Received a system update today in the UK on Vodafone, wasn't expecting it and I'm not entirely sure what it's for, I already have the 5th Aug security patch. Anyway, it has crippled the phone, several apps have stopped working and the hub was completely blank after restart so I restarted again and now the hub is showing me 100s of individual whatsapp messages one by one all showing as unread messages, plus a load of text messages all suddenly now showing with the whatsapp icon.
    Basically a total screw up. One too many for me so I'm moving back to the passport.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-16 05:33 PM
    That's horrible.
    Wait and see whether that's a disaster for updating or not .XS

Posted via the CrackBerry App for on Priv
    08-21-16 06:39 PM
    What's your current os build?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-21-16 07:39 PM
    I too just received the QuadRooter fix today. But my experience was less drastic than yours. First, my phone started in Safe Mode and it cleared a lot of Apps on my Homescreens. I restarted, no errors this time but the Apps are still missing on my Homescreens - first ever time that my Priv started in Safe Mode!
    08-21-16 07:51 PM
    Oh wow that seems like an more buggy sec hotfix than the original one from aug 15th, are you both on vodafone?
    08-22-16 02:35 AM
    I'm not in the UK though, I'm in Singapore. But telco shouldn't be an issue here. It's more of the update package itself, something might be wrong. (But I'm just guessing here)
    08-22-16 03:30 AM
    Someone pushed the wrong button? Screen shots, build numbers?
    08-22-16 03:48 AM
    That's strange.... Hopefully you can get it back...

08-22-16 04:43 AM
    Upgraded and restarted. Every update has been fine. Zero issues thus far.

Hard reset your phone and re-install everything. You have bad apps.
    08-22-16 04:45 AM
    I'll post the build and OS details when I get home for others who are concerned, but it's an unlocked handset from Dixons travel at Heathrow T5 with a Vodafone sim in it. It seemed strange at the time that the phone was taking far longer than usual to optimise apps as it was restarting (the bit where the android character shows on the black screen). This step took literally about 15mins

I restarted the phone again after creating this thread and then uninstalled and reinstalled the hub, which appears to have fixed it. I haven't tried the other apps yet because I ran back to the safety of the passport last night and the Priv is at home today. I just don't trust it fully yet even though I do like the phone and it is inevitable that it will become my daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-16 05:19 AM
    I just got the update. Not sure if I should update now or not.. Hmm..

08-22-16 08:10 AM
    I'll post the build and OS details when I get home for others who are concerned, but it's an unlocked handset from Dixons travel at Heathrow T5 with a Vodafone sim in it. It seemed strange at the time that the phone was taking far longer than usual to optimise apps as it was restarting (the bit where the android character shows on the black screen). This step took literally about 15mins

I restarted the phone again after creating this thread and then uninstalled and reinstalled the hub, which appears to have fixed it. I haven't tried the other apps yet because I ran back to the safety of the passport last night and the Priv is at home today. I just don't trust it fully yet even though I do like the phone and it is inevitable that it will become my daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like you haven't upgraded the hub in a long time. Make sure you connect to wifi often so the apps get updated.
    08-22-16 08:30 AM
    I've had no problems at all since receiving the update from EE a week ago

08-22-16 08:39 AM
    According to reports out there's a Blackberry Security update that's suppose to roll out today. Plus certain Nexus phones are suppose to get Android 7.0

Posted via the Priv for Android
    Attached Thumbnails System Update 21/08 UK-29406.jpg  
    08-22-16 09:35 AM
    Sounds like you haven't upgraded the hub in a long time. Make sure you connect to wifi often so the apps get updated.
    I do keep all apps updated at all times so this wouldn't explain it unfortunately, I think I must just have been unlucky and something went wrong with the restart following the installation.
    To be honest the performance of the phone tends to be fairly erratic anyway. Sometimes battery life is phenomenal, other times pretty dire, and certain app behaviours vary from week to week as well. I'm hesitant to have it replaced though because there are certain more common complaints from others that I haven't experienced, such as heating up and flickering screen etc. I'm realistic enough to know that there's no such thing as a totally glitch-free electronic device of any kind nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-16 09:51 AM
    Is it AAG111 or something else?
    08-22-16 03:25 PM
    No build nr, no more speculation.
    RRaburn likes this.
    08-22-16 03:30 PM
    Build number AAG111, Android version 6.0.1, Model Number STV100-4, Android security patch 5 August 2016, Vodafone UK sim in unlocked handset.
    Download size of the update was 132MB if I recall correctly

Posted via CB10
    RRaburn likes this.
    08-22-16 06:28 PM
    Build number AAG111, Android version 6.0.1, Model Number STV100-4, Android security patch 5 August 2016, Vodafone UK sim in unlocked handset.
    Download size of the update was 132MB if I recall correctly
    So that is the latest Quadrooter hotfixupdate from Aug 15th (displaying patch level 5th august is correct in this case). I haven't seen many reports with behaviour like this after an update, did you move apps to your SD before?
    08-23-16 02:35 AM
    I do keep all apps updated at all times so this wouldn't explain it unfortunately, I think I must just have been unlucky and something went wrong with the restart following the installation.
    To be honest the performance of the phone tends to be fairly erratic anyway. Sometimes battery life is phenomenal, other times pretty dire, and certain app behaviours vary from week to week as well. I'm hesitant to have it replaced though because there are certain more common complaints from others that I haven't experienced, such as heating up and flickering screen etc. I'm realistic enough to know that there's no such thing as a totally glitch-free electronic device of any kind nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    Hard reset the device and re-install everything. Do not allow Android to restore from backup. This will solve 99.9% of all problems.

Disable anything fancy like making the SD card an internal drive.
    This will solve 99.9% of any and all problems with devices like these.
    08-23-16 04:12 AM
    I hadn't moved any apps to SD card although I do choose the SD card as storage for things like Sky Go etc.
    So following everyone's advice (thank you) I took the SD card out, backed it up, reset the device and reinstalled everything, then added the SD card back in and loaded music and photos etc. back onto it.
    The upshot is that things seem to be working normally now. The only minor glitch was that some BBM messages showed briefly as text messages in the hub, but this corrected after I opened BBM the first time.

All in all very odd, but all's well that ends well. I hope nobody else has this issue!

gizmo21 likes this.
    08-23-16 04:42 AM
    I hadn't moved any apps to SD card although I do choose the SD card as storage for things like Sky Go etc.
    So following everyone's advice (thank you) I took the SD card out, backed it up, reset the device and reinstalled everything, then added the SD card back in and loaded music and photos etc. back onto it.
    The upshot is that things seem to be working normally now. The only minor glitch was that some BBM messages showed briefly as text messages in the hub, but this corrected after I opened BBM the first time.

All in all very odd, but all's well that ends well. I hope nobody else has this issue!

Good to hear that you're back up and running. You didn't need to clear the SD card though, only the device

This happens from time to time regardless of OS or device. I finally got my iPad fixed and let my wife set it up. When I got home the damn thing was so slow, to the point where typing wouldn't work right,

I asked her what she did and she had no idea. "I just installed some programs from the App store!". A hard reset later, the device was running as fast as my Priv.

A good rule of thumb I follow for all of my computers(PC/Mac) and mobile devices: wipe the device and rebuild it from scratch at least once a year. These pieces of crap are all flimsy and are one missed database or verison file away from slowness or worse.

I hate computers and I work in IT. Go figure
    08-23-16 06:11 AM
    Received a system update today in the UK on Vodafone, wasn't expecting it and I'm not entirely sure what it's for, I already have the 5th Aug security patch. Anyway, it has crippled the phone, several apps have stopped working and the hub was completely blank after restart so I restarted again and now the hub is showing me 100s of individual whatsapp messages one by one all showing as unread messages, plus a load of text messages all suddenly now showing with the whatsapp icon.
    Basically a total screw up. One too many for me so I'm moving back to the passport.

Posted via CB10
    That's BlackBerry's world class 'most secure' Android for you. They deliver patches so quickly that it cripples your device, making it completely invulnerable to threats by making it totally unusable. LAWL
    08-23-16 04:10 PM