Got Priv from TMobile shortly after it came out. I did not buy the phone outright, I made a down-payment of about 300 and chose to finance the remaining amount towards my monthly bill

Now after hearing that T mobile will no longer be offering the PRIV, I decided to see how much I could get if I traded the PRIV back in. Normally you could get a big chunk back seeing as the phone is still fairly new. After I did an estimate on tmobile site to see what the worth of the PRIV is. It stated around $43!!!?? Is this some sort of joke!? Am I the only one who sees something terribly wrong with this?!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-09-16 04:43 AM
    Got Priv from TMobile shortly after it came out. I did not buy the phone outright, I made a down-payment of about 300 and chose to finance the remaining amount towards my monthly bill

Now after hearing that T mobile will no longer be offering the PRIV, I decided to see how much I could get if I traded the PRIV back in. Normally you could get a big chunk back seeing as the phone is still fairly new. After I did an estimate on tmobile site to see what the worth of the PRIV is. It stated around $43!!!?? Is this some sort of joke!? Am I the only one who sees something terribly wrong with this?!

Sadly the only phone with ANY value trad ein wise is the iPhone.
    WT44, dracolnyte and tfitzpat03 like this.
    06-09-16 04:51 AM
    They told me I can pay off my phone any time... now they're telling me I have to wait about a year
    06-09-16 06:16 AM
    I was thinking about getting in on the BOGO free s7 edge with VR gear and decided to check out how much my priv was worth, I couldn't stop laughing. Tmobile has jokes!
    06-09-16 10:11 AM
    You don't think any carrier actually *loses money* with these alleged "trade-in" deals, do you?

​Buy your devices for cash and quit subsidizing the stupid.
    raino and Bay 13 like this.
    06-09-16 10:59 AM
    You don't think any carrier actually *loses money* with these alleged "trade-in" deals, do you?

​Buy your devices for cash and quit subsidizing the stupid.
    You should start a thread, find out how many people who bought from carrier will ever do it again.
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    06-09-16 11:37 AM

You should have found a way to buy a carrier free phone. Lots of threads and posts here that would have given you foresight into your present situation. Not to mention that the PRIV was not selling well in the first place.

Lesson learned hopefully. I stopped buying through carriers about five years ago. You'll never look back.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    06-09-16 01:41 PM
    I only financed through T-Mobile back in February because my unlocked Classic from Amazon was on the fritz and the $700 was WAY out of my price range. After seeing that T-Mobile still has me on the March security patch, and how great it was getting updates directly from Blackberry with the Classic - never again. If one of those "mid-range" phones supposedly coming is akin to a Blackberry Classic running Android, I'm on that immediately WITHOUT T-Mobile. Heck I'll buy a bunch if I can for my backups.
    06-09-16 01:52 PM
    I was thinking about getting in on the BOGO free s7 edge with VR gear and decided to check out how much my priv was worth, I couldn't stop laughing. Tmobile has jokes!
    T-Mobile has to recover the costs of the free Pizza and Wendy's Frosties somewhere in their budget. I am sure they have a way of getting them refurbished etc to sell to re-sellers on various online sites. So I am sure they make $$ with them coming and going.
    06-09-16 01:59 PM
    T-Mobile has to recover the costs of the free Pizza and Wendy's Frosties somewhere in their budget. I am sure they have a way of getting them refurbished etc to sell to re-sellers on various online sites. So I am sure they make $$ with them coming and going.
    Not going to lie, I did get the free pizza. HAHA.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    06-09-16 03:58 PM
    Right on the nose!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 04:03 PM
    I only financed through T-Mobile back in February because my unlocked Classic from Amazon was on the fritz and the $700 was WAY out of my price range. After seeing that T-Mobile still has me on the March security patch, and how great it was getting updates directly from Blackberry with the Classic - never again. If one of those "mid-range" phones supposedly coming is akin to a Blackberry Classic running Android, I'm on that immediately WITHOUT T-Mobile. Heck I'll buy a bunch if I can for my backups.
    What makes you think you're not going to pay the same $700, plus something for T-Mobile (they're NOT a charity; that's a for-profit company and it does nothing at an intentional loss....)

This sort of game-playing by the carriers -- and people's gullibility -- is why we have the issues we do in the cellular space in this country.
    mister2d and Bay 13 like this.
    06-10-16 09:00 AM
    What makes you think you're not going to pay the same $700, plus something for T-Mobile (they're NOT a charity; that's a for-profit company and it does nothing at an intentional loss....)

This sort of game-playing by the carriers -- and people's gullibility -- is why we have the issues we do in the cellular space in this country.
    I never said I wasn't paying $700 for the phone. I meant I didn't have $700 to solve the problem at hand immediately - my unlocked Classic not being up to par for my needs any more. Had the Priv been at most say $500 after taxes and stuff, maybe I could have sucked it up for another month or so to save up and get it unlocked.
    06-10-16 01:29 PM
    The standard trade-in are really worthless.

From time to time some carrier will do specials where they offer up to $100 or $200 trade-in on your phone... not bad if you have a 7 year old Palm Treo that they'll give you $100 for. Otherwise you are better off selling your phone yourself...

Sadly with the PRIV the resell value has dropped greatly due to the fact that there is a number of firesale devcies in the market now. If you can buy a brand new phone for $360...that will affect the resell markets and those that track the resell value.

Original price or what you paid for something in the past, has nothing to do with it's market value today....
    Bay 13 likes this.
    06-10-16 02:28 PM
    call me cheap but this is why i will never pay more than 400 bucks for any phone i rather just wait for the price to drop or buy it used from somewhere besides androids just loose value over time
    06-10-16 04:02 PM
    You could get a couple bills for it on the forums if you sell it yourself. Don't hate on T-Mo. They can't sell new Privs so their motivation to buy used ones to resell is just about nil.
    06-10-16 04:06 PM
    They told me I can pay off my phone any time... now they're telling me I have to wait about a year
    That doesn't sound like an EIP...maybe you got put on Jump! or something? EIPs you indeed can pay off anytime you want.

Maybe he meant an EIP option? That's what I took the post to mean, anyway.

I agree. Would you be OK with buying your car from Chevron/Shell/Arco, etc. because they want to ensure you keep coming back to buy gas from them? It's ridiculous.

And TMO certainly isn't helping. They may call themselves the Uncarrier and tout "no contracts!" but they do a pretty good job of making sure you buy phones through them--by placing restrictions on voLTE, band 12, WFC, etc. Can I buy an STV100-3 and get all these features?
    06-10-16 05:19 PM
    I'm conflicted about getting the free pizza now that I have one share to T-Mobile USA...
    06-10-16 05:57 PM
    The best trade-in deal I got was $250 off a T-Mobile BB10 device for my Sprint BlackBerry Torch 9850... The BlackBerry/T-Mobile tiff paid off for me.
    06-10-16 05:59 PM
    I'm conflicted about getting the free pizza now that I have one share to T-Mobile USA...
    Free diabetes!

06-10-16 06:39 PM
    Don't be. It's not like you're going to be getting a dividend any time soon...
    06-10-16 06:49 PM
    Don't be. It's not like you're going to be getting a dividend any time soon...
    Aww...
    06-10-16 08:02 PM