Got all excited today noticing that tap to pay is on-board.

Went to Rogers to get a NFC/Tap SIM card

Then realized the cold truth that this is not really a function that is widely supported in Canada!!?!

My question is, will and does this feature really have a chance to be mainstream or is it just a 'useless feature' to sell phones?
    03-01-16 12:36 AM
    Something will become mainstream but I don't think it will come from the carriers. The smart phone platforms such as Google Wallet an Apple Pay have the users and the technology. Some of the retailers are making a go of it with their own network but they don't have the most convenient technology such as Touch ID or whatever the platforms are building in at the OS level to conveniently integrate credit cards and facilitate the transaction. It's slowly but steadily catching on. A couple years from now it will be a standard feature for any smart phone.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-01-16 12:59 AM
    Canada is certainly not the quickest to adapt some things. 2-year contracts come to mind. Don't worry, we'll get there eventually.

I've only come across a couple of places where I can use the tap to pay. Even then, staff didn't seem too familiar or comfortable with how it worked.
    03-01-16 06:27 AM
    See if your banking app supports it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-01-16 06:54 AM
    See if your banking app supports it.

RBC android app certainly does. Comes in handy when I forget my wallet.

nward2010 likes this.
    03-01-16 08:08 AM
    OK, I have 'loaded' both my debit card and RBC credit card to the app.

Now how do I use it?

Do I change the setting on the tap and pay section in settings on the phone to RBC?

Then when at a store, what do I do? do I need to open the RBC app, select the card and tap the phone?
    03-02-16 01:02 AM
    OK, I have 'loaded' both my debit card and RBC credit card to the app.

Now how do I use it?

Do I change the setting on the tap and pay section in settings on the phone to RBC?

Then when at a store, what do I do? do I need to open the RBC app, select the card and tap the phone?
    Yes change the default to RBC. When you want to use it make sure the terminal has Paywave available. Make sure you have NFC on and hold the back of the phone against the Paywave screen and you should be good to go. It will beep a couple of times and you are done. There may be a certain limit per transaction so make sure you still have your cards on you. B

03-02-16 06:58 AM
    Basically think of it as the same as a tap and pay card. With the same limitations ($100.00) per transaction. Anywhere a tap and pay card works. The app should work.

You also need to set a password. I actually find it more cumbersome than simply tapping a credit or debit card. However I'm debating leaving the plastic at home as it is more secure (password). If I ever have my cards stolen, I could be robbed very easily $100.00 at a time.

PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-02-16 07:20 AM
    Got all excited today noticing that tap to pay is on-board.

Went to Rogers to get a NFC/Tap SIM card

Then realized the cold truth that this is not really a function that is widely supported in Canada!!?!

My question is, will and does this feature really have a chance to be mainstream or is it just a 'useless feature' to sell phones?
    Tap to pay is HUGELY supported in Canada, and especially so compared to the United States. Nearly everywhere I shop has terminals that allow you to tap your credit card. These tap to pay apps use the same terminals and technology. Just tell the sales clerk "paying with Visa (or whatever credit card is attached to the app)"

To summarise, the tap to pay apps are just taking advantage of the technology that's been added to ALL credit cards in Canada for a few years...the RFID chip and NFC.

I've been using a tap to pay app for about 18 months.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 10:24 AM
    Most shops I hit in the US still have little stickers over the "chip slots" in their pay-pads "Coming soon!" Where it does work, it is slower than swiping the magnetic strip.

I do like that in Canada in restaurants my credit card is swiped/chipped at the table rather than in some back room somewhere!
    03-23-16 11:34 AM
    Ugo wallet works almost everywhere I have tried it.

03-23-16 12:34 PM
    I use Ugo for 90% of my purchases. I've even used at at a pub where the waitress brings the terminal to the table AND I've used it to tap to pay for pizza delivery to home!

The actual tap to pay is quicker than inserting a card and inputting a PIN, but if you're using your phone the app has to be open first because it takes about 20 seconds to load. Tapping with a real card is by far the fastest.

I see that Ugo doesn't support the Priv yet. I wonder why?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 07:08 PM
    Most shops I hit in the US still have little stickers over the "chip slots" in their pay-pads "Coming soon!" Where it does work, it is slower than swiping the magnetic strip.

I do like that in Canada in restaurants my credit card is swiped/chipped at the table rather than in some back room somewhere!
    The evolution went magnetic swipe, chip slots, then NFC tap to pay (which is either right on the LCD display or a flat antenna on top). At gas station pumps supporting it it's usually a flat area on the pump with the requisite Visa payWave or MasterCard PayPass labels. So those US shops with the chip slots covered are TWO steps behind the times.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by timboalogo; 03-23-16 at 08:53 PM.
    03-23-16 07:14 PM
    Ugo wallet works almost everywhere I have tried it.

Yep, not only use it at home, but used it on holiday in the UK and Spain. Only place I couldn't use it was in San Francisco because nowhere had RFID/NFC point of sale terminals. Even as many in the US are making a thing of Apple Pay, much of the western world already has the system working on Android (and of course BlackBerry) devices.

In Canada Apple Pay only works with Amex cards because the banks and Visa and Mastercard and secure providers (such as Ugo) have already negotiated deals. Apple is late to the party with NFC.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by timboalogo; 03-23-16 at 08:54 PM.
    03-23-16 07:20 PM
    I use Ugo for 90% of my purchases. I've even used at at a pub where the waitress brings the terminal to the table AND I've used it to tap to pay for pizza delivery to home!

The actual tap to pay is quicker than inserting a card and inputting a PIN, but if you're using your phone the app has to be open first because it takes about 20 seconds to load. Tapping with a real card is by far the fastest.

I see that Ugo doesn't support the Priv yet. I wonder why?

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't support the Priv? I have it installed on my Priv.
    03-23-16 07:52 PM
    Canada has great support for tap and pay! I've been using tap and pay on all phones past and present...my z10 Z30 passports and priv. TD and UGO are my go to apps.

03-23-16 08:17 PM
    That's funny: I'd just checked the Ugo website yesterday to see if there was Priv support, and the phone wasn't listed! I'm hedging my bets in case I have to abandon my Passport and I was curious if I could transfer my Ugo tap to pay to a Priv. I'm glad to hear it's supported, but surprised I didn't see it mentioned on their website as supported.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-16 08:47 PM
    That's funny: I'd just checked the Ugo website yesterday to see if there was Priv support, and the phone wasn't listed! I'm hedging my bets in case I have to abandon my Passport and I was curious if I could transfer my Ugo tap to pay to a Priv. I'm glad to hear it's supported, but surprised I didn't see it mentioned on their website as supported.

Posted via CB10
    I had to dig into the Ugo site to find what you were referring to for compatibility. Hardly an intuitive list to find. They're also missing the HTC One M9. Probably more. Maybe they lost track of the list internally as well?
    03-23-16 08:55 PM
    TD has tap to pay now for Priv and ugo works too if your card is supported

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    03-23-16 08:58 PM
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/03/03/td...ts-to-its-app/

Has anyone tried the TD Android app on their BlackBerry 10 yet? "TD Canada Trust�s new mobile payments solution supports Visa cards without the need for a NFC SIM"

I'm tempted to open an account just to pay with my BlackBerry. Every time I pay at Tim Hortons the staff are amazed and ask what kind of phone I have.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 03:12 AM
    RBC App works great. Saying that, I wish Amex had one in Canada. or at least Google Pay used Amex like Apple at least does.

Posted from my Priv
    03-27-16 10:34 AM

Has anyone tried the TD Android app on their BlackBerry 10 yet? "TD Canada Trust�s new mobile payments solution supports Visa cards without the need for a NFC SIM"

I'm tempted to open an account just to pay with my BlackBerry. Every time I pay at Tim Hortons the staff are amazed and ask what kind of phone I have.

Posted via CB10
    It apparently requires android 4.4 and above. I'm under the impression BlackBerry 10 is limited to 4.3

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 11:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    As others in here have recommended and use Ugo App...it works extremely well and I use it pretty much all the time since 95% of the places I go accepts tap and pay (all major restaurants/fast food chains, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Shoppers drug mart, London drugs, Canadian Tire and gas stations such as Petro Canada.

Tap to Pay functionality-img_20160327_091544.png

Tap to Pay functionality-img_20150714_221042.jpg

Tap to Pay functionality-img_20150714_221042_edit.jpg

Now going back to using the TD Android app...the mobile deposit works perfectly except for the mobile payment (tap and pay) as when I try and add either my debit or visa card it comes up with this.

Tap to Pay functionality-img_20160327_091827.png

Tap to Pay functionality-img_20160327_091836.png

Tap to Pay functionality-img_20160327_091845.png

I'm on a Passport so if you're on BlackBerry 10 and use a TD Visa or PC MasterCard...Ugo App for is the way to go. RBC and TD Android apps albeit both allowing the functionality of mobile deposit, doesn't work for tap and pay on BB10 devices.

 BlackBerry Passport on Telus Network
    03-27-16 11:34 AM
    Well I'm glad that I didn't open an account at TD to discover that.

I'm on Wind. I guess I should be used to disappointment...

Posted via CB10
    03-27-16 12:48 PM
    Ugo Wallet isn't compatible with PC Mastercard World Elite (PCs top card) yet!

It's so lame, because this credit card has been out for half a year.
    03-27-16 01:36 PM
58 123