Bought a Priv on launch day from Telus in Vancouver. Noticed several issues with it - screen on lower left was a bit loose and clicked when touched in closed position. Keyboard was quite soft. Keyboard very often recognized a double-tap of a letter as a single press. Volume up button was almost flush against the side of the phone. While all of these issues were annoying to me I assumed they were within normal parameters, not having another unit to compare to.

I bought a hardshell case and discovered that the volume up key would not work inside the case, thus proving the unit was defective. Telus allowed me to swap the priv for a new unit and - Wow - every hardware issue I had flagged was fixed! Keyboard much clickier (and much, much, much easier to type on), single-press error no longer occurring, screen no longer loose, and volume-up key now protruding out from the side as it should.

The interesting thing to me is how many issues were fixed by exchanging the device. Obviously the unit I had initially had been manufactured poorly in many respects. The difference in my phone satisfaction is night and day - mostly from the keyboard differences - which I did not even realized was a defect.

I wonder how many other lemon Privs are floating around out there.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    B_Rad BurnZ and vptsff like this.
    11-09-15 02:25 AM

The less, the better.
    11-09-15 03:24 AM
    Bought a Priv on launch day from Telus in Vancouver. Noticed several issues with it - screen on lower left was a bit loose and clicked when touched in closed position. Keyboard was quite soft. Keyboard very often recognized a double-tap of a letter as a single press. Volume up button was almost flush against the side of the phone. While all of these issues were annoying to me I assumed they were within normal parameters, not having another unit to compare to.

I bought a hardshell case and discovered that the volume up key would not work inside the case, thus proving the unit was defective. Telus allowed me to swap the priv for a new unit and - Wow - every hardware issue I had flagged was fixed! Keyboard much clickier (and much, much, much easier to type on), single-press error no longer occurring, screen no longer loose, and volume-up key now protruding out from the side as it should.

The interesting thing to me is how many issues were fixed by exchanging the device. Obviously the unit I had initially had been manufactured poorly in many respects. The difference in my phone satisfaction is night and day - mostly from the keyboard differences - which I did not even realized was a defect.

I love my Priv but, I think I am having some of the same issues you are. My screen seems a bit loose and clicks at the lower corners. It also has some slight side to side movement when the keyboard is out. I wasn't sure if it was just the way it was supposed to be, or what. I think I am going to try to get a replacement. It is my favourite phone by far aside from these issues. Thanks for echoing a question that has been bothering me for a few days.
    11-09-15 03:37 AM
    Lemons happen with any phones. Even though many flagships are very expensive, they still are mass produced devices and as such quality control is spotty. Even some iPhones are lemons out of the box. Still my personal experience with BlackBerry is they have an above average number of poor units out there and I hope they improved with the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 04:36 AM
    This is a first time production of a brand new type of phone.

I'm guessing there will be many lemons out there.

I'm waiting for at least the 3rd batch before diving in.

This is how manufacturing is unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 05:40 AM
    This is a first time production of a brand new type of phone.

I'm guessing there will be many lemons out there.

I'm waiting for at least the 3rd batch before diving in.

This is how manufacturing is unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    Just got mine from store stock on launch day as not sure my rogers reservation device would be there Friday or not and I was quite impressed with my particular device as the build is perfect no issues whatsoever. However in the past I've had to return a bold 9900 due to a screen which was manufactured crooked. The build quality is quite impressive with the new PRIV.

11-09-15 08:24 AM
    The priv I picked up at an AT&T store seems fine except for the battery, AT&T is going to swap it out for another one today so I will see how that goes.

11-09-15 08:44 AM