I have noticed that non-BlackBerry user are installing Android BlackBerry productivity apps on their devices. I would strongly encourage BlackBerry to make this not possible by introducing some kind of "hardware check" when these apps run.

However, if BlackBerry will charge for these apps on non-BB devices, that's good. Otherwise, people should not benefit from BB apps on non-BB devices.
    fanisk, rickkel, WT44 and 1 others like this.
    05-07-16 11:31 AM
    It's fair game in my opinion, BlackBerry 10 user hack Google play lol
    05-07-16 11:37 AM
    Exactly lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-16 11:38 AM
    I was on the fence about this at first, but I think the more people use and enjoy these apps, the greater likelihood they may at least look at future BlackBerry Android devices, or purchase the suite if it ever gets released.

BlackBerry must agree too, or they would have sent Cobalt a "message" by now.
    05-07-16 11:50 AM
    Yup. Tit for tat.

*ME173X
    05-07-16 11:51 AM
    As a "software" company they need to figure out a way to get people to stop pirating their apps. Otherwise this will continue happening.
    I'm actually looking at getting an Xperia phone and installing BlackBerry apps on it. Don't think I can wait another year to see if BlackBerry will consider releasing an all touch slab.
    05-07-16 01:47 PM
    As long as BlackBerry offers a device for consumers I would say yes. But if they get out of hardware then release all their apps to the masses.
    BlackBerry devices need all the advantages they can get.

Posted via my Priv
    BigBadWulf and Mecca EL like this.
    05-07-16 02:16 PM
    An app is an app... If it isn't a paid app there is no harm... If a person doesn't want to purchase the Priv but admires the VKB or Hub for example, than why not force equality and put them on their Android of choice...?

Besides, while the Priv's pricing has been drastically reduced, $499+ is still a lot to spend on a device for those on a budget or those experiencing financial hardships, if they want to drop $75 on a device like the Galaxy Core Prime and then load it with the Hub and VKB I see nothing wrong with that...

If BlackBerry could've capitalized on any app it would have been BBM, they missed that window years ago though, so why even try to regain footing by betting on apps to secure a consumer base, especially when the chosen platform is Android of all platforms...?

Attempting such a thing to try to avoid this would be wasted time and resources... Move on to improving elsewhere, like some well-endowed marketing tactics and competitive specs (with TIMELY releases, none of this 'wow factor' in theory that takes forever to be released now rendering the 'wow' to a mild 'hey'...) and devices NOT priced at that of an Apple... The latter is very important... Maybe one day aspire to be priced like Apple or Samsung Premium devices... Just don't drop an entry level device into a premium price bracket and expect the device to sell millions... "Aim for the moon, so even if you miss you'll be among the stars" only applies if people are paying attention to your aim in the 1st place... Make them pay attention... You don't take respect, you earn it... BlackBerry can't just mosey into Android and expect the world to stop and admire its radiance... They need to start from scratch and build from the ground up... Their apps being loaded here and there are a nice way to get noticed... Why fight free advertising...? Hub on a Nexus is still the Hub... Maybe with the proper development people will begin to want a little more... It's better than locking it down and watching the clones of those attempting to replicate the Hub and VKB emerge to meet a demand... Imitation is the greatest form of flattery after all and Play Store is living proof of this... Think of it a a warm welcome to the Android platform...

Posted via CB10
    digtech, Jrox74, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    05-07-16 02:56 PM
    Exactly! Google Play and the majority of the apps BB10 users have installed on their devices were never designed with the intent of them being run on BB10 yet it happened... BlackBerry Priv apps ripped and transplanted to Android devices near and far was inevitable... Focus elsewhere, apps were never BlackBerry's thing anyways...
    Should BlackBerry lock out non-BlackBerry devices from using BlackBerry apps?-img_20160507_160615.png

Posted via CB10
    05-07-16 03:08 PM
    No way, it's about the only thing making Android bearable
    anon(8063781) and gizmo21 like this.
    05-07-16 03:10 PM
    I was on the fence about this at first, but I think the more people use and enjoy these apps, the greater likelihood they may at least look at future BlackBerry Android devices, or purchase the suite if it ever gets released.

BlackBerry must agree too, or they would have sent Cobalt a "message" by now.
    Like me. I have been using the apps on my Moto X and am looking forward to getting the PRIV this month and coming back to BlackBerry. I have missed a lot of things

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    gizmo21 likes this.
    05-07-16 05:08 PM
    I would say no. BlackBerry needs all the help they can get. I would release every app to the play store. BlackBerry then has to tout their keyboards, security and privacy to get people to buy the phones that they make.
    05-07-16 05:14 PM
    As a "software" company they need to figure out a way to get people to stop pirating their apps. Otherwise this will continue happening.
    I'm actually looking at getting an Xperia phone and installing BlackBerry apps on it. Don't think I can wait another year to see if BlackBerry will consider releasing an all touch slab.
    An All touch device will be released this year

Rock'n the Marshmallow boosted Priv!
    05-07-16 05:17 PM
    I think BlackBerry should allow with a fee. It's a good way to spread their name to the mass.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    fadi.alsaidi likes this.
    05-07-16 05:22 PM
    I think BlackBerry should allow with a fee. It's a good way to spread their name to the mass.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    A fee restricts adoption by the masses. Free is better.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    05-07-16 07:47 PM
    The apps won't help BlackBerry get possible customers. Quite the contrary, my next phone will be a beefed up Android, but not a BlackBerry. I surely will get the Hub and the Launcher and the Keyboard.

If these apps were PRIV-exclusive, I probably would have gotten a PRIV honestly. They're not, though. Why pay for an overpriced phone when I can get one with better specs for a lower price WITH the BlackBerry apps? Bingo!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-16 08:01 PM
    The apps won't help BlackBerry get possible customers. Quite the contrary, my next phone will be a beefed up Android, but not a BlackBerry. I surely will get the Hub and the Launcher and the Keyboard.

If these apps were PRIV-exclusive, I probably would have gotten a PRIV honestly. They're not, though. Why pay for an overpriced phone when I can get one with better specs for a lower price WITH the BlackBerry apps? Bingo!

Posted via CB10
    This is my thought too. These BlackBerry apps make it all too easy to transition away from BlackBerry hardware.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my BlackBerry Priv
    drpearson likes this.
    05-07-16 08:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    What hopefully will draw customers will be the security of the phone? Maybe? Probably not.

05-07-16 10:11 PM
    What hopefully will draw customers will be the security of the phone? Maybe? Probably not.

Probably not.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-16 10:27 PM
    You want them, buy a Priv.

Blackberry should enforce same.

05-07-16 10:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    They are exclusive actually to Priv unless you pirate them.
    Anyone that is using the BlackBerry Productivity Apps on other devices is not accessing them without downloading a patched ripped off apk. You do miss out on the constant updates, bug and security fixes, thus you wil always have to wait for that new patched version.
    Each to his / her own I guess.

Posted via my Priv
    05-07-16 10:35 PM
    If BlackBerry 's goal is to become a software company serving enterprise market, I don't see locking it down for consumer market will benefit their cause. On the contrary it might hurt them more.

But if BlackBerry still wants to keep the option to sell phones to consumer market, then it makes sense to lock it down. Because right now when I look at Priv against other flagship devices, the only thing attracts me is their productivity and security features. If I can get it on other devices, this makes Priv much less attractive to me.

So what's gona be BlackBerry? Enterprise focus only or still eyeing consumer market?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    05-07-16 10:37 PM
    A lot of people that use the blackberry apps were former blackberry users anyway. I myself are one of them. Even if I had to purchase the apps, I definitely would. I needed the hub badly lol.

05-07-16 10:44 PM
    The users that are installing the BB apps is quite small in comparison to the android world. Far less than the amount of people who used play store workarounds on bb10 IMO
    05-07-16 10:53 PM
    I'm happy to pay for BlackBerry Apps if they were available in Play store BUT they are not. So I donated to Cobalt for his efforts in making it available... the next best and fair thing to do.

05-07-16 11:21 PM
174 123 ...