Hello Everyone,

I've been talking about Marketing and Brand Image, and PR a lot lately (well, and actually 3 years ago, warning of the dangers of NOT handling that prior to BB10's Launch), and well, we see where we are now.

Is this mention in an Earnings call BlackBerry's best idea in terms of officially announcing a new (the ONLY) device?

Paraphrase: "Oh yes, we're launching a new offering called the Priv, and it runs android, which will give you lots of apps."

Wow, WOW. I really am dumbfounded (ok not literally) by this choice to handle things in this way.

I am not sure how you can do a worse job at this. This is ANTI-Hype.

KAM
    anon4226395 likes this.
    09-25-15 08:30 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I've been talking about Marketing and Brand Image, and PR a lot lately (well, and actually 3 years ago, warning of the dangers of NOT handling that prior to BB10's Launch), and well, we see where we are now.

Is this mention in an Earnings call BlackBerry's best idea in terms of officially announcing a new (the ONLY) device?

Paraphrase: "Oh yes, we're launching a new offering called the Priv, and it runs android, which will give you lots of apps."

Wow, WOW. I really am dumbfounded (ok not literally) by this choice to handle things in this way.

I am not sure how you can do a worse job at this. This is ANTI-Hype.

KAM
    It would be best to consider the press release and Chen's brief remarks during the earnings call as an acknowledgement of existing leaks. An announcement/launch proper is coming.
    09-25-15 08:38 AM
    It would be best to consider the press release and Chen's brief remarks during the earnings call as an acknowledgement of existing leaks. An announcement/launch proper is coming.
    I hope you're right, but it still isn't good. BlackBerry is on SUPER thin ice, so getting out in front of the rumors (which will likely skew negative) is pretty important.

They can't afford to continue to let media defining them (negatively). They can't keep taking a pounding, so hopefully, this will be received well.

*fingers crossed* because that's all I've got to rely on...*sigh*

KAM
    09-25-15 08:46 AM
    Too many threads with empty thoughts. Mods need to clean up.
    Last edited by Iggy City; 09-25-15 at 09:17 AM.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-25-15 08:47 AM
    I wouldn't call it an announcement but unfortunately now we know Prive is definitely the official name
    09-25-15 08:54 AM
    The timing of the announcement was not done by choice, but to deal with all the leaked information. Here's what John Chen said today during the Earnings Call:

The reason why I kind of "jumped the gun" to make the announcement today is because it's leaking everywhere and I didn't think that it makes total logical sense for us to have this conversation when it's leaking everywhere and I won't talk about it.

So we're confirming the fact that we are bringing our security know-how onto the Android ecosystem and we built a phone with the help of a lot of people, including working with Google, which tie up to also the Android for Work in the BES 12 strategy. So everything kind of comes together.

We've been working on this strategy for a long time, unfortunately it leaked, so I think it's best to let everybody know. And then so we have a much more sensible discussion. As far as pricing, we have a pricing. We are working with literally all the major carriers. The distribution strategy, you have to wait a little bit on that because we do have some choices.

Transcript from www.SeekingAlpha.com
    MO3iusONE and ayngling like this.
    09-25-15 07:03 PM