Is it sufficient to perform a backup of an entire 200gb card or would it be better to use a cable to computer, or pull the card & put it in laptop card reader...

I ask because I have a Lenovo f800 self contained 1tb battery operated drive with WiFi (that would be slow) and microUSB... with the OTG I believe the Priv would "see" that drive and do data to & from it..

... comments?
    02-19-17 12:29 PM
    I don't know enough about the various usb standards. USB3 is supposedly pretty fast. Does the Priv support it? I think pulling the card and reading it directly to a computer might be faster but again, it might depend on what usb type the computer has. But if nothing else the phone is not tied to the computer during what could be a long backup process if you only pull the card.
    02-19-17 01:15 PM
    Is it sufficient to perform a backup of an entire 200gb card or would it be better to use a cable to computer, or pull the card & put it in laptop card reader...

I ask because I have a Lenovo f800 self contained 1tb battery operated drive with WiFi (that would be slow) and microUSB... with the OTG I believe the Priv would "see" that drive and do data to & from it..

... comments?
    Well in that case it might be plausible even though i haven't tried that yet. But that's the main point of using the OTG, to save you from the hassle of unmounting and remounting your SD card and to have a faster data transfer rate.
    02-19-17 05:20 PM
    If I'm remembering the specs properly, the Priv doesn't support USB 3.0.
    Simply because of the USB speed the backup would probably take several hours (either using OTG, or cable to computer).
    If you've got a USB 3.0 card reader for your computer then that would be the fastest method.
    The 200GB cards are not particularly fast either, so I'm not sure of how much of a speed boost you would actually achieve.
    02-19-17 05:56 PM
    Great... does anyone have any data recovery,: transmission speed via the several connections? it's a big card well over half full...
    02-19-17 05:57 PM
    SDXC Sandisk 197gb physical layer version 3.0 and I do have a USB 3.0 adapter & my laptop has USB 3.0 ports so I guess that is the way to go...

That said, the lenovo f800 physical port is USB 3.0 although you point out the full speed benefit of that may not be supported by the card itself...

I don't want to risk the card, te data, and the Priv port which gets reported as having troubles by some on CB...

I would just do it overnight so te phone would be back for morning coffee...

Thoughts anyone?
    02-19-17 07:46 PM
    Don't be surprised that transferring 100GB takes much longer than overnight through OTG. I would also worry about the reliability of OTG as it is run on the phone with limited resources. On my BB10 device, OTG has once corrupted the designation drive by wiping out the FAT after transferring 4GB. I think using the computer is safer. If you don't want to remove the SD card from the phone, plug the phone to the computer and copy the SD to your backup drive.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-20-17 10:14 AM
    I found taking SD card out and connecting directly to lap top via some sort of USB SD card reader to be much much faster then connecting Priv directly via USB. The difference is huge. At least it was for me.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-20-17 10:34 AM
    I think part of the problem may actually be software. MTP and PTP seem to be much slower than Mass Storage used be (before they removed the option).
    If this is actually true, then moving the card to the computer is probably much faster. You may even find OTG to be faster than USB to computer (if you ever test this please let us know the results).
    If you do move the card to the computer, remember to tell the Android OS that you are about to remove the card.
    If you plan on backing up frequently this may not be a great idea. The Priv card slot isn't really designed for frequent use. I wouldn't be surprised if taking it out every day would eventually cause the plastic tray to break.
    FF22 and Mirko935 like this.
    02-20-17 12:06 PM
    Seeing others complain about card slot misery, I am loath to remove the card at all... I may try OTG to the battery operated external drive... are there USB 3 compliant OTG cables?I have an OTG cable splitting to allow simultaneous charging... dunno the rating of the cable though...
    02-20-17 12:10 PM
    Seeing others complain about card slot misery, I am loath to remove the card at all... I may try OTG to the battery operated external drive... are there USB 3 compliant OTG cables?
    I'm not sure.
    I just double checked the specs, and the Priv is definitely only 2.0 compliant. That's not to say there isn't any variation between cables, but probably not worth putting much thought into it.
    02-20-17 12:13 PM

If you do move the card to the computer, remember to tell the Android OS that you are about to remove the card.
    Is it there to unmount the card (symbol on the right)?
    Attached Thumbnails speed of data via OTG-383112.jpg  
    02-20-17 12:16 PM
    Probably. If that doesn't work then click through to the SD card and the option should show up with a full text description either at the bottom of the page or in the three dots menu.
    02-20-17 12:20 PM
    I could never get OTG to work on my Priv. I just take the SD card out and use a reader to backup things.
    02-20-17 02:23 PM
    Yes, it is. And you don't have to remove/insert card again to remount. You can hit whatever symbol to remount.
    02-20-17 02:53 PM
    Seeing others complain about card slot misery, I am loath to remove the card at all... I may try OTG to the battery operated external drive... are there USB 3 compliant OTG cables?I have an OTG cable splitting to allow simultaneous charging... dunno the rating of the cable though...
    I guess it cuts costs but I hate the sim and sdcard slots on the Priv (and I guess other devices). Even if they are not fragile they look it. And inserting the card into the tray is fidgety.
    02-20-17 02:55 PM
    I guess it cuts costs but I hate the sim and sdcard slots on the Priv (and I guess other devices). Even if they are not fragile they look it. And inserting the card into the tray is fidgety.
    I too find those trays flimsy and hard to release... card needs a lot of fiddled Ling to seat in tray... Passport trays were superb; cover is however flimsy...pfft

Posted via CB10
    05-18-17 04:08 PM
    Hey F2, do you know what the card slots are like on k1 ?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-17 04:10 PM
    Hey F2, do you know what the card slots are like on k1 ?

Posted via CB10
    There's a picture I saw somewhere. It is ONE slot with a dual purpose. Don't recall the order but both cards fit in the one tray.

Just captured from manual:

speed of data via OTG-sdcard.jpg

speed of data via OTG-sim.jpg
    05-18-17 07:15 PM