It seems that my Verizon signal reception is really poor on most of the time. I've never had problems with phone calls.

The mobile network setting is on global. Not sure why I don't get a stronger signal.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails Seemingly poor reception on Verizon-37702.jpg  
    07-23-16 02:24 PM
    Are you coming from a BlackBerry device to the Priv? I notice my signal is a little worse with my G3, but I can't find anything that compares radio strengths between platforms. Not sure if anyone has really asked the question yet.
    07-23-16 02:33 PM
    Should be able to see signal strength in the "Settings" menu. I don't know the service menu or if there is one in the Priv but some Android phones have a "Service Menu" that is accessed through the dialer with a code (*#*#7378423#*#* [example] will not work on this phone), the signal level where I live is spotty at best, with any carrier or phone.
    I have 2 bars all the time where I am at, calls work but sometimes are in and out on the voice.
    07-23-16 02:51 PM
    I came from a iPhone 6, and then a blackberry classic, then a note 5 in a year's time. My priv gets worse reception then all of these. (All verizon)

bluesqueen23 likes this.
    07-23-16 02:54 PM
    It seems that my Verizon signal reception is really poor on most of the time. I've never had problems with phone calls.

The mobile network setting is on global. Not sure why I don't get a stronger signal.

This was discussed at length several months ago. The signal bar strength on the Priv tends to show less bars than on previous BlackBerry phones. It's irrelevant as long as everything works. Don't worry about it.
    07-23-16 08:21 PM
    If you want to see the actual signal strength, go to system settings, about phone, status, SIM status.
    Gray likes this.
    07-23-16 08:23 PM
    You are on an outdated network. Try GSM

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 08:30 PM
    If you want to see the actual signal strength, go to system settings, about phone, status, SIM status.
    The problem is that I never remember what the NEGATIVE numbers (high or low) mean!

I'm fluctuating between -99 and 101 and the asu changes, too. 42 and 43 and now 40!

(and wouldn't you know it, while testing this stuff my internet or wifi connection went down and I could not post. My Priv lost wifi and Blend lost contact with the Z30. Samsung Tab also fell off!!!!)

And then I'll ask - what should my Cell Network settings be with Verizon? Global or other?

Seemingly poor reception on Verizon-screenshot_2016-07-23-19-03-58.jpg
    07-23-16 08:59 PM
    This was discussed at length several months ago. The signal bar strength on the Priv tends to show less bars than on previous BlackBerry phones. It's irrelevant as long as everything works. Don't worry about it.
    Weaker signal means more battery used to stay connected - there's areas of the country where my G3 can heat the car by itself if it's not dead from hunting for a signal where my Z10 never has a problem. Caught me off guard that first trip. There's also areas of the building where I work where I have trouble using my G3 because it's hovering at losing LTE and I have to move or try and see if it will lock in order to use. It's not a problem if it works, true, but if someone isn't aware their new device has a weaker signal/radio, that's a problem.
    07-23-16 10:16 PM
    Weaker signal means more battery used to stay connected - there's areas of the country where my G3 can heat the car by itself if it's not dead from hunting for a signal where my Z10 never has a problem. Caught me off guard that first trip. There's also areas of the building where I work where I have trouble using my G3 because it's hovering at losing LTE and I have to move or try and see if it will lock in order to use. It's not a problem if it works, true, but if someone isn't aware their new device has a weaker signal/radio, that's a problem.
    Well, yes, but the issue was the number of bars on the signal strength icon on the screen. The Priv tends to show less bars than previous BlackBerry phones. The area that I live and work is hardly a metropolitan area, mostly rural and medium sized towns in Eastern North Carolina. Very rarely do I get four or five bars. Mostly 1, 2 or three. I don't have any problems using data or making calls. Don't have battery or heat problems either.
    07-23-16 10:35 PM
    The problem is that I never remember what the NEGATIVE numbers (high or low) mean!

I'm fluctuating between -99 and 101 and the asu changes, too. 42 and 43 and now 40!

(and wouldn't you know it, while testing this stuff my internet or wifi connection went down and I could not post. My Priv lost wifi and Blend lost contact with the Z30. Samsung Tab also fell off!!!!)

And then I'll ask - what should my Cell Network settings be with Verizon? Global or other?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-07-23-19-03-58.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	404639
    LTE/CDMA
    07-23-16 10:42 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-07-23-19-03-58.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	404639
    With dBm you want smaller numbers. My suggestion is try each - I always set LTE/CDMA on every BlackBerry I owned, but when I did set that on my G3 I found it didn't work as well as Global. By that I mean Global uses less battery to attain signal.
    07-23-16 10:54 PM
    Ok I see your point but do you really face problems with this signal bar? If you don't then no need to worry about it. It's just some off-callibration thing which might be addressed (hopefully) on the next os update. Hope BlackBerry is aware of this issue as sometimes it's kinda annoying when at the same time your PRIV shows lesser bars compared to other phones on the same carrier, but with lesser bars you can do more.. Coz that's what I'm facing most of the time lol.. My PRIV beats Samsung/LG/Huawei/i6+ which shows more bars..

Posted via my PRIV!
    07-24-16 05:26 AM
    My Priv is worse than my z30, but it is also better than my wife's iPhone 6s. That said, turn off the advanced calling features (Voice over LTE). At my house LTE is -118, Verizon sent me a 3G extender which solved the problem for the Priv and iPhone but required that Voice over LTE be turned off or the phone will still try to hook up with the LTE tower.
    07-24-16 07:21 AM
    My Verizon Priv definitely has worse reception than my Verizon Z30 did or that my spouses Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 currently has. I don't go by the signal strength indicator as others have suggested. Instead I go by the fact I have dropped calls, bad interface static, can't browse the Internet and can't make phone calls. This is all in places where the Galaxy S5 still works without issue and the Z30 used to work. I still like the phone. However it is frustrating that things like poor reception, issues with short code text messages not working, and no VVM seem to be low on the priority to be fixed.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Verizon Blackberry Priv
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    07-24-16 07:40 AM
    My Verizon Priv definitely has worse reception than my Verizon Z30 did or that my spouses Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 currently has. I don't go by the signal strength indicator as others have suggested. Instead I go by the fact I have dropped calls, bad interface static, can't browse the Internet and can't make phone calls. This is all in places where the Galaxy S5 still works without issue and the Z30 used to work. I still like the phone. However it is frustrating that things like poor reception, issues with short code text messages not working, and no VVM seem to be low on the priority to be fixed.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Verizon Blackberry Priv
    All very valid reasons and why I went back to my iPhone 6s+.
    07-26-16 03:42 PM
    A few years ago dialing 228 on Verzon would update towers on the phone. It doesn't work these days. Probably no longer needed with modern cell phones.

Nothing I've tried improves signal reception but it hasn't caused trouble with calls.
    08-04-16 10:24 AM