Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • BlackBerry PRIV

21 60.00%
  • Samsung S7 Edge

9 25.71%
  • Other phone (LG G5, Passport, etc.)

5 14.29%
    I have been a Blackberry user since the Curve (for my work phone). I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone 4 (for personal phone).

I currently use an iPhone 6 for my personal phone and until very recently, had a Blackberry Classic for my work phone. I am testing an LG G4 work phone and don't miss the physical keyboard as much as I thought. I also love the bigger screen and am growing to like the Android.

I have to option of moving to a PRIV or a Samsung S7 and can't decide. I love the design of the PRIV but am afraid it might be a dated device with the SN808 processor. I mostly use my work phone for email, calendar and music (sometimes plugged into a headphone amp into higher end headphones).

I've been loyal to Blackberry for a long time in large part because I knew people in the industry who would always send me the latest models. I don't know if their marketing dollars are drying up, but I'm going to have to pay for my next Blackberry device (although I'm in an industry position where I would normally get test phones for free). So....if I have to expense a new device, I'm thinking I'll give the Samsung a try since it's waterproof, has expandable memory and I believe a more powerful headphone amp built in.

I'm not trolling. I just would love to hear your thoughts.
    02-23-16 03:45 AM
    I will go for the Priv because it is distinctly a unique device having both PKB and VKB and apps eco system .
    02-23-16 03:50 AM
    Presumably for work you type emails? The pkb on the Priv is much better in terms of speed and accuracy for lengthy text. If you haven't needed a waterproof phone before, you don't now. At the end of the day, it's your choice, they both run Android so not much difference there. The Snapdragon 808 is pretty fast, I wouldn't call it outdated at all and I have experienced no issues with the speed of it. Personally, if I were in your shoes and looking for a work phone, the Passport SE is hard to beat. I use a Priv for personal and a Passport for work and it's a great combo for me. For me, the most attractive personal phone at the moment is the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, I wouldn't get a Samsung simply because there's better out there, the Nexus 6P or LG V10 should also be considered for a work phone above a Samsung (in my opinion)

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 O2 UK
    Norg likes this.
    02-23-16 04:00 AM
    Presumably for work you type emails? The pkb on the Priv is much better in terms of speed and accuracy for lengthy text. If you haven't needed a waterproof phone before, you don't now. At the end of the day, it's your choice, they both run Android so not much difference there. The Snapdragon 808 is pretty fast, I wouldn't call it outdated at all and I have experienced no issues with the speed of it. Personally, if I were in your shoes and looking for a work phone, the Passport SE is hard to beat. I use a Priv for personal and a Passport for work and it's a great combo for me. For me, the most attractive personal phone at the moment is the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, I wouldn't get a Samsung simply because there's better out there, the Nexus 6P or LG V10 should also be considered for a work phone above a Samsung (in my opinion)

Email is primary the core function for my work phone. That said, when I'm in the office all day, I probably use my laptop the most because I can type much faster on a full size keyboard than on any smartphone keyboard. Why do you feel the Samsung is not a good work phone?
    02-23-16 05:18 AM
    Your decision really depends on one factor, which is the pkb. I myself am not a fan of the one on the Priv and can type much more accurately on a vkb, but if you are desperate for a pkb no matter then I'd say get the Priv. Every other feature would be in favor of the S7.
    JohnGrey likes this.
    02-23-16 05:18 AM
    Your decision really depends on one factor, which is the pkb. I myself am not a fan of the one on the Priv and can type much more accurately on a vkb, but if you are desperate for a pkb no matter then I'd say get the Priv. Every other feature would be in favor of the S7.
    I think I was highly in favour of a physical keyboard up until a year ago. There are some times I still wish I had a physical keyboard, but that might be some nostalgia at play. So you think the S7 is better in every area except for the lack of a physical keyboard?
    02-23-16 05:20 AM
    I think I was highly in favour of a physical keyboard up until a year ago. There are some times I still wish I had a physical keyboard, but that might be some nostalgia at play. So you think the S7 is better in every area except for the lack of a physical keyboard?
    Well you could argue OS wise that the Priv runs a purer version of Android, but the S7 will be launching with Android M, with no signs of when the Priv will be getting that. I myself don't mind touchwiz, as it's not the bloated mess that it used to be. I guess you could argue the Hub, but in my opinion the Hub on Android isn't worthy of buying it because it's so crippled on Android right now.

But yes other than that I don't know of a feature that the Priv has that the S7 does that would be better. Again just my personal opinion. The Priv is nice don't get me wrong, but it's not going to be comparable to new phones coming out now and in the next several months and there aren't any signs of BB releasing anything other than the Vienna, which is still doubtful and will be a midrange qwerty phone.
    02-23-16 05:27 AM
    Why not the LG V10 or LG G5? LG seems to be a better deal as it goes for marketshare and seems to be pushing for more innovation. Also, the Nexus line appears to be pretty impressive to many in Android Central. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 06:03 AM
    Priv. Faster processor on s7 means little difference in real life. You will see no difference. Plus Samsung needs faster CPU to handle power hungry touchwiz

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-23-16 06:10 AM
    Why not the LG V10 or LG G5? LG seems to be a better deal as it goes for marketshare and seems to be pushing for more innovation. Also, the Nexus line appears to be pretty impressive to many in Android Central. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    I have been testing an LG G4 for about a month and have found:
    • Battery life is brutal. I use the phone a lot at work, but am charging the LG G4 at least twice a day.
    • The LG G4 seems to get really slow at times

The one thing I will miss from Blackberry is the long battery life (on the Classic) and the custom dictionary.
    02-23-16 06:23 AM
    but I'm going to have to pay for my next Blackberry device (although I'm in an industry position where I would normally get test phones for free). So....if I have to expense a new device,
    So you still get the phone for free, not bad

Posted via CB10
    02-23-16 08:01 AM
    It would come down to text input and security I'm sure. I don't think you would have any problems with the 808 doing stuff for work.

Posted via my Priv, Z30, or Q5!
    02-23-16 08:08 AM
    I don't know if the patched BB Hub/services etc runs as good on other Android devices (or is as supported) as it does on the Priv. The two main reasons for me are the Hub and PKB; I go through lots of email in a day. OS is an OS. In terms of computing power, my old Nexus 4 runs Android L/M just fine enough for me and not intolerably slower than the Priv.
    02-23-16 11:03 AM
    Do yourself a favour, get the moto x style, it's one helluva phone for the money..
    02-23-16 12:09 PM
    Wait until bloggers post their at least two weeks daily driver experiences before making any decision. For me I am curious about the battery life of S7 edge.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    02-23-16 01:22 PM
    Are you prepared to compromise on security updates? If no, the S7 is out. Samsung still on December or November patch. BlackBerry is leading for timely updates.
    02-23-16 09:13 PM
    i'm in a similar situation - i'm given the choice of an S7 or Priv... and i'm sticking with BB. Plus, i need the hub... i get close to a thousand emails a day on top of the texts and bbm messages. BB has always been a work horse for me (except for maybe my z10 which couldn't make it through the day).
    02-23-16 10:22 PM
    Why do you feel the Samsung is not a good work phone?
    It's not that Samsung aren't good phones, they are. It's just that in terms of build quality, camera, battery life etc, there's better phones out there. If it's Android you want and you don't require a physical keyboard but obviously as it's a work phone, you want speedy updates or at least prompt security patches, a Nexus 6p would probably be better. For camera, go with Sony Xperia Z5, for speakers, HTC are probably leading the pack there at the moment. in my opinion Samsung make good all rounders but i've had a few and they don't like to be dropped whereas the xperia phones i've had have stood up to a battering very well. If productivity on the fly is your thing, the Note range are very good devices though with good battery life and a nice large crisp display. If it's too big though, go with something else. If budget is important, you could do a lot worse than the OnePlus 2. Honestly, they're all Android so there's too much choice but seriously, i've had a few Sammys and if the USB port doesn't fail on you, the screen will end up damaged. They are good phones, but you have to look at everything and I don't like the build quality. Or Touchwiz.

02-24-16 12:09 AM
    I had the priv and I found the pkb was ok but very small in the end due to this and other issues I went back to my passport and classic the pkb on these two phones knocks the socks off the priv .it all is going to depend on what you want and need from a phone ,for me I had the priv from day one and I did not like it (its not a proper blackberry imo) you may find you get on with it give it a go
    02-24-16 12:32 AM
    I know what you feel OP to justify paying the same price for worse specs but it will all come down to whether you need the physical keyboard or not and whether TouchWiz is tolerable to you. Despite the s7 having a smaller battery its cpu is more power efficient as well as its screen with the latest and greatest tech so the battery life gap will probably not be large at all. All the BlackBerry android apps can be sideloaded. It's a difficult decision no doubt. Priv is unique no doubt but after the new phones unveiling at mwc it really needs a price drop to compete.
    02-24-16 01:12 AM
    See what's supported by your work. For MobileIron doesn't install so I can't use Note 5.

BlackBerry PRIV works but with limitations. The other issue is, even after getting used to the PKB (I actually loved it), the phone gets hot enough after typing long emails and doing other tasks.

So yeah, make sure you do your homework from usage and work point of view

02-24-16 03:29 AM
    Motorola RAZR. It's pretty much the perfect excuse for never replying to work emails.
    02-24-16 04:08 AM
    I find my Priv EXCELLENT for work, far superior than my Passport or other Blackberry phones. I regularly type much longer emails much faster in meetings than other individuals in the room on Samsungs or iPhone. I have never wished for more speed etc, the Priv is very snappy for work and of course on Android no longer have the app concerns.

Once you get used to the keyboard (1-2 weeks) you will be flying and not regret it at all!

The combo of PKB + Android is a killer combo for those of us at large corps.

texn884 likes this.
    02-24-16 04:21 AM
    FYI, the LGG5 will have the ability to attach a HiFi DAC to the phone if audio is a big thing for you.
    02-24-16 11:57 AM
    Priv. Faster processor on s7 means little difference in real life. You will see no difference. Plus Samsung needs faster CPU to handle power hungry touchwiz

Sorry, but that's definitely not very accurate. The Galaxy S6 EDGE+ is already decidedly zippier in everyday use than the Priv, but the S7 and S7 EDGE are in an entirely different ballpark. They beat the Nexus 6P by quite a margin in benchmarks. And TouchWiz has long been slimmed down. That plus 4G of RAM and the fastest mobile processor available makes the S7 range the fastest phones money can buy.
    02-24-16 02:18 PM
94 123 ...