So tempted to bite on the ebay Priv for $299USD which comes to about 450 to 500 CAD after shipping and taxes I think.

Bomb deal.

But would you guys say it's still to high a price for a dubious version of the Priv?

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    06-26-16 10:32 AM
    IMO - I wouldn't touch it.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-26-16 10:48 AM
    There's nothing dubious about the AT&T branded unlocked Priv, it's all about AT&T and their nefarious history concerning updates. The phone is fine, I have one. AT&T on the other hand.....
    Laura Knotek and enlubo12 like this.
    06-26-16 11:19 AM
    The overwhelming number of hardware and battery complaints concern the AT&T version. Admittedly AT&T got the majority of Priv's, at least the -1 version.
    The market is flooded with AT&T versions and nobody knows where they are coming from. I'd be concerned that they are returns being resold. Course if they were refurbed properly, this might be a good thing.

I wouldn't take the chance, and if I did, I'd make **** sure I had a good and complete warranty.
    06-26-16 11:34 AM
    i would never get the ATT or even TMOB model.....you never know when you will get updates
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-26-16 11:54 AM
    So tempted to bite on the ebay Priv for $299USD which comes to about 450 to 500 CAD after shipping and taxes I think.

Bomb deal.

But would you guys say it's still to high a price for a dubious version of the Priv?

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    If you are having problems with it, I think there is a return period that you can return the product without a problem. I would imagine that it would be fine

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    06-26-16 11:59 AM
    i would never get the ATT or even TMOB model.....you never know when you will get updates
    I would rate TMO models over AT&T, considering they are almost, just almost, par with factory unlocked now. Latest build AAF518 is par with factory in Beta.
    06-26-16 12:15 PM
    If you are having problems with it, I think there is a return period that you can return the product without a problem. I would imagine that it would be fine

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    Not necessarily with eBay resellers. Mind you these are small liquidators, not major chains. Possibly just some sweaty dude living in a basement with boxes of phones lying around. I'm surprised they even answered eBay mails.
    06-26-16 12:16 PM
    The issue is always going to be support with a "side channel" sale like that. It's a material risk, but one you can mitigate to some extent with PayPal and your credit card issuer IF you have a bad experience out of box.

Beyond that, when it comes to software updates, it's a dicier proposition.

I will say this though -- AT&T blows big ones as a carrier when it comes to updates and such, but in terms of network coverage they still make T-Mobile look like garbage, and for those without Band12 in their phones T-Mobile has actually *shrunk* their coverage over the last 6-12 months -- by a LOT.

If you live in one of the pink areas on this map you're subject to this and may have already been hit by it. I can tell you from experience that Michigan is one of those places -- there used to be no T-Mobile service materially north of Flint at all and now there is on Band 12 over basically the entire lower peninsula and the eastern part of the UP -- but at the same time they turned off a HUGE amount of former capacity on their PCS bands to the extent that on a trip in the last couple of weeks a T-Mobile device had no service in the central part of the state until well south of Lansing with the exception of a couple of very small pockets near Gaylord and on 127 in the immediate vicinity of a few towns. Essentially if you go outside of one of the major cities (e.g. the Detroit Metro area, etc) in that state and have no Band12 on your phone you're hosed on T-Mobile.

http://maps.spectrumgateway.com/t-mo...-spectrum.html
    06-26-16 01:22 PM
    All true, but nearly every T-Mobile phone they've sold for the last 2+ years has had Band 12 in it, which means most people have seen great improvement in coverage, with a few people who have "lost" due to either having an old phone or bringing an AT&T or "international" GSM phone over to T-Mo. As time moves on, fewer and fewer will be affected as they replace their phones due to attrition.
    06-26-16 02:13 PM
    The Priv (whether AT&T, T-Mobile or unlocked factory) has Band 12, so it won't bite you in either event with those.

The problem here is that over time this is going to get a LOT worse. There's a new set of spectrum opening up in 600Mhz, and there is nothing today that has that band in it. When it starts to get deployed and turned up we'll go through this again.

AT&T is shutting down most if not all of their GSM towers this year, but most of those are on 850, the spectrum is being reused for LTE, but most modern phones should have the ability to "see" that already, so on AT&T it's less of an issue.
    06-26-16 02:31 PM
    Possibly just some sweaty dude living in a basement with boxes of phones lying around.
    Not likely a random person with a few extras. Almost 4000 have been sold in less than a week.

http://ebay.to/28Wncx1
    06-26-16 08:38 PM
    I bought one after my original STV-100 got crunched. No problems, very happy. They come with an unlock code. Slipped in my ATT sim and off I went.

I have been happy with monthly updates put out by BB/ATT. Even when on 5.1 I have been happy and coverage is great for ATT in my area.

You want to talk about poor updates? Verizon.
    06-27-16 05:35 PM