I think this might be a win-win situation here...for reasons below:

1. China is still hesitatant about embracing the Google ecosystem..yet the Chinese phone makers are still forced to adopt the Android OS, simply because theres no other choice. Thus we get these weird UI-based OS that manufactures claim to be their own, but as we all know its still Android at heart.

2. Having an OS thats completely independant from Google Service, runs smooth as butter (much better than Android in my opinion), and a very polished Hub, might be just what China seeks

3. Theres 1.3 billion ppl in China. Thats more than enough people to support an ecosystem/OS completely on their own

As much as i hate to see this happen (that BB10 dies off in the west), this move might actually save both the OS AND the company...

Just my two cents...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-12-16 09:43 PM
    4) If BB sells it to the Chinese then Western governments and any business with similar expectations will drop BB10 like a hot stone.

Lenovo pursued BlackBerry bid, but Ottawa rejected idea - The Globe and Mail
    Jrox74 likes this.
    05-12-16 10:53 PM
    What do you mean by selling? As far as I know BB10 would be available for license if anyone wants to pay. The Chinese manufacturers are selling phones at cost. In this game, free beats any other feature.
    If they actually cared about having their own thing, they could roll their own based on Linux or BSD or any number of freely available embedded OS. It would be cheaper to pay an army of developers than to buy BB10 outright if it were even available for sale
    05-12-16 11:35 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is in China. Not in significant amount but it's there. The brand is not as tarnished as in North America, but it's even more irrelvant.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    05-12-16 11:47 PM
    I don't think Chinese buying blackberry 10 will be smart move as blackberry still have some security contracts with government etc where security is very important, this will leak more revenue..
    05-13-16 12:00 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is in China. Not in significant amount but it's there. The brand is not as tarnished as in North America, but it's even more irrelvant.

Over there, the rich must use Apple, as it's a status symbol. Other peasants either use locally customized Google-less Android or flip phones, and a very small minority uses BlackBerry. The Priv is parallel imported by a few importers.
    05-13-16 06:45 AM
    Even Samsung is being edged out by the cheaper Chinese alternatives such as Xiaomi who are producing very cost effective smartphones with competitive specs. Price is a huge factor in China and other than for Apple, which is something that cannot be mimicked, it is becoming quite difficult to compete in the market for foreign manufacturers.
    Also, China already has multiple app markets for android filled with pirated apps from the Google Play store. I heard that people don't pay for the apps because of this. They don't need Google for Android to thrive. There are plenty of domestic options.
    They don't have a compelling reason to adopt BB10 when there's nothing majorly wrong with Android.
    05-13-16 07:22 AM
    Preposterous.
    05-13-16 08:32 AM
    China phone makers user Android because it's free.
    Why would they pay to use an OS that fewer people desire.

And if security was your priority, would you really go with a no name China brand?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-16 08:43 AM
    yet the Chinese phone makers are still forced to adopt the Android OS, simply because theres no other choice.
    Sailfish,
    Tizen,
    Ubuntu Touch,
    Windows 10 Mobile
    05-13-16 08:49 AM
    I am now a joke in my circle in terms of smartphone choices... especially when recently my Passport acted up and can't use the latest Wechat and CoC anymore. I got laughed at even from Chinese friends across the Pacific Ocean and the advice was: just get an iPhone dude!

The funny thing is, when I started looking for other choices, the one caught my eye is HTC one, from another company that may go under soon.

This get me thinking... why can't I just set with mainstream choices? A iPhone or a Samsung seems to be perfectly capable. Why can't I just take one of those and be done with it?

I know many of you will get me... I think we are genetically different from the mass. It's biology, not logic.

Don't get into pros and cons of owning a BlackBerry or HTC products, those are just justifications. Apple and Samsung fan boys can give out another list of justifications for them and you can do nothing to persuade them going a different direction neither.

We are just different. No better or worse.

StephanieMaks and zephyr613 like this.
    05-13-16 08:55 AM
    Over there, the rich must use Apple, as it's a status symbol. Other peasants either use locally customized Google-less Android or flip phones, and a very small minority uses BlackBerry. The Priv is parallel imported by a few importers.
    Eh, dude. Are you serious???? Status symbol ? Where did this idea come from??

The iPhone is only a mainstream choice there, whereas Vertu and a few Samsung high end models (weird far east exclusive models that normally come with dual amoled flip shell, gold plated frame, dual sim etc. RRP usually above 2000 usd) somehow means something special. Do you really think the huge quantity of iPhone in China would make it any special considering it's been apple's largest single market for quite some time.

In terms of OP's question, actually, there's really no need to discuss here since Blackberry made their choice long before the release of BB10. Just have a look at their native Chinese support. Even the very basic input method embedded in windows95 was, to some extent, far superior. Not to mention the swipe gesture etc..

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with market share or ambitious. It's just the way BB is - do whatever that they deem matters concurrently and never ever look steps further. BB used to have a much much larger user base before BB10 era when there's a decent Chinese support. And back then, the China Telecom, one of the 3 largest carriers, even made BB as their flagship product line to compete iPhone ( there was no CDMA iphone exist, which was the tech CT based on). But RIM's ignorance and lack of vision just ruined every effort the carrier made.

Regarding their decisions, some BB fans says that's because the market share was not enough for BB to justify further investment on BB10's localization. While, back to 2007, since the original iPhone, the one sold exclusively on AT&T US, full native support of Chinese UI and input has been integrated. Who knew iPhone then in Chinese speaking markets? And now China has long been apple's solid top 2 market.

According to varies statistics, Chinese is the world's most used language (based on the population). They just simply don't care those markets and don't bother to do anything about it. So, how there gonna be even a single little thing attract Chinese investors? Now, BB barely has anything to promise a future but, sadly, only orally expressed ambitious. They can find many excuses for everything, they can say anything a customer want to hear. But nothing could change unless they do something. However, they failed to put things in action for many years. I doubt they can change now.

I don't wanna be a downmouth but, sometimes, ugly truth is the only thing the sinking ship needs.
    Last edited by everywill; 05-13-16 at 10:52 AM.
    05-13-16 10:40 AM
    This get me thinking... why can't I just set with mainstream choices? A iPhone or a Samsung seems to be perfectly capable. Why can't I just take one of those and be done with it?

I know many of you will get me... I think we are genetically different from the mass. It's biology, not logic.
    Harbingers of failure: meet the customers you don?t want to love your product - Ars Technica

Harbingers of failure: meet the customers you don�t want to love your product
    A central premise in marketing seems so obvious that it doesn�t even bear scrutiny: if customers give you positive feedback on your product, that�s good. And if those people buy the product repeatedly, that's even better.

But what if certain customers just don�t have great taste? Or, more precisely, what if their tastes don�t match up with those of the rest of the population? Positive feedback and early sales from these customers might actually not be good news�they could be a sign that the product�s going to tank.

A recent paper in the Journal of Marketing Research has identified a group of customers whose support for a product is a �harbinger of failure,� a signal that the product will eventually flop. �Increased sales of a new product by some customers can actually be a strong signal of future failure,� researchers write. So who are these people?
    fadi.alsaidi likes this.
    05-13-16 10:46 AM
    Yeah, neither the Inner Party, Outer Party nor the proles use BBs over there.
    05-13-16 11:04 AM
    Many of them were. But no longer now. There were many active BB communities up until 9900. RIM thrown their market share and foundation of raise by launching Chinese unfriendly BB10. Tons of my chinese friends had to switch to iPhone just for a proper input method.
    05-13-16 11:14 AM
    Hahahha, I can't believe theres an article on this! I guess they can count me in as one of the harbingers too..

05-13-16 11:45 AM
    Hahahha, I can't believe theres an article on this! I guess they can count me in as one of the harbingers too..

Count me in. Goodness, after reading this article I can see my suffering history with electronic.

05-13-16 12:22 PM
    I don't know, the only smartphone I have used are BlackBerry and I have always been critical on some (cough...many...cough) of the decisions they made. I do root for their good decisions, but not blindly supporting them like cough... pinot... cough (sorry for throwing you under the bus, pinot ).

For other stuff, like Steven Colbert, Kimmy Kimmel, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Big Bang Theory, etc. etc. I think I am pretty mainstream.

I think I just need to get out more for smartphones... HTC, wait for me
    05-13-16 01:51 PM
    Why would they pay for an OS, when Android is free.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-16 02:15 PM
    The Canadian Government already kiboshed the sale of BlackBerry to the Chinese once. What makes you think they would do any different now?

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    07-10-16 04:58 PM