Hello,

I'm having battery & overheating issues (see battery advice please - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com) and plan to do a backup/wipe/reinstall.

Can someone advise the best way to do the back up? I'm particularly concerned about loosing contacts.

Also, I've turned various accounts syncing to off (in an attempt to fix my battery drain issues) so I guess I need to turn these on again to ensure data isnt lost?

Is there any way to back the device up by plugging into a PC, like the old fashioned way? Not too keen on cloud storage really.

Thanks in anticipation

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-08-16 04:10 AM
    To back-up your Contacts, open the app, select more options, Import/Export - for me i selected Export to Storage. Search for the file then save it elsewhere.

Then proceed to Erase the Device. Once it has been restored to factory defaults, login to your Google account and it will update your apps - some apps you'll need to manually download them from your 'All' apps list

Load the contacts file back into your device, open it using Contacts app.

02-08-16 05:45 AM
    Thanks. One question though.

My contacts are presently a mixture of 'local' and some on an AOL account and some on a MS exchange account.

Is there a way that when I reimport them I can opt for all to be local? Or does it remember what relates to what account?

02-08-16 05:53 AM
    Hhhmmm....i haven't tried such scenario. However i have a few contacts coming from Skype. What i did was combine them to my existing local contacts and then perform the export. So far they're all there.

02-08-16 06:10 AM
    Thought everyone would like to know what I lost in following your advice to do a wipe and reinstall:

Screenshots taken Nov 2015 to Feb 2016
    All WiFi settings
    All account settings (ie email accounts. LinkedIn, etc etc)
    All text messages (though my pre Nov ones will still be on my PC backup from my BlackBerry passport I expect)

I'm not blaming anyone for the above, just saying that someone from the crackberry team needs to write an article to tell people all the manual steps that need to be done in order to achieve the same level of back up that BB10 did just by plugging into a PC for ten minutes.

Oh, and battery life is still crap (the wipe was done nearly 24 hours ago, minimal apps installed, and no accounts and no contacts have yet been installed. Screen setting on the dimmest.

Attached Thumbnails steps to do a wipe and reinstall-28451.jpg  
    02-14-16 02:40 AM
    Thought everyone would like to know what I lost in following your advice to do a wipe and reinstall:

Screenshots taken Nov 2015 to Feb 2016
    All WiFi settings
    All account settings (ie email accounts. LinkedIn, etc etc)
    All text messages (though my pre Nov ones will still be on my PC backup from my BlackBerry passport I expect)

I'm not blaming anyone for the above,

Uuuhhhh yeah....we were specifically talking about backing up Contacts only - and not the rest of your settings, accounts etc.

02-14-16 02:54 AM
    Uuuhhhh yeah....we were specifically talking about backing up Contacts only - and not the rest of your settings, accounts etc.

With respect, my question related to backing up the whole device.

Had someone spelt out to me that I would loose a whole load of stuff, I would have acted differently.

02-14-16 05:45 AM
    Give the device a bit of time to sort through things. I've done exactly as you have and the difference it made was huge. After the device was wiped did you use content transfer? If so, I'd start over before you go too far into setting it up again.

02-14-16 09:49 AM
    With respect, my question related to backing up the whole device.

Had someone spelt out to me that I would loose a whole load of stuff, I would have acted differently.

If you would read my original answer, i specifically mentioned 'To back-up contacts'...maybe a follow-up question for the other stuff would be a better course of action?

Last edited by karloil; 02-15-16 at 02:59 AM.
    02-14-16 06:28 PM