I got my Priv on launch day from AT&T. The stock launcher seemed buggy and unpolished. Switched to Nova early on and never looked back.
    My question is this. With the multiple updates BlackBerry launcher has received, is it worth my time to switch back and spend the time getting it all set up to my liking? Or would you recommend just sticking with Nova??

Curve8300 - Curve9220 - Torch9850 - Z10 - Priv
    05-03-16 10:13 AM
    I've been back and forth between Nova and Action Launcher. I still get most of the BB shortcuts (as widgets) so I use those. Best thing on Action Launcher, you still get pop up widgets if you like and. I really like Action Launcher.

I use them both to remove the black status and home button bars (they're transparent on mine).
    05-03-16 11:19 AM
    The only thing that is important to me with Nova is the lock function to prevent accidentally move the icon around
    05-03-16 11:22 AM
    The only thing that is important to me with Nova is the lock function to prevent accidentally move the icon around
    Same. Both Action Launcher and Nova Launcher offer this.
    05-03-16 11:52 AM
    Can you keep the BlackBerry productivity tab on other launchers??

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-03-16 12:04 PM
    What I like about Nova is the gestures (bb10-ish), removing status bar and home buttons..

05-03-16 12:28 PM
    Can you keep the BlackBerry productivity tab on other launchers??

Yes.
    05-03-16 01:28 PM
    Hello,

@Jberb, i am not sure when you last used the stock BlackBerry Launcher, but i shall highlight some of the changes that have gone in recently up to our latest release in Marshmallow.

In no particular order:
    1. bug fixes and improvements to performance (trying to address lag and improving app launch speeds etc.)
    2. within the overview screen (long press on home screen) the following changes:
    a) ability to set home panel
    b) press and hold on panel to easily delete/remove
    3. All apps grid now sorts your most recent used applications (default view)
    4. On fresh install of M, you will now be presented with 3 new overlays to help bring awareness to features available on launcher such as... (targetted to new users to Android to help with the transistion)
    a) Press and hold on empty space to open launcher overview to get access to wallpapers, widgets, icons packs and settings
    b) pop-up widgets turned on by default and how to use the feature
    c) Productivity tab - what it is and how to activate it
    d) location of all your apps (all apps button)
    e) Getting started folder added to your home screen to help with the on-boarding of your device from a previous. within the folder you can find:
    i) Content Transfer app (transfer locally stored data from previous device over to your PRIV)
    ii) BlackBerry Help app - answers to your questions
    iii) BlackBerry Preview app - App to help users understand the features of their phone as well as will inform users of upcoming features, devices, etc.

@eggman i cannot confirm all launchers, but you should be able to use the Tab with alternate launchers.

To everyone, i am interested in knowing what features from Nova and Action launcher are your favorite (or any other ones you like). Thank you to those already that have shared. It is really interesting to understand how users modify their experience and as we strive to add/improve the BlackBerry launcher experience, it always is our priority to add features that our users value.

Thanks

Dev
    Product Manager - BlackBerry
    05-03-16 01:40 PM
    Hello,

@Jberb, i am not sure when you last used the stock BlackBerry Launcher, but i shall highlight some of the changes that have gone in recently up to our latest release in Marshmallow.

In no particular order:
    1. bug fixes and improvements to performance (trying to address lag and improving app launch speeds etc.)
    2. within the overview screen (long press on home screen) the following changes:
    a) ability to set home panel
    b) press and hold on panel to easily delete/remove
    3. All apps grid now sorts your most recent used applications (default view)
    4. On fresh install of M, you will now be presented with 3 new overlays to help bring awareness to features available on launcher such as... (targetted to new users to Android to help with the transistion)
    a) Press and hold on empty space to open launcher overview to get access to wallpapers, widgets, icons packs and settings
    b) pop-up widgets turned on by default and how to use the feature
    c) Productivity tab - what it is and how to activate it
    d) location of all your apps (all apps button)
    e) Getting started folder added to your home screen to help with the on-boarding of your device from a previous. within the folder you can find:
    i) Content Transfer app (transfer locally stored data from previous device over to your PRIV)
    ii) BlackBerry Help app - answers to your questions
    iii) BlackBerry Preview app - App to help users understand the features of their phone as well as will inform users of upcoming features, devices, etc.

@eggman i cannot confirm all launchers, but you should be able to use the Tab with alternate launchers.

To everyone, i am interested in knowing what features from Nova and Action launcher are your favorite (or any other ones you like). Thank you to those already that have shared. It is really interesting to understand how users modify their experience and as we strive to add/improve the BlackBerry launcher experience, it always is our priority to add features that our users value.

Thanks

Dev
    Thank you sir. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I certainly appreciate your reply and general presence in these forums.

FF22 likes this.
    05-03-16 01:44 PM

Thanks

Dev
    Interesting, I do like the presence that BB has on public forums for input. One thing I can say is that with Android users in particular, due to how prolific the app market is, we tend to by default replace stock apps with the ones we've grown accustomed to, largely because the early Android manufacturers had a bad habit of making inferior solutions, and then not caring about their uses' concerns about these solutions. Particularly, surrounding things like launchers, file managers, image apps, etc, so, I think the reason we still do this is due to that learned behaviour. Personally, I have only ever made use of Nova launcher, for no particular reason than the fact that I like how it works and have used it a long time. But, the main things I personally like from Nova would be as follows (since I haven't been using the BB launcher I can't say whether any of these things exist in it or not, but they're the things I use Nova for)

- ability to adjust desktop padding
    - ability to overlap widgets
    - ability to resize widgets
    - ability to lock desktop (as mentioned above)
    - Wallpaper scrolling and infinite desktop/app drawer scrolling
    - ability to disable tabs in app drawer
    - adjusting scroll and animation speeds
    - customizable icon sets
    - hotword detection from desktop/any screen
    - customizable home button action

I think that rounds out my list. Hope the info proves valuable.
    jberb1984 likes this.
    05-03-16 03:04 PM
    Hello sir,

Personally, I am in between the BlackBerry and the Action Launchers due to the pursuit of gestures similar to bb10. Ultimately, I use the BlackBerry launcher more over the Action one for the kb shortcuts but I miss some features of Action Launcher. In particular I would like to suggest to add:
    1.- in home screen, allow the ability to assign swipe from the left edge to right to a given app; in my case, I would assign this to go to Hub, which is a personal single reason to use Action Launcher. I can't help swiping left in home screen to get to the Hub.
    2.- ability to assign swipe up from home button to an app or action; in my case, I would assign this to go back to previous app, a-la-bb10. I understand there is an app called swipeup utility which does this but at least for me it's not working, apparently due to MM.

If you add these two features I would be a very happy camper. I am sure others with a lot more experience working and using android will give better tips but please, consider these two.

Thanks for your time and help

Thanks

Dev
    05-04-16 11:11 PM
    I've always used the BlackBerry launcher as I LOVE the long + short press shortcuts option on pkb.
    1 long press key calls my husband, another will send a text to him, I have keys set for my son's and other frequent contacts. Others open onstar and maps. Yadda yadda 😁

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    FF22 likes this.
    05-05-16 04:43 AM
    @DeeJayBB will we see updates to the launcher in the future that will add more than email to the productivity tab i.e. texts, BBM / whatsapp, etc ?

Would be a neat way to replicate BB10's peak feature.

05-05-16 04:53 AM
    @DeeJayBB will we see updates to the launcher in the future that will add more than email to the productivity tab i.e. texts, BBM / whatsapp, etc ?

Would be a neat way to replicate BB10's peak feature.

Seconded!!

Also please fix the Hub WhatsApp issue whereby WA messages are unread even though I have actually read them in the WA app...

05-05-16 04:57 AM
    Bring hub in the most left screen like bb10 ,like flipboard in Samsung, like Gmail on Google launcher
    05-05-16 04:58 AM