Hi All,

So I took advantage of the price drop and grabbed a Priv.

From a switchover and setup point of view, a lot of my stuff will just sync from cloud services. Anything else I can transfer via the memory card.

From a setup point of view I'm sure I read something in the past to help avoid double notifications e.g hub and Gmail. So I was wondering if there is anything I need to know in this area? Is there a guide?

Lastly, I do appreciate that not everything in BB10 is available on the Priv such as file manager or video editing or the ability to "play on" - what do you suggest to plug the gaps?

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 06:30 PM
    I've never had a problem with double notifications, but then my Gmail account was setup in the Hub and I don't use the Gmail app although I got repeated prompts to setup new email accounts in it.

I think the Calendar app was updated to allow choosing a default account, but for Contacts you may need to still make the account you want new contacts to default to the first (or oldest account) in the Hub.

Solid Explorer is probably the closest thing to the BB10 File Manager but the ASUS File Manager is also popular and includes access to Windows shared files. I use Piktures as a photo gallery and Rocket Player for syncing to iTunes.
    12-05-16 06:41 PM
    Hi All,

So I took advantage of the price drop and grabbed a Priv.

From a switchover and setup point of view, a lot of my stuff will just sync from cloud services. Anything else I can transfer via the memory card.

From a setup point of view I'm sure I read something in the past to help avoid double notifications e.g hub and Gmail. So I was wondering if there is anything I need to know in this area? Is there a guide?

Lastly, I do appreciate that not everything in BB10 is available on the Priv such as file manager or video editing or the ability to "play on" - what do you suggest to plug the gaps?

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    File Manager: Solid Explorer
    Video Editor: Power Director

Are you asking about games when you say "play on?"
    12-05-16 06:44 PM
    From a switchover pov, I'd say download Content Transfer from Blackberry World. It will transfer whatever you've missed over to your Droid.

From a setup pov, the standard Android welcome guide will pretty much all the bases and like you said, you've already noted things like the double notifs. I would also say update your phone to the latest version before beginning and give it time to install all the latest apps. Your first week or so with the Priv won't be the best as it'll spend a lot of time syncing to your settings and updating apps. Expect substandard battery life. This will all improve once you're settled.

The latest Priv update has it's own file manager but there's many options to choose from in the Play store. I personally don't use a file manager as i can find most things through device search or access files in my SD card. There's an actual Video Editor app that you can download to handle your edits (but again there's loads of options) and same goes for the play on.

Personally, I think you're best going through the setup and experiencing things on your own. You pick up on things faster. You can then revisit CB if you get stuck.
    Last edited by Mikey_NNG; 12-05-16 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo
    12-05-16 06:47 PM
    Enjoy the new phone. You won't have any regrets.
    12-05-16 06:47 PM
    I mean when you are on BB10 and are watching a video you shot yourself. You have the option to play it back on your DLNA capable TV.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 07:07 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, with Google Play being so vast I didn't really want to spend the rest of my life searching for apps.

I'm keeping my Z30 and going to make the most of the 30day satisfaction guarantee.

Posted via CB10
    Wezard likes this.
    12-05-16 07:09 PM
    I mean when you are on BB10 and are watching a video you shot yourself. You have the option to play it back on your DLNA capable TV.

Posted via CB10
    There's no DLNA on the Priv. I bought a Chromecast and use the Google Cast app. Works for me.
    andy957 likes this.
    12-05-16 07:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    There is a CAST function under Main Settings, Display. I might have tested it but don't really recall. But it is showing my Samsung Smart TV.

I also think that on my TV, if I go to SOURCES, my Priv (oh, wait my Z30??) shows up.

Well, maybe I have not helped at all.

I switch between Solid and Asus for File Managers. I seem to like Pi for music but have BlackPlayer and PowerAmp.

You are right - too many choices and even after 8 months, I still select ONCE when I'm offered a choice of XYZ to open a Browser or a Picture Viewer or video player. I can't seem to narrow down my focus!!!
    misterabrasive likes this.
    12-05-16 08:52 PM
    The Cast function just showed a video of my sister tapping her way across my living room floor when she was up here visiting. She's probably Abrasive's age. But I digress (which is easier than digest)... cast works to my Samsung Smart TV on the same WiFi network.

edited to add: Is "casts" the entire Priv screen to the TV so you see your home pages, Settings pages and apps being executed - that's how I viewed the video of my sister. Since I was doing other things I did not play with it very much. To end it, you go to that Setting again, tap the TV and then Disconnect.
    Last edited by FF22; 12-05-16 at 10:05 PM.
    12-05-16 09:06 PM
    Thanks for that, yea DLNA is more streaming than screen casting. My TV doesn't support that

Posted via CB10
    12-06-16 02:40 AM
    One last thought, what about SD card content? Do I need to copy it all off and format to use in an android phone? E.g folder structures etc.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-16 04:59 AM
    One last thought, what about SD card content? Do I need to copy it all off and format to use in an android phone? E.g folder structures etc.

Posted via CB10
    No. Will work as normal.
    12-06-16 05:20 AM
    I just switched as well. Although from Z10 to iPhone 6S to Priv. It's been a week and I'm starting to get use to it. I really missed HUB. Probably the thing you will miss the most is swiping into HUB. The BlackBerry Launcher let's you swipe up and right and brings you right into HUB which is closest you can get. Also the productivity tab by swiping left is a nice feature although a lot say they don't use it.
    12-06-16 06:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    As mentioned, it will probably work. The OS will create any new folders it needs. You might have to merely move some docs or photos or music around a bit. But as the Z10/Z30 supported Android, most likely everything is already in place.

One piece of advice, it is always safe to make copies of critical stuff in any event.
    12-06-16 09:32 AM
    Thanks for that, yea DLNA is more streaming than screen casting. My TV doesn't support that
    It's all the same basic technology. Google's Chromecast dongle uses DLNA to "cast" and image from your device to your TV screen.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-06-16 10:19 AM
    I just switched as well. Although from Z10 to iPhone 6S to Priv. It's been a week and I'm starting to get use to it. I really missed HUB. Probably the thing you will miss the most is swiping into HUB. The BlackBerry Launcher let's you swipe up and right and brings you right into HUB which is closest you can get. Also the productivity tab by swiping left is a nice feature although a lot say they don't use it.
    I don't want to assume you dont know this, but holding down the home button brings up three options, one of which is the hub, if you set the hub to be the option on your right it's a very similar action to swiping up and to the right to get the hub. Just a thought in case you didn't know . . It takes a little practice but it's very close
    FF22 likes this.
    12-06-16 10:48 AM
    I switched over about a month ago. Takes some getting used to the differences but you won't regret it. Blackberry did a nice job bringing the BB10 experience to Android.
    FF22 and newcollector like this.
    12-06-16 11:36 AM
    It's all the same basic technology. Google's Chromecast dongle uses DLNA to "cast" and image from your device to your TV screen.
    My Samsung Tablet seems to do both. It can mirror the Tablet's screen, showing icons and scrolling or it can just send a video over while I'm watching it but does not show any of the scrolling or control icons. What is CASTING and what is STREAMING??? I certainly don't know.

I did watch another video a bit later to follow up. It did seem a bit more choppy, particularly the audio signal.
    12-06-16 12:37 PM
    My Samsung Tablet seems to do both. It can mirror the Tablet's screen, showing icons and scrolling or it can just send a video over while I'm watching it but does not show any of the scrolling or control icons. What is CASTING and what is STREAMING??? I certainly don't know.

I did watch another video a bit later to follow up. It did seem a bit more choppy, particularly the audio signal.
    Like a lot of technical terms casting and streaming are sometimes used to mean the same thing. When you watch a live event over the internet, you are streaming it from web to your device. The term is also used when cable boxes are used to stream content to portable devices.

When you send a copy of your device screen to your TV (or through a box) either with Googles Chromecast dongle, Miracast, or DLNA that would be casting your device image to your box/TV.

When I cast a video (either local or from the internet) from my DTEK50 through my Chromecast dongle to my TV, I first choose "Cast screen / audio" from the Chromecast Home app. Then whatever is on my DTEK50 screen is mirrored on my TV.

I can also go the other way and play video on my DTEK50 from a local network source using the VLC Player.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 12-06-16 at 03:37 PM.
    12-06-16 02:13 PM
    Well first let down of the day, 2 of my 4 email accounts refuse to register in the hub for Android.

They add flawlessly in BB10.

Sigh.

It's going to be a long week getting used to this.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-16 02:37 PM
    Well first let down of the day, 2 of my 4 email accounts refuse to register in the hub for Android.

They add flawlessly in BB10.

Sigh.

It's going to be a long week getting used to this.

Posted via CB10
    If there domains are not private or proprietary, you might share them and maybe folks can provide suggestions.

It will take some getting use to - for sure.
    12-06-16 03:01 PM
    Yahoo was one

Posted via CB10
    12-06-16 03:18 PM
    Yahoo was one

Posted via CB10
    Did you get it to work? I've got a Yahoo. I don't fully recall but do they have one of those two-step authentication methods if you set it up that way?
    12-06-16 05:43 PM
    Yahoo was one
    You're not the only one to have this problem. I think with Yahoo and perhaps others, while what you had setup before may have worked, they may have made changes that affect new setups.

I suggest you look up the account settings for Yahoo and make sure you're using the current sever names and port numbers.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-06-16 06:45 PM
48 12