I bought an AT&T Priv back when the device was first launched here in the USA and had it unlocked and was using it on T-Mobile US. I decided to buy a T-Mobile version since I have a business account there and I would get the official carrier updates rather then waiting on AT&T, T-Mobile seems to get them out quicker.

Now for my concerns, I have been to a couple of T-Mobile stores here in my area, both corporate and non corporate ones and neither of them have any sort of display showing off the new Blackberry Priv. They have the device mixed in with the Samsung Galaxy and older iPhone devices and the keyboard is actually locked into position where you can't really get the true feel of the device.

Another concern based on the feedback from the sales folks is they really like the device, but they feel it should be priced around 599.00 so folks would be more receptive to taking a chance on buying it. An example is the LG V10 with a Hexacore CPU, 64 gigs of memory, removable battery and a SD card slot is priced at 599.00 and is selling like hotcakes.

I for one feel maybe Blackberry should offer special pricing on T-Mobile and AT&T and price the Priv at 579.00 as a special promotion to get folks who might be on the fence to take a chance on buying one? I know it might take a little chunk out of their profit margin, but it would get folks here in the USA to look at the brand again. To be fair about this, this should also apply to our Canadian friends to the north. I may be off base here, but based on what I have seen here, I think it just might be good move. Just my two cents worth.
    Doggerz, Jonneh, Bfalcon1 and 1 others like this.
    02-02-16 05:39 AM
    I believe that a lot of people feel the way you do. I'm in Canada and we have a similar problem where the Priv's pricing needs to be adjusted to compete in sales.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on Z30
    02-02-16 05:52 AM
    Wish you had Chen's job. I think your statement makes tons of sense and only by getting the device to the masses will BlackBerry ever make a comeback.

But Chen doesn't want the thing you want. He wants to kill off the handset business. If he wanted to save it he'd surely have come to the same conclusion you have.

He's either intentionally killing BlackBerry or he's incompetent. Can't have it both ways.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    Xadion and BallRockReaper like this.
    02-02-16 06:06 AM
    I think the Porsche thing has gotten to their heads and they're pricing the Priv as if it was a super phone. The price will drop, but by the time it happens, they would have missed out on thousands of customers. it's just a strategy and only time will tell how good it is.
    02-02-16 08:19 AM
    I don't think we should all pretend to be tech execs who know what they're talking about. Remember, Samsung is the only manufacturer actually making a profit besides Apple. So no one's actually making money selling lower cost phones. We can say the V10 is selling like hotcakes, but we don't really know that and we have no idea what the profit from that device is like. All we know is that LG isn't turning a profit from its mobile division
    anon(2313227) and raino like this.
    02-02-16 08:27 AM
    I believe that a lot of people feel the way you do. I'm in Canada and we have a similar problem where the Priv's pricing needs to be adjusted to compete in sales.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on Z30
    Well our problem was more to do with the currency. 899 CAD at launch time was a tad bit lower than 699 USD. 100 over V10 and G4 for security enhancements, curved AMOLED and keyboard is fair for a launch price.

But I do agree they could've been more aggressive about the push and do 599/799, but likely kept it at that due to stubbornness to keep BlackBerry as a "premium" brand. Here's to hope it'll be lower than that in a week or two once MWC hits, especially with the S7, G5 all coming soon.
    tufcustomer likes this.
    02-03-16 06:33 AM
    BlackBerry is a low-volume producer these days. That means that A) their production costs are much higher than large-volume producers, and B) they need to make a larger margin on their products so they can keep the lights on.

While I'm sure BlackBerry would love to sell more devices, anyone that thinks they possess some kind of unique wisdom that lowering prices might increase sales, or that the company hasn't the foggiest clue that lower prices are more appealing (if you can achieve them), think again. Selling a product below the price at which you can recover the cost of development and production with a little left over to grow the company is bad business, and BlackBerry is not in a financial position to be selling products at a loss.

Very very very few companies these days make much money at all selling Android devices. In fact, most vendors are losing money on them, and will probably not last long. I doubt BlackBerry wants to follow in their footsteps.
    Sigewif and raino like this.
    02-04-16 01:14 AM
    My take: T-Mobile is poor at marketing. They have a 0 down option after all. I think ATT has done a better job. Though some T-Mobile sales people are great, my experience is that it is hit or miss. Some of them have big opinions coupled with not much knowledge (or ability to promote) what makes a product unique. Their sales people need training in salesmanship in order to present the unique qualities of the products their company is selling instead of spouting off about prices etc. I am in sales, I do not trash talk a high-end, higher priced item even if I am making less on it. I point out the unique features. Long term, it is better for the customer and better for return business.
    02-11-16 02:37 PM
    The price of the BlackBerry Priv should have been CAD599.00 at launch with no contract and unlocked from the factory. This is a very good smartphone and it would have sold like freshly baked homemade bread.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    02-11-16 02:48 PM
    BlackBerry is a low-volume producer these days. That means that A) their production costs are much higher than large-volume producers, and B) they need to make a larger margin on their products so they can keep the lights on.

While I'm sure BlackBerry would love to sell more devices, anyone that thinks they possess some kind of unique wisdom that lowering prices might increase sales, or that the company hasn't the foggiest clue that lower prices are more appealing (if you can achieve them), think again. Selling a product below the price at which you can recover the cost of development and production with a little left over to grow the company is bad business, and BlackBerry is not in a financial position to be selling products at a loss.

Very very very few companies these days make much money at all selling Android devices. In fact, most vendors are losing money on them, and will probably not last long. I doubt BlackBerry wants to follow in their footsteps.
    Well put.
    02-11-16 02:57 PM
    The only retailer where BlackBerry can offer a deal is through ShopBlackBerry. Chen cannot make special deals through T-Mobile. They typically offer a device at a high price for launch, and later on, offer sales or discounts. Chen cannot make changes to their sales model.
    The "problem" for BlackBerry is that they don't produce any part of the phone. LG makes a lot of the V10 themselves, which I am certain gives them a lower cost to produce the phones.

I remember seeing an interview with Chen, I think it was on Bloomberg, where they asked him about the pricing and he said something close to "Priv is a very expensive phone to build".
    The "problem" for BlackBerry is that they don't produce any part of the phone. LG makes a lot of the V10 themselves, which I am certain gives them a lower cost to produce the phones.

I remember seeing an interview with Chen, I think it was on Bloomberg, where they asked him about the pricing and he said something close to "Priv is a very expensive phone to build".
    While that is probably true, its not about the current issue of this post. T-Mobile can decide to offer deals, sales or throw in free accessories IF they want to. (Look at their promotions to pay off ETFs. Those giveaways come out of their profit from monthly service.) They already have a profit built into the retail price of the phone, so they can occasionally offer a sale on phones ... but Chen cannot force T-Mo to sell the Priv for a certain price.

Don't you wonder why the stores only receive 3 phones? They order small when it comes to BlackBerry. They don't want to get stuck with a lot of unsold phones like when they had the Z10s.
    02-11-16 05:59 PM
    I bought an AT&T Priv back when the device was first launched here in the USA and had it unlocked and was using it on T-Mobile US. I decided to buy a T-Mobile version since I have a business account there and I would get the official carrier updates rather then waiting on AT&T, T-Mobile seems to get them out quicker.

Now for my concerns, I have been to a couple of T-Mobile stores here in my area, both corporate and non corporate ones and neither of them have any sort of display showing off the new Blackberry Priv. They have the device mixed in with the Samsung Galaxy and older iPhone devices and the keyboard is actually locked into position where you can't really get the true feel of the device.

Another concern based on the feedback from the sales folks is they really like the device, but they feel it should be priced around 599.00 so folks would be more receptive to taking a chance on buying it. An example is the LG V10 with a Hexacore CPU, 64 gigs of memory, removable battery and a SD card slot is priced at 599.00 and is selling like hotcakes.

I for one feel maybe Blackberry should offer special pricing on T-Mobile and AT&T and price the Priv at 579.00 as a special promotion to get folks who might be on the fence to take a chance on buying one? I know it might take a little chunk out of their profit margin, but it would get folks here in the USA to look at the brand again. To be fair about this, this should also apply to our Canadian friends to the north. I may be off base here, but based on what I have seen here, I think it just might be good move. Just my two cents worth.
    I agree...my company pays 100% for my phone. If I had to pay out of my own pocket I would have gotten the V10. My coworker bought that phone and it is very nice.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-11-16 06:37 PM
    I agree...my company pays 100% for my phone. If I had to pay out of my own pocket I would have gotten the V10. My coworker bought that phone and it is very nice.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The v10 is similar but not really comparable to the BlackBerry. It is the only phone with a keyboard right now on android. Not only that, it is as thin as any other phone. Not only that, it has a 5.4" curved screen with qhd resolution and has a smaller physical size than an iphone 6+.

The v10 is just... boring. It's not a 'cool' device. It's a great device but it has no outstanding features beyond that second notification screen of sorts. Not sure how useful that is.
    02-11-16 07:18 PM
    As many have eluded to here, ad nausea, it doesn't appear that BlackBerry is even interested in the LEAST to sell their own devices.

If I owned a business, and was selling a product that had various products that competed with each other, I would push the one from the manufacturer/distributor that provides me the most support (sales/inventory/support etc) over a competitive product that has none of that. If I knew that the manufacturer of product "A" had my back if I accommodated a customer with a product concern, if needed, and product "B" was delivered to my store and otherwise forgotten, what do you think I would be recommending.

I suppose, in a way, TMo, Verizon and AT&T are BB customers, in a sense, just like we are, just one layer up on the food chain of product distribution. What this MAY tell me, to try to address your concern, if TMo feels that BB is a poor vendor, RELATIVE TO THE OTHERS, than, what should one expect. This is relative... if BB is "good" to TMo, and Brand "X" is AWESOME toward the vendor, then BB is sunk in the store out of the box.

Reminds me of TomTom. In every way a better nav device than all of their competitors (IMO only). However, their in-store support was extinct compared with Magellen and who ever the other "big" one was at the time. So, what did the store push. I actually had a sales guy tell me "we haven't seen a TomTom rep in 6 months to ask why we can't even get inventory or accessories. The Garmin guy is through here 3-4 times per month. If I call him, he's here tomorrow".

Of course, the TomToms were priced competitively with their competition.

Here, I assume, BB prices themselves "over the top" by a LOT, may have pi$$ poor vendor support, and we wonder why the stores don't push or seem to care about the device. THe only difference I see between the Priv and the Z10 is that the reps are actually saying "it's getting good reviews, and I think it's cool"..... appended by, "but very expensive". With the Z10 it was, like, "you want to buy what?---why would you do that?"

The mystery continues, You (BB) go thru all of this to offer a device, which, IMO, competes extremely well with the competition, then price it out of the market to a "pedestrian" buyer, ignore advertising/promotion/in store support and so forth, and expect results. Hmmmmm.

I believe it is Einstein that is credited with the definition of insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and exoecting a different result", which seems to define BB marketing and promotion of its self-proclaimed "do or die" product. Wouldn't be the first time a superior product fails for reasons other than its performance. Performance is probably less than half of the battle.

Just my $0.05.
    Cesare21 likes this.
    02-11-16 09:02 PM
    While that is probably true, its not about the current issue of this post. T-Mobile can decide to offer deals, sales or throw in free accessories IF they want to. (Look at their promotions to pay off ETFs. Those giveaways come out of their profit from monthly service.) They already have a profit built into the retail price of the phone, so they can occasionally offer a sale on phones ... but Chen cannot force T-Mo to sell the Priv for a certain price.

Don't you wonder why the stores only receive 3 phones? They order small when it comes to BlackBerry. They don't want to get stuck with a lot of unsold phones like when they had the Z10s.
    I don't disagree with what you say, only that I think some of these promotions come with the assistance of the manufacturers. They can negotiate with TMob or any carrier "is there something we can do that would help you aggressively market our Priv" I think they call it Coop marketing. BlackBerry doesn't seem to do a lot of that any more.
    02-12-16 08:06 AM

I get what you're saying, but if BlackBerry doesn't want to follow them, maybe they could try to sell a few Privs and maybe market them a bit? Not rely on word of mouth like BB10...

They don't want to follow in others footsteps, so they're following their own "successful" steps like BB10. It's borderline insanity.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 09:25 AM
    My thought is that instead of a carrier-related promotion, if BlackBerry had a postcard in each Priv /any other BB phone box... sort of a contest, mail in your PIN to BlackBerry... and gave away some cash, that might be a nice incentive. Some kind of idea like that. A few years back, they used to do BBM contests. That idea should be tried again.. but limit it to Priv phones only!
    02-12-16 03:04 PM
    The T-Mobile store by my house is a smaller corp owned one, and they have the Priv on display. I know the manger there and she said the Priv is a great phone but a lot of customers feel it's $150-$200 overpriced.

Then under the lease program at $34 per month for the Priv, you're in iPhone 6s Plus, Galaxy Edge + territory. Or for $9 per month cheaper you can get the LG V10 - which is a hell of a phone and easily one of the best cell phone cameras on the market.
    02-13-16 10:27 AM
    Supply and demand. Leave the price what it is. I don't go to the Mercedes dealer and complain when they won't won't sell me an AMG for the price of a C300
    If people want it they can pay for it, if it's too much they can buy used. I have a Classic I paid $299 for and honestly for me it's the best phone I have ever used. I don't need a phone just because it has an edge screen and frankly no one else does either. But if you want it and got the money go nuts.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 11:31 AM
    The T-Mobile store by my house is a smaller corp owned one, and they have the Priv on display. I know the manger there and she said the Priv is a great phone but a lot of customers feel it's $150-$200 overpriced.

Then under the lease program at $34 per month for the Priv, you're in iPhone 6s Plus, Galaxy Edge + territory. Or for $9 per month cheaper you can get the LG V10 - which is a hell of a phone and easily one of the best cell phone cameras on the market.
    As I have said before, make the device 579.00 so it will attract new buyers and not scare them away. Sorry but the Blackberry brand doesn't have the presence here it once had and if they expect to rebuild the brand here again, they better price their devices to sell.
    02-13-16 11:32 AM
    As I have said before, make the device 579.00 so it will attract new buyers and not scare them away. Sorry but the Blackberry brand doesn't have the presence here it once had and if they expect to rebuild the brand here again, they better price their devices to sell.
    Wait a second... didn't you pay $700 plus tax TWICE? BlackBerry has the right price, Eventually, it will lower, but gotta first get the people in who pay full price!!!!
    02-13-16 03:52 PM
    I paid full price and don't have any regrets. I think it was worth the price and would do it again. I paid 600 for the LG g3 and the priv is a much better phone.
    02-13-16 07:30 PM
    A follow up, I went into a T Mobile corporate store in Troy Michigan yesterday and asked about the new Priv and they don't even have a demo unit and no physical units to sell!!!

They told me they had a plastic dummy unit and could ship the device to me if I wanted one, WTF!!!

How can you expect folks to buy one from a newer store in a high traffic area if they don't even stock the device??They had plenty of iPhones and Galaxies in stock. Oh well.
    02-14-16 09:09 AM
33 12