Just been at the BlackBerry stand @ IT-SA and have been told that the second generation of the Priv will provide the choice of operating systems .

Unfortunately there is no timeframe he could tell me, just that the Roadmap sees both OS in the portfolio longer term.

Hope this info helps a little...

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 05:59 AM
    I won't get my expectation high..
    10-06-15 06:03 AM
    We will see. While I wouldn't mind the option it seems the consensus is they can't if they wanna be in OHA

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix News C003BA5E3 *-*
    10-06-15 06:13 AM
    We will see. While I wouldn't mind the option it seems the consensus is they can't if they wanna be in OHA

They can as long as it's one or the other,.. and it has no runtime.

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve, JeepBB, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    10-06-15 06:16 AM
    The big if is that there will be a second generation.

Given how much the people around here hate it, there won't even be a second generation and this Priv will be such a big flop.

(/s)
    10-06-15 06:23 AM
    Sorry but BB10 is pretty much dead. Priv success will mean more Android devices not loss-making BB10.
    extisis, dracolnyte and rai187 like this.
    10-06-15 06:57 AM
    By the time it is out, the spec would already be outdated.

Why can't they just flash the OS in it? How much more will it cost them to manufacture it like that?

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-06-15 07:09 AM
    Second generation Priv? That seems ambitious IMHO considering we don't have a firm release date or even pricing for the first generation.

And the pessimist in me suggests that based on past experience, the only killer feature of the 'second generation' will be that it comes in a shiny new colour.
    10-06-15 07:19 AM
    Not sure it's reasonable...
    I would prefer BB10 version, but without formal information, I will not wait for
    10-06-15 07:23 AM
    Priv with BB10? Highly unlikely.

*C5303
    10-06-15 08:23 AM
    With only 800k units sold in the last qtr, I highly doubt they are making another BB10 device. It's currently just not profitable. If the Android Priv sells well, you can probably pretty much say bye to new BB10 phones for the most part.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-06-15 08:24 AM

I am going to save my long winded rant this time to only say that there is no longer a use for the OHA considering the immense popularity of Android over the last few years; some of the top handset makers have been wanting out for a few years now; these same OEMs are not contributing to AOSP to save their own would-be proprietary code for their own future fragmentations of Android; European Commission is conducting an investigation to see if Google violates any anti-trust laws by forcing members to adopt GApps; the FCC has now begun the same investigation; and a few others.

GApps was always a separate deal made directly between Google and the OEM, anyways, and never really had anything to do with the actual OHA "rules" to begin with.

With that, the BlackBerry - Google partnership was announced in July 2015 and yet the Slider was first shown during MWC 2015, which took place in March. I think it is safe to say that conceptually what has now become known as the Priv began life as a planned BB10. I'll bet everything blindly on the "fact" that with the 10.3.3 BB10 update coming March 2016 we will find files that indicate 10.3.3 will run on the Priv or a Priv-like device.

Also in July 2015 Chen told Fox Business that he only plans on releasing one, maybe two, handsets per year in order to shift resources to the software side; so it is plausible that a BB10 "Priv" with or without ART will be released later in 2016.

The only reason why everyone is saying that there will not be a BB10 version of the Priv is because there has been no leaks of one. This is partially because because leaks seem to have been everything in the past and has become a sort of "leaks or it did not happen" thing with BB diehards. Then again perhaps the leaker[s] have since left BlackBerry?

Besides, even if BB is now a member of the OHA and they removed ART from a future "Priv 2" those ART files are well documented and saved around these parts... A user installing the runtime on their own should not violate the OHA or Google "rules" considering that Google allows endusers to ultimately root and remove GMS from the phone, anyways.
    10-06-15 08:27 AM
    Not going to happen.
    10-06-15 08:29 AM
    Geez.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-06-15 08:56 AM
    Oh yeah, that's nothing!

I heard the 3rd generation Priv will triple boot with BB10/Android/BBOS.
    10-06-15 08:57 AM
    Not going to happen.
    It is highly unlikely.

But I think it's safe to say that no one knows what's going to happen in the next six months.

If the Priv sells extremely well also highly unlikely Then BB10 is done. BlackBerry is a SW company more than a HW company. They need to take the hits / loses in any immidiate 2 years + future.

For Me I'm going to keep my Z30 till at least March. By then we'll see Qualcomms 820 chip anyway with 27% faster charging. The Priv is not yet here anyways...
    z3user likes this.
    10-06-15 09:00 AM
    I think the issue is drivers for new chips and other hardware, which are developed by manufacturers for Android but which BlackBerry would have to invest in for BB10.

No drivers, no OS on new hardware platforms. This also explains the dearth of new hardware for BB10 even before the Priv/Android decision.

I would rather lose all Android app support than BB10, as I care about core communication functionality, not apps. I'd rather use a full featured tablet running Windows 10 Pro for "apps.". But I'm still in the minority.

If there really are no more BB10 phones, I'll buy a cheap used Passport and run it into the ground over the next three years on BB10 until BlackBerry stops support for its die-hard Enterprise customers. And I'll spend the extra $$ on a top of the line Surface Pro 3.

Posted via CB10
    z3user likes this.
    10-06-15 09:19 AM
    Unless of course releasing a BB10 Priv was always Chens master plan. But not made public for now, cos reasons. So yeah.....we have that.
    sirius27 likes this.
    10-06-15 09:32 AM
    Wow! Thanks! That is a good news! Waiting for it....

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 09:32 AM
    I think the issue is drivers for new chips and other hardware, which are developed by manufacturers for Android but which BlackBerry would have to invest in for BB10.

No drivers, no OS on new hardware platforms. This also explains the dearth of new hardware for BB10 even before the Priv/Android decision.

I would rather lose all Android app support than BB10, as I care about core communication functionality, not apps. I'd rather use a full featured tablet running Windows 10 Pro for "apps.". But I'm still in the minority.

If there really are no more BB10 phones, I'll buy a cheap used Passport and run it into the ground over the next three years on BB10 until BlackBerry stops support for its die-hard Enterprise customers. And I'll spend the extra $$ on a top of the line Surface Pro 3.

Posted via CB10
    Here's what I don't understand it takes one skilled hardware engineer knowing the Hardware (so no reverse engineering) to write drivers. Of cause the price goes up if no Hardware is sold. But with Both Android and BB10 being Nix* It seems more like a welcome exsuse
    10-06-15 09:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    You could install BB10 onto the Priv right out of the box. You could also put BB10 onto an iPhone if you wanted. But just because you can install does not mean it would run. You are correct, the issue would be with the drivers as BB10 10.3.X or whatever would need the drivers for say the Snapdragon 808s.

However the drivers come from the OEM and are typically developed as encouragement to use their particular piece of hardware. So either Qualcomm would deliver the drivers to Blackberry or only the code for BlackBerry to mod onto BB10 (which should take like a day). The investment on BBs part would be very minimal.

Or, someone else could do it. I mean, if politely asked around on XDA.....
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    10-06-15 09:46 AM
    BB10 priv does exist, Chen has used one. This is why he attempted gestures in that infamous news demo video.
    10-06-15 09:47 AM
    It's dead Jim
    10-06-15 09:48 AM
    Wow! Thanks! That is a good news! Waiting for it....

"I read it on the internet. It has to be true."
    Velocitymj likes this.
    10-06-15 11:45 AM
    I can top them all, the Priv4 will add UCSD p-System support, which will make hundreds of time tested applications available

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 12:19 PM
94 123 ...