USA for now.
    10-23-16 12:22 PM
    There are several options to have background audio playback:

1. A YouTube mod named OGYouTube: [APP][MOD]OGYouTube v2.1 Downloader, Popup/B… | Android Development and Hacking
    2. A lightweight YouTube client named NewPipe: https://fossdroid.com/a/newpipe.html
    10-23-16 12:44 PM
    Thanks for the input guys. I downloaded pvstar+ from Amazon and it does what I was looking for.
    10-23-16 06:28 PM
    I use firetube from the Amazon store. It works well for video or just audio.
    10-24-16 03:54 AM
    I use firetube from the Amazon store. It works well for video or just audio.
    Try http://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/...&v=AkjWVnpigjI
    10-24-16 10:36 AM