Oh, that's why most handsets have non-removable batteries and no moving parts!
    12-03-15 03:53 PM
    Folded paper in between the cover and the back of the phone would have did the trick too. Oldest trick in cellular history.

I remember the days when some removable batteries on flip phones would lose their connections and phones would power off. Just fold up a piece of paper, place it under the battery and slide the cover back on. Snug as a bug and the phone wouldn't power off anymore.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    With the hot priv issues.... don't get set on fire.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-15 04:29 PM
    Priv. Pure quality.

Come. On. This is ludicrous. You seriously would do this rather than return? This is a design flaw! It's so unimaginable that Samsung or Apple would release a creaky device in 2015 yet BB want to charge the same price. Crazy.
    The Note 5's S Pen gets stuck if you put it the other way, even though Note fans have been able to do so since the first Note. If it's 2015, doesn't mean no flaws will be made.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-15 10:02 PM
    I tried to put a credit card between the cover and the phone body to solve the creaky back cover and side issue on mine, but my phone was not able to lock on any satellites with google map while navigating.

Therefore, I used gps locker to check, and even though many satellites could be seen, nothing was in use(locked) for more than 1 hour.

I did get OTA update on the same day I found out about the gps problem, so I initially thought that it was that. and the weather has been very terrible for past couple days. so I suspected the weather as well.

However, today, I wanted to make sure that no other changes I made to the phone myself could be the cause before calling to the blackberry.

So I took the credit card out, and gps got back! So, I did some experiments with it.

1. Original condition (nothing between cover and the phone with cover is attached) : 12 satellites locked in 20 sec
    2. nothing in between cover and the phone, but the back cover was taken off as well : 3 satellites locked in a minute
    3. credit card between cover and the phone body : 0 satellites
    4. two business cards instead of the old credit card : 2 satellites in a minute

So here is my findings and a guess.

1. the back cover itself function as an antenna for the gps. (so it has to be attached to the phone for the GPS function)
    2. the object between the cover and the phone body somehow interfere with GPS reception.
    3. the thicker the object is, the worse the reception gets.
    4. it could be the object itself, or the object is lifting the back cover --> making the contacts not touched by each other(cover and phone)---> antenna in the cover case not working properly.

Any thought?

I'm now even more frustrated by the increased creaky noise(lol... I must made it loosen during the experiments) after taking everything out of the phone for the GPS(I use it everyday)
    Maybe the magnetic strip on the card if you didn't cut it off.
    12-03-15 10:14 PM
    Any thought?
    Just a guess but try to make sure that none of the pins and connectors on the edges of the back case are blocked by the credit card. I remember seeing some pictures and there were plenty of connections that the back case need to touch when it's on the phone.
    12-04-15 10:00 AM
    Just a guess but try to make sure that none of the pins and connectors on the edges of the back case are blocked by the credit card. I remember seeing some pictures and there were plenty of connections that the back case need to touch when it's on the phone.
    Now i know the reason of gps signal loss.

It is actually the thickness of insert(such as a credit card or business card here) making the contacts loose.

Now my phone doesnt catch the satellites well due to bent(or stretching) occured during continuous openning process. But it locks satellites right away when i press the edge of the phone for ten seconds.

T-T

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-04-15 05:49 PM
    As I state the card has to be no thicker then .85mm, the one I currently use. Previously I use one that was .75mm with the lettering squash to .94mm roughly. To thick and it will raise the back to far not allowing the contacts to touch and make sure the card is centre. Heres my sattelite all be it indoors.

Her

Attached Thumbnails Solved my creaky back issue-20265.jpg  
    12-04-15 07:48 PM
    $900 device and you need to do this kind of hack? Sigh... I'm getting an iPhone :-)

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 09:01 PM
    $900 device and you need to do this kind of hack? Sigh... I'm getting an iPhone :-)

Posted via CB10
    Sure, and I understand they have absolutely no issues. LOL
    12-04-15 10:28 PM
    Sure, and I understand they have absolutely no issues. LOL
    Both people in my office who bought brand new 6s' both had to return them within their week return window- one half the LED backlights didn't work- the other was creeky and bent out on the corners.

I finally got to hold a real priv today, such a nice device- really got me wanting to get one just after the downers on this form made me not want one! Now I am like HURRY UP VERIZON!

Posted via CB10
    buwee likes this.
    12-04-15 10:47 PM
    I don't think the entire back cover is the antenna. I believe it is the blackberry logo and it serves several purposes, GPS antenna, NFC antenna and at least on att models inductive charging receiver.

12-04-15 10:59 PM
    Both people in my office who bought brand new 6s' both had to return them within their week return window- one half the LED backlights didn't work- the other was creeky and bent out on the corners.

I finally got to hold a real priv today, such a nice device- really got me wanting to get one just after the downers on this form made me not want one! Now I am like HURRY UP VERIZON!

Posted via CB10
    It's actually a pretty nice phone (I was a bit skeptical at first) and I really don't know why some folks here are having such bad luck with them. I read someone saying it takes 9 hours to charge with a quick charger and mine takes about 1.75 hours with a regular charger, others having terrible battery life where as mine is getting better battery life than my Z30 and about the same as my Passport. Admittedly, there are some bugs but nothing so bad that I want to return it and I'm sure they're going to be resolved by software updates. I've had it since launch day and overall, I'm really glad I gave it a chance.
    12-04-15 11:46 PM
    And a lot of people on here are making excuses for BlackBerry on this issue like it ain't no thing...

so do you think that all other top end phones don't have faults ?
    12-05-15 12:19 AM
    Sadly there is no BB employee on this forum involved in the general phone hardware design of PRIV. The camera and the hub involved guys had a lot of tips for users. On the other hand, what should a hardware guy come up with - offer a better replacing-cover?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by gizmo21; 12-06-15 at 05:56 PM.
    12-05-15 01:50 AM
    Sadly there is no BB employee on this forum involved in the general phone hardware design of PRIV. The camera and the hub involved guys had a lot of tips for users. On the other hand, what should a hardware guy come up with - bettet replacing cover?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    How about filling in the empty spot behind the cover
    12-05-15 02:37 AM
    I'm sure the BB employees here are seeing these posts and silently acknowledging them. I doubt they can really say anything though since it's not their department.

Plus, would you really want any of them to say "we're looking into it..."? It would mean a collapse in Priv sales in anticipation of some sort of improved manufacturing process. Then what? A recall? We don't even know if any of this is required or warranted yet, and they sure as hell wouldn't want to spook people who have already bought phones or are thinking of it.

I'm sure we'll know sooner or later if they think this is a real problem to resolve or not.
    12-05-15 09:57 AM
    I moded my shim here are the dimensions.

Note: mine is actually .70mm thick on the long end and .35mm thick for the short end, which goes over the antenna. However its a tad on the thin side.

Attached Thumbnails Solved my creaky back issue-21255.jpg  
    12-05-15 12:44 PM
    Try returning it and getting a newer Priv. I hope that once Blackberry realizes that a lot of their customers have these complaints, they improve on the design subtly on the future batches of Priv devices that they release.
    12-05-15 12:54 PM
    I solved the issue by bending a bit the phone with the keyboard in and a bit (less) with the keyboard out. Now the screen doesn't �click� anymore and the back is fine. Much better.

I hope this help
    12-05-15 02:47 PM
    Heres the pics of my new shim. The white is .35mm thick and the red is .48mm thick. Earlier I had two white shims but I still had a little noise. I couldn't find one of .40mm but this will do fine.

Attached Thumbnails Solved my creaky back issue-img_20151205_182405.jpg  
    12-05-15 06:07 PM
    Seems like the first pic didn't load

Attached Thumbnails Solved my creaky back issue-img_20151205_182159-1-.jpg  
    12-05-15 06:09 PM
    WARNING! Dont try to open the back cover by yourself too often with strong force!!

if you ever try to open the back cover for any reason, you could bend the cover while doing so by its design.

And it will make the cover's contact does not touch the phone's one so that your gps can not lock on satellites. The gps antenna is located on the back cover and it touches the phone's gps at the edge of the back cover at the same level of camera. So if you open up the back cover too often, you can basically make your gps useless even without putting anything underneath it. This is what happened to me.

Blackberry is so good at coming with several brilliant ideas, but bbry is very poor at putting the ideas together especially when it comes to the hardware design.

Priv has creaky back cover issue due to its design flow, and you only make it worse by trying to fix it.

I am also was one of the first who found out about twisting passport body and lifting screen issue due to the twisting. I have exchanged two passports and sent one for the repair for the same reason. So i finally sold the passpott away since i was so.... anal to look at the twisted body all the times. And its when i saw blackberry released ATT with a different design to prevent twisting.

Now i see this creaky, clicky, back cover issue with possibility of gps signal loss due to 'hardware design' again...

Come on blackberry, i have used more than 9 of your phones since 2004 .... and i most of them had some hardware issues in comparison to galxy phones i had.(note 1,2,3,4, galaxy s1,2,4,6. and several Tabs)

The Pearl had a dirts gathering ball(pearl) design so that i had to regularly open it up and clean the ball and it's socket, the curve, storm, and bold's battery cover was loose and creaky so i had to put a piese of paper underneath the battery cover.and finally Passport's phone body was twisting, and light bleeded through its keyboard... i think Q10 was the only one i was fully satisfied with bbry. I really love the uniqueness and ideas of blackberry(thats why i keep coming back to bbry), but the hardware build quality is.... less than mediacore.

By the way, to test this possibility out, hold tight the both edges of the phone at the same level of camera (this is where the gps antenna on the cover touchs the phone's gps) while using google map or gps locker. If you see the gps locks while u are holding the corners like this, then let your fingers go... now you will see that the gps losses signals again.

Boom! Here you go. Now you need to replace the phone or take the cover out and bend it toward opposite way so thay the contacts gets closer to the phone's body. Now the problem is solved.!!

Are you serious bbry?

12-05-15 09:44 PM
    Sorry for you issues, however I have opened mine over a dozen of times trying different shims and no issues with the gps, note I do have some of those plastic opening tools to fix cell phone screen. You must be careful not to pry the back open as it needs to slide out to clear the bottom speaker area.

12-05-15 10:16 PM
48 12