I'm going to be biking a lot this summer and was just wondering if constant direct sunlight on an amoled screen would be bad for it? I had the HTC m9 which is lcd, and I didn't have any issues, but, I was wondering about amoled because it's different technology.

Basically, while biking the screen would be constantly on and facing the sunlight.

I know amoled screens can burn in, what I'm talking about is whether or not heat or the sunlight itself would damage it from long exposure.
    03-07-16 09:30 AM
    I don't know about the priv. But I had a samsung note 3 before and it was running fine..only problem is that AMOLED screen shows almost nothing under sunlight..at least with my note 3. I see things clearly with my Passport. No idea about the Priv.

Mia San Mia!
    03-07-16 10:09 AM
    The Priv is "ok" under direct sunlight. Not great, but reasonable. The Passport does better, but the Passport is IPS.

The problem with AMOLED is that the drive levels required to provide sunlight-readable displays might damage the display, especially when under direct solar heating as well. More drive, more heat -- and while this is true for IPS too with the backlight the heating there is indirect and can be heatsinked off from the backlight, where with AMOLED it's in the pixels themselves.

I would have preferred IPS in the Priv but we got AMOLED, and it is what it is.
    03-07-16 10:24 AM
    I'm going to be biking a lot this summer and was just wondering if constant direct sunlight on an amoled screen would be bad for it? I had the HTC m9 which is lcd, and I didn't have any issues, but, I was wondering about amoled because it's different technology.

Basically, while biking the screen would be constantly on and facing the sunlight.

I know amoled screens can burn in, what I'm talking about is whether or not heat or the sunlight itself would damage it from long exposure.
    Sounds like you are probably using an arm band to hold the phone. Can't you just turn it around to face the inside of your arm? I've never used one so I don't know how they actually fit, but perhaps that would be a possibility.

Posted from my Verizon Z10 10.3.2.858
    03-07-16 10:28 AM
    Sounds like you are probably using an arm band to hold the phone. Can't you just turn it around to face the inside of your arm? I've never used one so I don't know how they actually fit, but perhaps that would be a possibility.

Or on the handlebars as a navigation device with mapping and turn-by-turn directions.
    03-07-16 12:52 PM
    Or on the handlebars as a navigation device with mapping and turn-by-turn directions.
    Yeah. This one. And I play music.
    03-07-16 12:59 PM
    Haha! I guess you can tell who the bikers are and who are not. Lol.

FF22 likes this.
    03-07-16 01:28 PM
    Yeah. This one. And I play music.
    I've always been reluctant to put my phone there, so I stop a lot and pull it out. I did have a garmin gps up there at one time. Too much bulk with the adapter and ball socket, etc.
    03-07-16 01:32 PM
    Haha! I guess you can tell who the bikers are and who are not. Lol.

Yes, I had a feeling your COMPLETELY overlooked that possibility. And I wish you'd get out there and put in those rubber "mats" at railroad crossings to make the crossing smoother and safer!!!
    03-07-16 01:35 PM
    Yes, I had a feeling your COMPLETELY overlooked that possibility. And I wish you'd get out there and put in those rubber "mats" at railroad crossings to make the crossing smoother and safer!!!
    I'll be there "soon" to take care of that for you!

FF22 likes this.
    03-07-16 01:39 PM
    Any idea where they do put those? Is that a local jurisdiction issue?
    03-07-16 01:47 PM
    Any idea where they do put those? Is that a local jurisdiction issue?
    City or States DOT has to work with the railroad. Probably a cost issue. More expensive to install but cheaper to maintain.

FF22 likes this.
    03-07-16 01:57 PM