Here is some ballsy review from Total Tech. Not in store of course. Hope it helps on some question others may have.]
    Wish he would cut the language and his fingernails. Lol
    11-08-15 08:58 PM
    Wish he would cut the language and his fingernails. Lol
    The homophobia turns me off... this is the internet though, so I guess it's to be expected, but it doesn't support the notion that he, as a reviewer, has the intellect to really assess the device. Casual profanity, that's a choice: casual homophobia? I get "I'm not that bright" from that. It's like people who say "I could care less". Trying to be dismissive but either not careful enough to know what it is the words they say actually mean, or too stupid to understand what the words are SUPPOSED to mean.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 11-09-15 at 03:02 PM.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-09-15 02:42 PM
    In view of the controversy over the Priv vs the Passport, and my own previously negative views of the Priv, expressed here and elsewhere on CB, I decided to return to the scene of the crime, my local AT&T Store, where I think they're beginning to wonder about me....

I spent fully 30 minutes with the Priv, fighting the automatic return to demo mode on the store model which I couldn't figure out how to disable. I kept in mind that there is an Android learning curve for people like me, and that that is not any fault of the Priv. I also have learned from posts here in CB and from that Total Tech guy's hilarious presentation that once all the apps have been updated, as they seemed to be on this demo phone, things would run a lot smoother. I also decided that the keyboard, while small, did have a nice touch to it, and once you got used to the size and the alt key and all that, even coming from the Passport, it wouldn't be so bad. And the BlackBerry virtual keyboard Android app will be available to use on this phone, although it wasn't installed on the demo phone.

Let me say that my impression of the Priv this time was more favorable than it was the first time. The screen is bright and beautiful, and the resolution and crispness of the lettering in comparison with the Passport was very impressive. I thought the build was fine--maybe not like the Passport construction, but certainly OK. I won't repeat everything else that's been said here about the comparison between the PP and the Priv in terms of Android vs OS 10, multitasking, the Hub, the availability of all the Google Play apps, etc. The PP and the Priv are just two different devices, and that has to be accepted.

So, I asked myself three questions. First, if I could have (that is, easily afford) two phones, would I like to have the Priv, too, and the answer is yes. Second, if I could only have one phone, but would have to pay about $750 US to get the Priv and then sell the SE Passport used, say, for $400 US, making the Priv effectively a $350 upgrade, the answer is no. Third, if I were starting from scratch, and had to decide between the SE Passport new at about $500 and the Priv at about $750, I still can't decide. I'm afraid that BlackBerry OS 10 is approaching EOL, meaning that investing in a new OS 10 device at this point may not make sense, especially if one isn't already used to a phone like the SE and to OS 10. BlackBerry is going to take this Android phone with its physical keyboard and run with it, dropping everything else, and there's no way to fight that.

I hope that is a fair reassessment of the Priv vs the SE. As they say in the transcript of legal depositions, further deponent sayeth naught. Of course, by that time the deponent has generally been reduced to a bowl of quivering jelly.
    anon(679606) likes this.
    11-09-15 05:58 PM
    The homophobia turns me off... this is the internet though, so I guess it's to be expected, but it doesn't support the notion that he, as a reviewer, has the intellect to really assess the device. Casual profanity, that's a choice: casual homophobia? I get "I'm not that bright" from that. It's like people who say "I could care less". Trying to be dismissive but either not careful enough to know what it is the words they say actually mean, or too stupid to understand what the words are SUPPOSED to mean.
    Sorry where is the homophobia? I'm confused.
    11-09-15 07:06 PM
    Nice...

In view of the controversy over the Priv vs the Passport, and my own previously negative views of the Priv, expressed here and elsewhere on CB, I decided to return to the scene of the crime, my local AT&T Store, where I think they're beginning to wonder about me....

I spent fully 30 minutes with the Priv, fighting the automatic return to demo mode on the store model which I couldn't figure out how to disable. I kept in mind that there is an Android learning curve for people like me, and that that is not any fault of the Priv. I also have learned from posts here in CB and from that Total Tech guy's hilarious presentation that once all the apps have been updated, as they seemed to be on this demo phone, things would run a lot smoother. I also decided that the keyboard, while small, did have a nice touch to it, and once you got used to the size and the alt key and all that, even coming from the Passport, it wouldn't be so bad. And the BlackBerry virtual keyboard Android app will be available to use on this phone, although it wasn't installed on the demo phone.

Let me say that my impression of the Priv this time was more favorable than it was the first time. The screen is bright and beautiful, and the resolution and crispness of the lettering in comparison with the Passport was very impressive. I thought the build was fine--maybe not like the Passport construction, but certainly OK. I won't repeat everything else that's been said here about the comparison between the PP and the Priv in terms of Android vs OS 10, multitasking, the Hub, the availability of all the Google Play apps, etc. The PP and the Priv are just two different devices, and that has to be accepted.

So, I asked myself three questions. First, if I could have (that is, easily afford) two phones, would I like to have the Priv, too, and the answer is yes. Second, if I could only have one phone, but would have to pay about $750 US to get the Priv and then sell the SE Passport used, say, for $400 US, making the Priv effectively a $350 upgrade, the answer is no. Third, if I were starting from scratch, and had to decide between the SE Passport new at about $500 and the Priv at about $750, I still can't decide. I'm afraid that BlackBerry OS 10 is approaching EOL, meaning that investing in a new OS 10 device at this point may not make sense, especially if one isn't already used to a phone like the SE and to OS 10. BlackBerry is going to take this Android phone with its physical keyboard and run with it, dropping everything else, and there's no way to fight that.

I hope that is a fair reassessment of the Priv vs the SE. As they say in the transcript of legal depositions, further deponent sayeth naught. Of course, by that time the deponent has generally been reduced to a bowl of quivering jelly.
    11-09-15 07:23 PM
    It's nothing you said... it's what was in the video: I should also clarify that it's not just homophobic, it's also misogynistic. And stupid.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-09-15 10:18 PM
    Priv is worth every penny. Apps, BlackBerry Experience, PKB, VKB , best of Android and amazing hardware specs. Very happy with phone!!

posted from my Priv!
    11-09-15 10:23 PM
    After having the priv for 3 days I'm getting more and more use to the pkb. You're not going to get use to it st the freakin att store.
    11-09-15 10:25 PM
    I went back to try the Priv for one single reason: the keyboard.

It has been said elsewhere that when you try to device at a carrier store and it is completely locked down with a "tire boot", the feel of the device for typing is impaired... setting that aside what I was most interested in is whether they had improved the capacitive keyboard over the Passport.

They haven't. Suggesting the capacitive keyboard is an adequate substitute for the trackpad is so completely wrong anyone suggesting immediately gets the label "delusional fanboy" I'm my opinion.

First, double tapping to toggle the insert point is incredibly inconsistent. Often a double tap does nothing: the little insertion point sits there, unchanged.

To move the insertion point, I had to swipe the full height of the keyboard repeatedly to move the insertion point a view lines of text. Precision wasn't too difficult then swiping the full width of the keyboard only moved the insertion point a few characters.

And still to select you have to HOLD the shift key down. If the touch of the keyboard was more sensitive, that would not be so Awkward, but with the shift key being at the very bottom of the device, it is awkward to hold the device while holding shift and swimming upstream trying to select text.

If anyone who has a Priv and an urge to show their mad capacitive keyboard skills wants to make a video and show how you can achieve the desired results in navigating around text blocks and selecting / cutting / pasting with anything a casual observer would call 'efficiency', I'll send you $10 on PayPal if you can make a compelling case that the touch keyboard adequately serves the role the trackpad did on the Torch.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and Techno-guy like this.
    11-10-15 08:17 AM

Beautifully said. I'd say I'm in the same boat

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    11-10-15 09:28 AM
    I guess the homophobia went over my head. I didn't hear any either.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    11-10-15 11:10 AM
    This article in Infoworld gives me no pleasure to post , but I'm afraid they're correct.

I posted yesterday about my second visit to my local AT&T Store in what is a pretty high end suburb outside of Chicago. I didn't mention that no one was looking at the Priv or Classic, and they still had two Privs left in stock.

BlackBerry may be on life support.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/300...lackberry.html

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and Techno-guy like this.
    11-10-15 12:24 PM
    This article in Infoworld gives me no pleasure to post , but I'm afraid they're correct.

I posted yesterday about my second visit to my local AT&T Store in what is a pretty high end suburb outside of Chicago. I didn't mention that no one was looking at the Priv or Classic, and they still had two Privs left in stock.

Let us now finally bury the BlackBerry | InfoWorld

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure the Forum will jump all over the article, but it's actually a pretty good summary of the vast bulk of the reviews about the Priv. I wish it weren't so. I want the Priv to do well because I want Blackberry to stay in the hardware business and I'm going to rock my BB10 devices as long as I can.

We will know soon enough with actual sales figures, but I'm not confident the broad market will adopt a very expensive phone sold on only a limited number of carriers with mid-grade specs (3GB RAM, not flagship leading 4GB), Snapdragon 808 not 810 (and slow at that, compare with the iPhone 6s which runs processor scores nearly 50% faster), very poor front camera, Lollipop not Marshmallow, no fingerprint scanner, etc.) plus a very cramped and small keyboard to boot which is being compared to that great seller, the Torch.

To me, the keyboard was the secret weapon of the Priv and it just isn't going to get a second look from all but the truly faithful because it's nowhere near the industry leading, fantastic keyboards that Blackberry has built historically.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-10-15 12:44 PM
    As for the infoworld article, it sure is superficial & one sided.

Further, as a Passport user, BlackBerry temporarily "solved" the lack of bb10 apps with the android runtime which has not been updated & thus was a short lived mitigation by design... now they will walk away from bb10 rather than to have paid (bribed) android developers of most wanted apps to port to bb10. Instead, they tore down the whole house.

The management is a disaster & may well be criminally negligent.

Will bb10 wind up on our dishwasher?

Let us now finally bury the BlackBerry | InfoWorld

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    11-10-15 12:58 PM
    Here in Oklahoma you have to wait to get a BlackBerry Priv because Att sells them fast here. I always ask my friend that works at one att store and my cousin works at another and they both told me they sell very well. When I bought mine there was 2 people buying the Priv also. When I told them I wanted the Priv Karla said she'd have to look in the back because she wasn't sure if there were any left because they were selling fast. Thus was 1 months ago. Hope it's still going well
    05-01-16 06:51 PM
    I went into the local AT&T store recently just for giggles and asked about the PRIV. The girl didn't even know what it was. I just smiled and left.
    andy957 likes this.
    05-01-16 06:57 PM
    I went into the local AT&T store recently just for giggles and asked about the PRIV. The girl didn't even know what it was. I just smiled and left.
    That's terrible.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my BlackBerry Priv �
    Sparksx likes this.
    05-01-16 07:47 PM
    But, is it typical?

That's terrible.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my BlackBerry Priv ™
    05-01-16 08:05 PM
118 ... 345