Seeing that Blackberry now has a partnership with samsung, I would bet pretty strong that this screen will be the exact same screen that the Samsung S6 Edge has, they will just borrow it. So i bet it will be the 5.1-inch AMOLED display @ 1440 x 2560
    It would make more sense to go with 1440p than 1080p for sure. Since there's already one other device at that resolution.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 11:57 AM
    Why are all the new phones going with the non removable battery? It's annoying to not have that battery pull option

Posted via CB10
    You don't need to battery pull with BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    03-31-15 11:57 AM
    It would be interesting to grasp the necessity of such a processor..... as far as I understand it, 64bit will ne just necessary when more than 4 GB of ram are to be used....

As long as there will be apps utilising it properly, I don't see the point as of yet....

And I am quite curious what apps would require it on a mobile device....

Eight cores will help with multitasking, but I am unsure how to use them on a single screen / mobile device....

If someone can give me a probable use case, I would be grateful.
    Until then, the whole spec war is moot for me as long as it doesn�t include games
    A HUGE advantage of switching to 64-bit is being able to address more than 4gb of RAM. But it is not the only advantage. A new 64-bit processor will likely have an all-new instruction set, increased number of registers, wider registers, and more memory bandwidth. It should be able to execute instructions much faster, regardless of RAM, as long as the software is optimized.

This is why, despite everyone crying "64-bit only matters with more than 4gb of RAM!" and "it's just a gimmick!" at the time, the 64-bit A7 Apple released in 2013 absolutely monstered benchmarks, despite being a small dual core on 1gb of RAM.

The only problem I see is that BB10 apps would have to be updated to take advantage of the 64-bit, and how many BB10 apps do you think will actually be updated? And on what time frame? We all know that most devs won't lift a finger for BB10, and that many devs who do code for BB10 are hobby-level, not advanced organisations. And even assuming they agreed to try to do it, could the BB10 developer community even get a mass app conversion to 64-bit accomplished? Hmmm, I've got my doubts...
    ^^^

Logically speaking the Exynos is not optimized for BlackBerry 10. Qualcomms are

Posted via CB10
    BB10 isn't optimized for 64-bit, regardless of who makes the chipset. BB10 and all native apps would need to be overhauled to take advantage of switching to 64-bit. Being a Qualcomm chip isn't going to make BB10 a 64-bit OS.
    03-31-15 01:43 PM
    Bbry will just convert one pixel into 4 and treat it as 720x1280.

Posted via CB10
    But since the specsheet will say 1440 x 2560, I bet people even looking at 720x1280, would say the screen is incredible and much sharper than even a 1080p display. Sad but true.
    03-31-15 03:16 PM
    Logically speaking the Exynos is not optimized for BlackBerry 10. Qualcomms are

Posted via CB10

You're stating the obvious. I prefer to look at the non-obvious for a differentiator. Think outside the box man lol. Samsung wants Exynos out there in devices OTHER than their own and right now they don't have that. If BlackBerry is working closely with Samsung, who's to say it's only for their display technology? If Samsung took BB10 in-house and made it work with Exynos it would be a stepping stone to broadening their own work and helping BlackBerry.

Plus, if that was indeed the case, BlackBerry wouldn't incur as much development costs as Samsung has a much broader team and an added bonus to that is that it would be less likely to fully leak. No one would be looking for BlackBerry stuff in Samsung's house. I've said it multiple times now on BerryFlow Upstream and in other posts, I have no idea if any if this is true. I could be dead wrong and that's fine.

But it makes a more interesting and compelling hardware story than 'just another BlackBerry 10 device except with a curve Samsung display'. That story is boring and tired. Heck even if it does run an QC 810, it's still somewhat of a tired story because by the time it releases there will be even more Android devices running it. The specs for the Slider can pretty much be guessed at this point because it's all standard fare for the moment. They were pretty much laid out LAST YEAR. They just got dumbed down and what we got was the Passport.

A BlackBerry device with a curved Samsung display that runs Exynos is a different thing altogether and might make people think twice.
    03-31-15 04:10 PM

A BlackBerry device with a curved Samsung display that runs Exynos is a different thing altogether and might make people think twice.
    I settle for people thinking once lol.

Thanks for the view point, I hadn't thought it out until now.
    bigjman likes this.
    03-31-15 07:30 PM
    It will be Snapdragon S4 dual core

Z10 LE 10.2.2.1609
    04-02-15 12:54 AM
    It's actually going to be the size of a Playstation and use some 200 MHZ Pentium II processors that blackberry found in a custodial closet.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 04:22 PM
    It better not be more than a dual core device. Single, even better.

The logic I've read from some is that multiple cores is the sign of an inefficient OS.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-02-15 04:35 PM
    Seeing that Blackberry now has a partnership with samsung, I would bet pretty strong that this screen will be the exact same screen that the Samsung S6 Edge has, they will just borrow it. So i bet it will be the 5.1-inch AMOLED display @ 1440 x 2560
    If BlackBerry pays for the parts, they can use the screen I'm sure. Like anyone else, if it's available to be bought.
    04-02-15 04:37 PM

The logic I've read from some is that multiple cores is the sign of an inefficient OS.
    Lol, must be a slow day.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    04-02-15 04:38 PM
    Lol, must be a slow day.
    All the better to enjoy conversation.
    04-02-15 04:45 PM

If that's what people think, they are uneducated on the subject. Eight cores may be overkill. But 2 definitely is not. And four is probably all that is really needed in most extreme cases.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 06:17 PM
    If that's what people think, they are uneducated on the subject. Eight cores may be overkill. But 2 definitely is not. And four is probably all that is really needed in most extreme cases.

Posted via CB10
    As far as I know the current implementation of "8 cores" on ARM is one big mean fast quad core processor for heavy work and one slower but power-efficient quad core processor for idle/light work.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    04-02-15 06:41 PM
    All the better to enjoy conversation.
    This particular topic is a bit over my head to be honest. I'll stick to code, query and other software thoughts.

And every now and then psychology of human action.
    04-02-15 09:19 PM
    As far as I know the current implementation of "8 cores" on ARM is one big mean fast quad core processor for heavy work and one slower but power-efficient quad core processor for idle/light work.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if this is possible or not, but maybe just maybe.

BlackBerry could use that "big mean quad core" processor for normal usage and then use the "slower quad core" one for when the device is in "power saving mode"

Just a thought.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    04-03-15 03:33 AM
    A real full touch has never had real modern specs, z10 launched witha year old specs, z30 launched with two year old specs. Obviously it wasn't slow at the time but it's like buying a computer, you're not paying for something super fast now, you're paying for the longevity of it. A full touch has been way over due. Though I do like this slider idea, the moment a real full touch comes out I'll jump over.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 03:51 AM
    Not sure if this is possible or not, but maybe just maybe.

BlackBerry could use that "big mean quad core" processor for normal usage and then use the "slower quad core" one for when the device is in "power saving mode"

Just a thought.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2576
    Yeah, that's the point of big.LITTLE. Although I don't know how MSM8994 handles switching between the two sets of cores.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 12:06 PM
    Legacy Devices
    � Q5 - Q10 - Classic - Passport (4 qwerty)
    � Z3 - Z10 - Z30 - Leap (4 touch)

New Era Devices
    Porsche Design P'9984 (64bit)
    BlackBerry "Slider" (64bit)
    "Unknown qwerty device"

Everything right now is all up in the air and nothing is know. BlackBerry have only shown a prototype which could change dramatically. Nothing is final. So I would wait till around June to see what's cracking.

There will be many leaks, there will be many rumours but the best thing is to not take anything to seriously until much later into the development when the BlackBerry Elite members take the device for a spin and "leak" or not leak the specs and photos.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2243
    If you're going to name the Porsche Design device on the "New Era" section, you might as well add the missing Porsche Design devices missing from both the touch & qwerty sections of your legacy list, bring them to 5.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 12:11 PM
94 ... 234