Don't expect a key2
    Is that just a reaction or have you read something to indicate there will be no follow-up device?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-22-17 11:21 PM
    Don't expect a key2
    Do yourself a favor. Buy another brand of phone that shows you the respect you feel you're entitled too.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and Blacklatino like this.
    05-22-17 11:22 PM
    You can count on one thing. If BlackBerry feels it's ok to to cheapen out with its current customers to the point that current customers decide not to buy new BlackBerries from TCL, then TCL in turn is not going to be very happy with BlackBerry the software company at all. TCL's business depends very much on that state of the BlackBerry brand. It would be very, very stupid to cheapen a brand that has already seen enough neglect over the years. If BlackBerry, the software company is smart, then they will protect their brand.
    05-22-17 11:31 PM
    I have only one voice. I have previously said here I wish BlackBerry shareholders would open an investigation as to why the hoteliers are depreciating the company worth in favor of purchased outside security assets of dubious value. Or they could file a class action. Or they could awaken the SEC since BlackBerry is traded on the exchange in the US. Mismanagement is frowned upon for listed companies that fall to close to zero actual asset value (not stock price which is governed by juvenile fears and rumor mongering).
    You really need to research first, then post.

https://www.benzinga.com/analyst-rat...tory-continues

BBRY - BlackBerry Ltd Stock quote - CNNMoney.com
    Ecm likes this.
    05-22-17 11:37 PM

Looks like BlackBerry's imminent demise has been delayed...
    howarmat likes this.
    05-22-17 11:42 PM
    Looks like BlackBerry's imminent demise has been delayed...
    ....... Again.......

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    05-22-17 11:42 PM
    Don't expect a key2
    I'll take my inside knowledge, and you're bet.

You can count on one thing. If BlackBerry feels it's ok to to cheapen out with its current customers to the point that current customers decide not to buy new BlackBerries from TCL, then TCL in turn is not going to be very happy with BlackBerry the software company at all. TCL's business depends very much on that state of the BlackBerry brand. It would be very, very stupid to cheapen a brand that has already seen enough neglect over the years. If BlackBerry, the software company is smart, then they will protect their brand.
    The Priv already received one major update. While I'd like y'all to receive another, I don't see where it "cheapens a brand" if it doesn't. Lack of security updates, definitely, and unbranded they've been very good about.
    05-22-17 11:44 PM
    As a client actually I perceive a Blackberry as a Blackberry. Whether made by TCL or original Blackberry I'm not aware of (in case I wouldn't read too much here).

So Priv no N update (no update upgrade semantics please) certainly creates perception that "bloody Keyone will not be updated either" hence I wont buy it. Perception not good for TCL and also not good for original Blackberry licensing income.

For what its worth.

Personally would love N for the split screen. And if battery life increases: great as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 03:13 AM
    What the heck is wrong with BlackBerry why cant they just hand over the pushing updates part to google... make their hardware have the same specs as say, nexus 6p and then tell google to update priv as they like... after the 2 years of google support they can maybe simply push the updates themselves for another 2 years...

If any android phone pushes latest android updates at nexus speed for 4 years that phone is definitely going to sell well...because people can rest assured that they dont have to buy a new phone every two years.

OR MAYBE...
    Just give stock android with no modifications... so then BlackBerry doesn't really have to do that much work... get the latest android os from google and after making it compatible with priv's hardware push it as google left it.

If BlackBerry only had the apple like after sales customer support and updated their devices 4 years from date of launch... there would be a lot more of us around.

The iphone isn't something great. It isn't the best smartphone...not by a long shot...but it is immensely popular... do you know why...

Because once u buy an iphone... you can rest assured for one year that u will get a new one if somethung happens to this one... you also know that your iphone will get updated for the time that an android phone company supports 2 generations of their devices... the iphone 6s was a competitor to the s6 edge... but it will stop getting updates when s7 edge stops...

If BlackBerry did something similar where it gives a stock android with software updates for 4 years at nexus speed... it would be big today.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 05:06 AM
    So Priv no N update (no update upgrade semantics please) certainly creates perception that "bloody Keyone will not be updated either" hence I wont buy it.
    The bloody Priv had an OS upgrade, so you should expect at least one for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

What the heck is wrong with BlackBerry why cant they just hand over the pushing updates part to google
    Because the Google would have to rewrite it for the hardened QNX kernel?

Just give stock android with no modifications... so then BlackBerry doesn't really have to do that much work
    Then it wouldn't be a BlackBerry, so what's the point.
    Ecm, medic22003 and bibbula like this.
    05-23-17 07:30 AM
    The bloody Priv had an OS upgrade, so you should expect at least one for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

Because the Google would have to rewrite it for the hardened QNX kernel?

Not that I agree with the person you responded to but it's not a QNX kernel.
    BigBadWulf and bibbula like this.
    05-23-17 07:33 AM

Ah, let's discuss "what is a Blackberry?"

Anyway, not going to do that. For who would like to know. I buy them because of the PKB. So stuck to whoever makes PKB's anyway.

PKB minded people are a minority nowadays. Whether a phone updates is more relevant though. Well at least for my apple loving friends.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 08:03 AM
    Not that I agree with the person you responded to but it's not a QNX kernel.
    My bad! Hardened Linux kernel.
    05-23-17 08:20 AM
    BlackBerry can install the BlackBerry hub and the dtek app and other BlackBerry only apps like the virtual keyboard and then push the update... installing like 8-10 BlackBerry exclusive apps will not be a huge effort on BlackBerry's end and also it will make BlackBerry a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 09:21 AM
    BlackBerry can install the BlackBerry hub and the dtek app and other BlackBerry only apps like the virtual keyboard and then push the update... installing like 8-10 BlackBerry exclusive apps will not be a huge effort on BlackBerry's end and also it will make BlackBerry a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    You can't install the dtek app on a device without BlackBerry Android. Integrity Detection requires all of the special modifications over vanilla Android.

Without the security aspects, there would be no point. Plus it would jeopardise any firm that actually employs the devices.
    BigBadWulf and Joao Oliveira like this.
    05-23-17 09:45 AM
    If priv or dtek series doesn't receive nougat, I'll probably be hesitant to buy new blackberry devices even if it manufactured by someone else. My dtek60 is less than 3 months old and I would not be surprised if blackberry decide not to update to nougat. Yes, it sucks but thats how blackberry roll these days.
    Uzi, Joao Oliveira and HughJarsse like this.
    05-23-17 10:34 AM
    If priv or dtek series doesn't receive nougat, I'll probably be hesitant to buy new blackberry devices even if it manufactured by someone else. My dtek60 is less than 3 months old and I would not be surprised if blackberry decide not to update to nougat. Yes, it sucks but thats how blackberry roll these days.
    That's pretty much every android oem that isn't making a nexus device. They just don't care. They are selling you a NEW phone not updating the one you have so they can't sell you a NEW one.
    05-23-17 10:43 AM
    That's pretty much every android oem that isn't making a nexus device. They just don't care. They are selling you a NEW phone not updating the one you have so they can't sell you a NEW one.
    Maybe I was lucky with other brands. I am spoiled for getting two OS updates lol. Now that I think about it, Priv maybe the first flagship that only received single OS update. At least for me. Most of my androids were Samsung, LG, Motorola. If priv or dtek series never receives nougat, I would expect all future blackberry devices will only receive single OS update.
    Uzi likes this.
    05-23-17 11:02 AM
    I dont understand... why are we all buying non nexus phones if we know that software updates on android devices are ****...

Posted via CB10
    05-23-17 11:21 AM
    I dont understand... why are we all buying non nexus phones if we know that software updates on android devices are ****...

Posted via CB10
    Because there are far more important things than software updates on Android devices.
    05-23-17 11:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    because that isnt true. Oneplus and Samsung do a decent job with updates and so does sony actually. They might not be monthly but they are often for all of those brands. Many manufactures offer things that Nexus phones dont. Whether its cost, hardware or softwares features or just the physical features of the phone, each phone has its appeal to people. Monthly security updates arent a huge priority and not something that I have to have for my phone. Most of the threats are very small likelihood of actually happening so as long as I am not 5-6 months behind and I dont download from shady methods I am pretty sure that you will be quite secure.
    Ecm likes this.
    05-23-17 11:39 AM
    Because there are far more important things than software updates on Android devices.
    Things like buying a new phone. Maybe next time I will go with a OnePlus.
    05-23-17 12:17 PM
    Things like buying a new phone. Maybe next time I will go with a OnePlus.
    O rly? How's Nougat upgrade for OnePlus 2 coming along?

https://www.xda-developers.com/onepl...nougat-update/
    so you don't need to search for the answer...
    05-23-17 12:38 PM
    O rly? How's Nougat upgrade for OnePlus 2 coming along?

https://www.xda-developers.com/onepl...nougat-update/
    so you don't need to search for the answer...
    Yes, oneplus is also known for very slow OS updates. If I am correct, oneplus 2 only received single OS update and phone was released back in August 2015. Oneplus one received two OS updates and currently on marshmallows.

I guess we shouldn't expect too much from budget phone like oneplus 2. It was like $350 so more like dtek50 price range.
    05-23-17 12:53 PM
    The Priv already received one update, from L to M. Don't get greedy! LOL

Posted with my trusty Z10
    krazyatom likes this.
    05-23-17 01:03 PM
722 ... 7891011 ...