See this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12884717

The short answer is that BlackBerry is still in discussion with qualcom and google and others re n and extant blackdroid devices.
    chuckiev79 and FF22 like this.
    05-21-17 04:57 AM
    See this thread:

The short answer is that BlackBerry is still in discussion with qualcom and google and others re n and extant blackdroid devices.
    But i still believe Nougat will come to priv and DTEK. It's ok for BBRY be to discuss with Qualcomm, but the thing is, SD 808, 617 and 820 are all capable of running Nougat. No reason for that.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    05-22-17 02:21 AM
    See this thread:

Why should either of those companies have anything to say about what BB does. I have to presume that BB got whatever rights to Android and versions as any other manufacturer. As I wrote elsewhere I wonder if BB is trying to shift any blame (falsely) on others because they don't want to offer the update (and compete with the keyone).
    05-22-17 11:06 AM
    Why should either of those companies have anything to say about what BB does. I have to presume that BB got whatever rights to Android and versions as any other manufacturer.
    It's Google's responsibility to provide the base OS for BlackBerry to customize (AOSP), and Qualcomm's responsibility to provide device drivers for the hardware that they supply. It has come up before: why Snapdragon 800/801 devices aren't officially getting Nougat is Qualcomm's fault.

But, since BlackBerry has demonstrated that they can put Nougat 7.x on their hardware already (KEYone, Aurora), and other OEMs have released Nougat 7.x for devices with the same SoC as the pre-KEYone BlackBerry Android devices (808/Nexus 5X, 617/HTC One A9, 820/Samsung Galaxy S7), I can't see the issue as lying anywhere else but at BlackBerry's feet.
    Uzi, FF22, anon(3641385) and 1 others like this.
    05-22-17 11:25 AM
    It's Google's responsibility to provide the base OS for BlackBerry to customize (AOSP), and Qualcomm's responsibility to provide device drivers for the hardware that they supply. It has come up before: why Snapdragon 800/801 devices aren't officially getting Nougat is Qualcomm's fault.

But, since BlackBerry has demonstrated that they can put Nougat 7.x on their hardware already (KEYone, Aurora), and other OEMs have released Nougat 7.x for devices with the same SoC as the pre-KEYone BlackBerry Android devices (808/Nexus 5X, 617/HTC One A9, 820/Samsung Galaxy S7), I can't see the issue as lying anywhere else but at BlackBerry's feet.
    Thanks for the additional info. (with tongue in cheek) - since BB is such a phenomenal SOFTWARE company I can't see anything that would really impede their being able to issue Nougat for the Priv and the two dtek devices.

I guess we shall see .... or not ........
    05-22-17 11:42 AM
    I don't believe BlackBerry at all... they spend time with lame excuses why Priv won't get N while it is simply caused by their divergence from standard ARM with nobody left at BlackBerry to create drivers for their so called security which is nothing other than bloat to me... it's a cruel joke
    krazyatom likes this.
    05-22-17 11:57 AM
    I'm not expecting expecting Nougat. I bought it with Lollipop and they updated to Marshmallow. This happened all while BlackBerry still officially in the hardware business.

One, no longer in hardware.

Two, licensing to BlackBerry Mobile could preclude BlackBerry Original from updating previous Android devices and/or any other devices not made by BlackBerry Mobile (or the other companies that purchased licenses). BlackBerry Original could have even put this language in themselves so as to avoid poor optics.

Three, what incentives does BlackBerry have for upgrading old devices? Both companies want people to buy new devices. They sold low numbers of PRIV and DTEK so how many people of total number are they really upsetting? Upgrading would altruistic only, no profit. BlackBerry still has shareholders and therefore it has obligation there. Wasting money on supporting a business they exited is highly unlikely.

If you buy a DTEK now, I don't think you'll see Nougat. Just don't see any incentives. BlackBerry has already written hardware off. You're buying or bought as-is....
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-22-17 01:10 PM
    I'm not expecting expecting Nougat. I bought it with Lollipop and they updated to Marshmallow. This happened all while BlackBerry still officially in the hardware business.

One, no longer in hardware.

Two, licensing to BlackBerry Mobile could preclude BlackBerry Original from updating previous Android devices and/or any other devices not made by BlackBerry Mobile (or the other companies that purchased licenses). BlackBerry Original could have even put this language in themselves so as to avoid poor optics.

Three, what incentives does BlackBerry have for upgrading old devices? Both companies want people to buy new devices. They sold low numbers of PRIV and DTEK so how many people of total number are they really upsetting? Upgrading would altruistic only, no profit. BlackBerry still has shareholders and therefore it has obligation there. Wasting money on supporting a business they exited is highly unlikely.

If you buy a DTEK now, I don't think you'll see Nougat. Just don't see any incentives. BlackBerry has already written hardware off. You're buying or bought as-is....
    Blackberry ltd is a software company. Its pretty much about the software and therefore they will most likely get nougat even for the priv and other blackberry android smartphones.
    05-22-17 02:31 PM
    I don't believe BlackBerry at all... they spend time with lame excuses why Priv won't get N while it is simply caused by their divergence from standard ARM with nobody left at BlackBerry to create drivers for their so called security which is nothing other than bloat to me... it's a cruel joke
    What are the lame excuses that BlackBerry has said with regards to Nougat and devices? is this official?
    05-22-17 04:36 PM
    again I'll say it. I highly doubt the priv will get it. believe it when I see it
    05-22-17 04:40 PM
    What are the lame excuses that BlackBerry has said with regards to Nougat and devices? is this official?
    Alex Thurber saying they are in discussion with qualcomm and google about it. He can't possibly think anyone is buying that.
    05-22-17 04:42 PM
    I have no link to BlackBerry so what I say represents only my personal view
    05-22-17 04:44 PM
    No excuses. Just that they are currently still deciding whether to do it or not.
    05-22-17 04:47 PM
    Blackberry ltd is a software company. Its pretty much about the software and therefore they will most likely get nougat even for the priv and other blackberry android smartphones.
    This is always a strange argument.

Whether they want to provide Nougat to existing devices has nothing to do with whether they are labelled a software company or not. They choose what software they will make, and the label itself does not bind them to any particular course of action.
    05-22-17 04:49 PM
    No excuses. Just that they are currently still deciding whether to do it or not.
    Conite thanks for clarification.
    05-22-17 04:53 PM
    That's like having your forest burning half way, and still wondering if you should call the
    firefighters.

Unless blackberry comes back with some sort of "Holy Grail" hardware, I'm done with their phones, after over 10 years 100% of comitment to the brand.

Enough of treating their customers like dirt
    05-22-17 05:10 PM
    Unless blackberry comes back with some sort of "Holy Grail" hardware, I'm done with their phones, after over 10 years 100% of comitment to the brand.

Enough of treating their customers like dirt
    Thankfully you never have to worry about BlackBerry again, as the DTEK60 was their last device ever.
    05-22-17 05:11 PM
    I kind of feel that BlackBerry will not release nougat for priv and dtek series. It will be very disappointing but BlackBerry just don't have enough resources to handle these kind of volume.
    05-22-17 05:14 PM
    I kind of feel that BlackBerry will not release nougat for priv and dtek series. It will be very disappointing but BlackBerry just don't have enough resources to handle these kind of volume.
    Sure they do - if they felt it was worth it.
    krazyatom likes this.
    05-22-17 05:16 PM
    So why isn't it worth it exactly? Most people don't even know OS versions so the old "sales of KEYone might be affected" argument is just ridiculous. All this is doing is alienating the people who helped (by buying their devices) BlackBerry get their Android OS to the point that they could licence it out.
    05-22-17 05:37 PM
    So why isn't it worth it exactly? Most people don't even know OS versions so the old "sales of KEYone might be affected" argument is just ridiculous. All this is doing is alienating the people who helped (by buying their devices) BlackBerry get their Android OS to the point that they could licence it out.
    It's a math problem for BlackBerry (cost of updating versus potential loss of future licencing fees). I'm not trying to make the case either way.

Personally, I hope we get it.
    05-22-17 05:38 PM
    It's a math problem for BlackBerry. I'm not trying to make the case either way.

Personally, I hope we get it.
    The math problem doesn't add up. What exactly do you mean? The OS is already there and ready and working on both a slab and a PKB device.
    05-22-17 05:40 PM
    That's too much work. Look at Motorola or LG. Even they have trouble updating them. If BlackBerry ever try to update priv, dtek60, dtek50, it will take more than one year minimum.
    05-22-17 05:41 PM
    The math problem doesn't add up. What exactly do you mean? The OS is already there and ready and working on both a slab and a PKB device.
    As I added to my post above, there is still a cost for BlackBerry to adapt the OS and then support Nougat on these devices going forward. That has to be measured against the potential loss of future licencing fees.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-22-17 05:42 PM
    Porting from one platform to another isn't exactly a five minute job. They should still get around to it, though.
    05-22-17 05:44 PM
722 ... 56789 ...