I want to get this out of the way: I take NO credit for this whatsoever, I merely wish to share it because it feels magical. A very kind user who enjoys helping others out named plenTpak helped us Tasker n00bs set this up, and another kind user named Trisk333 came up with the idea in the first place.

The idea is simple. If you enjoy using a different virtual keyboard (SwiftKey, Swype, or one of the billions of others), you have to give up the feature of swiping up on the physical keyboard to enter suggestions, as only the BB virtual keyboard and physical keyboard combo allows for this. Instead of switching inputs constantly, most users would probably just settle for one or the other. Well, what if you simply automate the input switching so that you don't have to do it yourself; the phone just switches to each input depending on whether you slide the physical keyboard out or slide it back in. Tasker has been around for years, but its interface isn't the most user-friendly and it has the potential to get confusing rather quickly.

The two apps you'll need are:

Tasker (paid): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....taskerm&hl=en
    AutoInput (free) ((tasker plug-in)): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utoinput&hl=en

To make this more of a flat-out step-by-step without commentary, if that's more your thing, the TL;DR version can be had by following the highlights.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    [on CB10 ? jump to the non highlighted version post #3 !]

1.) First, you'll want to open Tasker.

You'll be presented with the Profiles tab. Ignore everything and just hit the + sign. Click State --> Hardware --> Keyboard Out. Ignore the "Invert" box. Then hit the back button (don't be worried about it not saving) to back out.
    You'll have a dialogue pop up about adding a task to what you just created (you're basically telling your phone "okay, you're going to do something when ___ happens", in this case, when the keyboard is out. Now, you're about to tell it what that something will be).
    Add a task and name it something if you'd like. I named mine "Switch KBD". Click the checkmark afterwards.
    Go to the + sign again, and choose Input --> Input Method Select.

2.) Second, you're going to do the same thing, but hit the invert button this time.
    Plus + sign --> State --> Hardware --> Keyboard Out. Checkmark "Invert", as this will turn it into "Keyboard In" eventually. Back button to back out.
    Select "New Task". If you want, name it. I named mine "Switch KBD 2". Click the checkmark.

Now you need to use the free plugin for Tasker called AutoInput. So far, all we've done is make the input switching dialogue box pop up upon opening and closing the physical keyboard (you can test for yourself by doing so now. If it doesn't work, you've done something wrong).
    What we want is for the phone to now automatically select these for us.

Once AutoInput is downloaded, open it and click the red text if it says it needs to be enabled for accessibility service.

1.) Open Tasker again, and open the "Keyboard Out" profile with whatever name you chose associated with it.
    You'll see a number 1, with "Input Method Select" next to it. That's what we created earlier. Now, hit the + sign at the bottom again, and this time select Plugin --> AutoInput --> Action.
    Hit the edit pencil at the right to edit the configuration (this is where you're going to tell the phone what to automatically do). This opens up AutoInput.
    Ignore everything and just select Action --> Click.
    Select Field Type --> Text.
    Select Field Text --> "English (US)
    " ***This is very important. Type the name of the keyboard EXACTLY how it appears in the dialogue box when you are switching inputs. The virtual BB Keyboard, since I am using English US as my language, is simply called "English (US)" in that box, so that's what I needed to type. If using a different language for your virtual BB keyboard, you'd need to type the name of that one, such as "French (Canada)", or whichever you use.
    Once done, hit the checkmark in the upper-right-hand corner.

Now that you've told the phone to open the input dialogue box when the keyboard is slid out, and then told it to automatically select the BB virtual keyboard also when it's slid out, now you just need to tell it which input to select when the keyboard is slid back in. Follow the same procedure as above.

2.) Open Tasker. Select the "Keyboard In" profile.
    Hit the + sign to add another, and select Plugin --> AutoInput --> Action.
    Hit the edit pencil to edit the configuration within AutoInput.
    Select Action --> Click.
    Select Field Text --> "SwiftKey Keyboard"
    ***Again, you can put any of your input methods here, as long as they are typed EXACTLY how they are spelled when switching inputs.
    Hit the checkmark in the upper-right-hand corner.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Now go to a text field such as your messaging app or browser. Get ready to feel magical.
    Slide your keyboard out. Watch it switch to the virtual BB keyboard, granting you flicking for suggestions.
    Slide your keyboard in. Watch it switch to Swiftkey (or whichever you chose), granting you, well, that keyboard.

Pat yourself on the back and thank users plenTpak and Trisk333.
    Last edited by Jonneh; 01-14-16 at 03:10 AM. Reason: added link to unlighted version
    01-14-16 02:59 AM
    Thanks for sharing
    01-14-16 03:04 AM
    Thanks, that's great !
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Duplicated, without highlights, 'cauz it's a pain on CB10 !

I want to get this out of the way: I take NO credit for this whatsoever, I merely wish to share it because it feels magical. A very kind user who enjoys helping others out named plenTpak helped us Tasker n00bs set this up, and another kind user named Trisk333 came up with the idea in the first place.

The idea is simple. If you enjoy using a different virtual keyboard (SwiftKey, Swype, or one of the billions of others), you have to give up the feature of swiping up on the physical keyboard to enter suggestions, as only the BB virtual keyboard and physical keyboard combo allows for this. Instead of switching inputs constantly, most users would probably just settle for one or the other. Well, what if you simply automate the input switching so that you don't have to do it yourself; the phone just switches to each input depending on whether you slide the physical keyboard out or slide it back in. Tasker has been around for years, but its interface isn't the most user-friendly and it has the potential to get confusing rather quickly.

The two apps you'll need are:

Tasker (paid): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....taskerm&hl=en
    AutoInput (free) ((tasker plug-in)): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utoinput&hl=en

To make this more of a flat-out step-by-step without commentary, if that's more your thing, the TL;DR version can be had by following the highlights.

1.) First, you'll want to open Tasker.

You'll be presented with the Profiles tab. Ignore everything and just hit the + sign. Click State --> Hardware --> Keyboard Out. Ignore the "Invert" box. Then hit the back button (don't be worried about it not saving) to back out.
    You'll have a dialogue pop up about adding a task to what you just created (you're basically telling your phone "okay, you're going to do something when ___ happens", in this case, when the keyboard is out. Now, you're about to tell it what that something will be).
    Add a task and name it something if you'd like. I named mine "Switch KBD". Click the checkmark afterwards.

2.) Second, you're going to do the same thing, but hit the invert button this time.
    Plus + sign --> State --> Hardware --> Keyboard Out. Checkmark "Invert", as this will turn it into "Keyboard In" eventually. Back button to back out.
    Select "New Task". If you want, name it. I named mine "Switch KBD 2". Click the checkmark.

Now you need to use the free plugin for Tasker called AutoInput. So far, all we've done is make the input switching dialogue box pop up upon opening and closing the physical keyboard (you can test for yourself by doing so now. If it doesn't work, you've done something wrong).
    What we want is for the phone to now automatically select these for us.

Once AutoInput is downloaded, open it and click the red text if it says it needs to be enabled for accessibility service.

1.) Open Tasker again, and open the "Keyboard Out" profile with whatever name you chose associated with it.
    You'll see a number 1, with "Input Method Select" next to it. That's what we created earlier. Now, hit the + sign at the bottom again, and this time select Plugin --> AutoInput --> Action.
    Hit the edit pencil at the right to edit the configuration (this is where you're going to tell the phone what to automatically do). This opens up AutoInput.
    Ignore everything and just select Action --> Click.
    Select Field Text --> "English (US)" ***This is very important. Type the name of the keyboard EXACTLY how it appears in the dialogue box when you are switching inputs. The virtual BB Keyboard, since I am using English US as my language, is simply called "English (US)" in that box, so that's what I needed to type. If using a different language for your virtual BB keyboard, you'd need to type the name of that one, such as "French (Canada)", or whichever you use.
    Once done, hit the checkmark in the upper-right-hand corner.

Now that you've told the phone to open the input dialogue box when the keyboard is slid out, and then told it to automatically select the BB virtual keyboard also when it's slid out, now you just need to tell it which input to select when the keyboard is slid back in. Follow the same procedure as above.

2.) Open Tasker. Select the "Keyboard In" profile.
    Hit the + sign to add another, and select Plugin --> AutoInput --> Action.
    Hit the edit pencil to edit the configuration within AutoInput.
    Select Action --> Click.
    Select Field Text --> "SwiftKey Keyboard" ***Again, you can put any of your input methods here, as long as they are typed EXACTLY how they are spelled when switching inputs.
    Hit the checkmark in the upper-right-hand corner.

Now go to a text field such as your messaging app or browser. Get ready to feel magical.
    Slide your keyboard out. Watch it switch to the virtual BB keyboard, granting you flicking for suggestions.
    Slide your keyboard in. Watch it switch to Swiftkey (or whichever you chose), granting you, well, that keyboard.

Pat yourself on the back and thank users plenTpak and Trisk333.
    TBonius Rex likes this.
    01-14-16 03:05 AM
    Oh lord, I just noticed that. The web version is fine, but the CB app doesn't format the HL tag properly? Yikes.
    I'll just get rid of the highlights.

Oh nevermind, I see how you added the link to the non-highlighted version. I suppose that works. Thanks!
    01-14-16 03:19 AM
    thanks a lot!!
    01-14-16 05:27 AM
    Thanks! I'm going to give the a try when I have some time to spare. I was actually thinking of posting on cb to see if this war possible. I love SwiftKey, but it doesn't play very nice with the physical keyboard (there are numerous bugs when using the pkb), so I'm constantly toggling SwiftKey and the BlackBerry keyboards.
    01-14-16 08:40 AM
    thanks a lot!!
    No problem!

Thanks! I'm going to give the a try when I have some time to spare. I was actually thinking of posting on cb to see if this war possible. I love SwiftKey, but it doesn't play very nice with the physical keyboard (there are numerous bugs when using the pkb), so I'm constantly toggling SwiftKey and the BlackBerry keyboards.
    Yeah, SwiftKey is my jam as well (and has been for a few years now). I have it customized just the way I like it. I know what you mean about it being buggy with the physical keyboard; it always acted janky. I was switching back and forth as well. Now, my phone just does it for me! It's great! Hope you can get it to your liking soon!
    01-14-16 02:37 PM
    01-16-16 09:18 PM
    Thanks zocster! =)
    01-17-16 09:38 AM
    Hi,

First of all - Thanks a lot!
    The Idea is amazing - it can be amazing for my usage.

But, for some reason I'm failing again and again with the process.
    Eventually, after doing it, everytime I open or close the keyboard - I get the damn input method selection menu.
    What am I missing here?

Thanks again!
    :-)
    01-27-16 10:50 PM
    Never Mind... Got it!
    The Google keyboard has the same name as the BB one ("English (US)" ).
    I guess it was on the way there or something, so I removed it - Working like a charm

Thanks anyway!
    Jonneh likes this.
    01-27-16 11:12 PM
    Thanks op, great tip!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-27-16 11:33 PM
    Never Mind... Got it!
    The Google keyboard has the same name as the BB one ("English (US)" ).
    I guess it was on the way there or something, so I removed it - Working like a charm

Thanks anyway!
    Sorry I wasn't able to respond quick enough! But I'm glad you figured it out yourself :-)
    Isn't it great?

Thanks op, great tip!

You're welcome! Hope you can enjoy it as much as I do.
    01-28-16 10:42 AM
    Sorry I wasn't able to respond quick enough! But I'm glad you figured it out yourself :-)
    Isn't it great?
    It's amazing!
    Well, of course things can be better, official wise... and I'm sure in future it'll.
    But until then, you absolutely nailed it!

Thanks again!

01-28-16 07:12 PM
    Tried it a week or so ago, no luck. Tried 4 times tonight, and again no luck. I'm pretty sure I followed everything step by step. I called my BB Keyboard 'English (Canada)' though, as that's what it shows on the dialog box. I can't even get this dialog box to pop up after step 2:

No idea what I am doing wrong. Does Tasker and/or AutoInput need to be open/running for this functionality to work? Does the phone require a reboot after everything has been configured?
    Attached Thumbnails Tasker How-To - Swiftkey when phone closed; BB Keyboard when phone open-screenshot_2016-02-03-22-32-50.jpg   Tasker How-To - Swiftkey when phone closed; BB Keyboard when phone open-screenshot_2016-02-03-22-33-05.jpg   Tasker How-To - Swiftkey when phone closed; BB Keyboard when phone open-screenshot_2016-02-03-22-33-14.jpg   Tasker How-To - Swiftkey when phone closed; BB Keyboard when phone open-screenshot_2016-02-03-22-36-27.jpg  
    02-04-16 12:35 AM
    Can;t get my keyboard state reading properly on tasker. I'm just setting up something simple first - to say 'keyboard open' when i slide open the keyboard. It does not seem to work. Inverted, it seems to work on close around 1 time in 10. Anyone know what may have changed in MM?
    06-13-16 08:00 AM
    For everyone that's having issues make sure you don't have spaces after the text that AutoInput is looking for. It's working for me fine after fixing this.
    06-16-16 03:31 PM
    To fix my own problem, I had 'show virtual keyboard always' on... which stops this working. *****. Forgot my keyboard was playing up the day before in some app or other!
    06-25-16 06:01 AM
    I, too, have failed at getting this to work. But Tasker is definitely complex.

So, I'll ask, can "macros" or Tasker Tasks be shared - that is can they be exported and imported or something similar?

Thanks in advance.
    07-17-16 09:20 PM
    It would be nice to have a solution from BlackBerry to be able to select a different keyboard for when the slider is closed. I hope this is implemented in Android 7
    08-12-16 08:26 PM
    Anyone get this to work on marshmallow for the priv?
    Never mind I got it
    02-26-17 06:22 PM
    Re-fell in love with my Priv after setting this up. Thank you for taking the time to do up the tutorial!
    04-27-17 03:21 PM