I bought a new SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card Class 10 SD card for my Priv shortly after the phone arrived and just put it in. I didn't do anything for formatting or anything special. I only used it for extra storage space for photos etc. I just updated to MM (VZW) recently with the SD card left in the device, and never prompted me about it so I never specified anything about it.

My third-party phone recording app didn't want to see the card, though, which may very well have been an issue with the app not liking the MM update for all I know (it had other issues after the MM update an I had to reinstall the app).

I decided to back up the card's contents to my PC before troubleshooting. I have a Lexar USB 3.0 Dual-Slot card reader, which has always worked fine for all my micro SD cards before (though this is the first time I've gone up to 128 GB). It would only copy or even preview "some" of the JPG and MP4 files and then failed. Every time. I tried it on a powered 3.0 hub, and on a 2.0 port, and with a short cable, and nothing worked.

I then tried using the USB connection to Priv itself. I downloaded the newest BB USB PC drivers for the for Priv (for MM) and sure enough I was able to copy all the files from the device to the PC on the first try (using a 2.0 port).

I then testd the Lexar card reader with my previous 64GB micro SD card from my Classic and was able to copy all its contents to the PC no problem (USB 3.0 port).

(Note: I'm just mentioning the ports here for information. I'm sure my ports are not the issue.)

This is pretty odd to me. What would you guess is the broken piece in this scenario? Bad card reader (but it worked fine on the 64GB card)? Bad SD card (but it worked fine in the Priv using the USB connection)?

Formatting? If so, how? (Since I did successfully copy its contents to the PC with the USB connection the Priv, wiping with a format is okay.)

I don't want it to be added internal storage (not putting apps on it). Just portable storage. Note that so far I never did specify either on the Priv.

Some research suggests it's just a bad SD card and that, while formatting might work, it's likely to go bad again and I should just replace it.

I've ordered a newer type of card reader and will try that when it arrives, FWIW.

Thanks!
    11-21-16 12:50 PM
    There are some apps that can check if the card is counterfeit or legit. Could be a bad card or that reader - what OS on the computer? Have another reader or adapter or another computer you can re-check it with?
    11-21-16 02:55 PM
    There are some apps that can check if the card is counterfeit or legit. Could be a bad card or that reader - what OS on the computer? Have another reader or adapter or another computer you can re-check it with?
    I'm running Windows 7.

I can check it on a laptop and, as I mentioned, in a few days I have a new card reader arriving I can check it with, too.

Thanks.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-21-16 02:58 PM
    Well, I've checked it with a new, different make of card reader and got the same result. It copies about 15% of the contents and then fails -- it says it's an I/O error.

(I have yet to try another computer. I'm not expecting that to make the difference, but I will try it.)

Odd.
    11-23-16 08:46 PM
    And now I had Windows check the disk and it found no errors (Explorer > Properties > Tools > Error-checking).
    11-23-16 09:07 PM
    SanDisk tech support's advice is that, since I was able to copy the files to the PC using the USB-to-device connection, I should go ahead and use the PC to format the card and see if that fixes the issue. If not, they said I should assume it's a bad card (and they offered to replace it if I provide all the needed info).

I have yet to do the formatting to test it.

They would not give me a guess as to why it works with the PC-to-device USB connection but not in a card reader. I find this pretty interesting.

Note that, as I mentioned earlier, I successfully copied all the files from the card while in the device to the PC via USB after installing the latest BlackBerry USB drivers that support MM.
    11-25-16 11:09 PM
    Well, there's still the card reader and the 128gig card which it has never addressed before??? While probably not the issue, it could be. You know - computer still do what they want for whatever reason.
    11-26-16 12:18 AM
    Well, there's still the card reader and the 128gig card which it has never addressed before??? While probably not the issue, it could be. You know - computer still do what they want for whatever reason.
    As I mentioned earlier, I tried two (very) different card readers -- and got the same result.
    11-26-16 11:59 AM
    Very likely scenario. SanDisk has a utility for verifying the authenticity.
    11-26-16 11:08 PM