I just feel that by DISABLING unecessary process that my phone is lasting better, less heat, less batterie usage etc... not sure in the end if it really changes anything.
    12-15-16 04:10 PM
    Is there a good replacement for the Google reminder / to do ?

I tried OK Google today to add a reminder and it said I needed to give Google permission first to all sorts of things including my contacts., chrome pages visited, searches etc.
    12-15-16 04:56 PM
    ToDoIst or Wunderlist both do what you want.

Here is ToDoIst permission list :
    Network communication (ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE, INTERNET, BILLING)
    Used to communicate with Todoist’s servers, check internet availability before attempting to use it, and handle in-app Premium upgrades.

Storage (READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE)
    Used to store collaborator avatars, media thumbnails and attachment files, avoiding unnecessary bandwidth usage.

Your accounts (GET_ACCOUNTS, MANAGE_ACCOUNTS, USE_CREDENTIALS)
    Used to verify your email address with Google when logging in and signing up using a Google Account. In case no Google Account is present, Android might prompt you to add one.

Affects battery (VIBRATE, WAKE_LOCK)
    Used to enable phone vibration on reminder notifications, and to support push notifications via Google Cloud Messaging.

Run at startup (RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED)
    Used to schedule reminders and start services in the background, like services related with widgets, the service related with the “quick add task” feature, the service related with the “daily review” feature, or the service related with pending file uploads.

Your location (ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION, ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION)
    Used to create and monitor geofences when there are active location reminders.

Microphone (RECORD_AUDIO)
    Used to record voice messages which can be attached to tasks as sound fil
    12-15-16 05:24 PM
    Is there a good replacement for the Google reminder / to do ?

I tried OK Google today to add a reminder and it said I needed to give Google permission first to all sorts of things including my contacts., chrome pages visited, searches etc.
    Is BlackBerry Tasks insufficient for you?
    12-15-16 06:26 PM
    I find it somewhat amusing the paranoia... I don't care a whit about Google being secure in the knowledge:

1) Google has no reason to single me out due to my complete insignificance on this earth,

2) anything so private as to be unthinkable to reveal never will be on my phone.

Security, done...
    Perfectly said.
    12-15-16 10:57 PM
    Perhaps because someone/something else keeps track of everything they do.
    Correct...all the google apps are replaced by chinese apps. E.g. google-baidu, youtube-youku, twitter-weibo etc...Party doesn't want you to know the outside world only our INTRANET lol...
    12-16-16 03:42 AM
    Correct...all the google apps are replaced by chinese apps. E.g. google-baidu, youtube-youku, twitter-weibo etc...Party doesn't want you to know the outside world only our INTRANET lol...
    Are you from China? I guess you can get to the outside world - like Crackberry!
    12-16-16 08:18 AM
    Are you from China? I guess you can get to the outside world - like Crackberry!
    I'm Chinese but I live in South Africa lol... I'm free.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-16-16 11:26 PM
    I'm Chinese but I live in South Africa lol... I'm free.
    Good going and enjoy that freedom.
    12-17-16 12:20 AM
    I think so, but you are more than entitled to be.

I'm the opposite. I'm exploring how Google integration can assist me in my daily life. Haven't found anything intrusive so far.
    I'm in the same boat. I never thought I would be one to use android pay but really close to activating. I don't mind the tracking and all that, often helpful rather than an annoyance.

I've disabled most notifications across the apps but other than that I'm golden.
    12-17-16 10:56 AM
    Hello,

I just found Yalp Store on f-droid which is amazing.

Kr,
    Moo
    05-18-17 05:25 AM
    Here's an exhaustive list of what I have removed and what I use to replace. Go to settings : apps (make sure to hit 3 dots and show system)

Android pay
    Chrome : firefox
    Docs,slides, sheets : used microsoft... maybe not better
    Drive : dropbox
    Finances
    Gmail
    Google account manager
    Google app
    Google backup transport
    Google calender sync
    Google contacs sync
    All the weird langage inputs
    Google ont time Init
    Google partner setup
    Google play/movie
    Google play/music
    Photos : piktures
    Messenger : textra
    Talkback.
    Funnily enough a lot of these I've disabled on my 60 and use other apps that have saved me from giving more info to Google. And the 60 is super fast with amazing battery life. It was great to start with but is now better.
    05-18-17 05:52 AM
    I second Osmand.

I also suggest Simple Gallery for pictures. It is a small app similar to the BB10 native pictures app.
    all from F-droid which for Osmand has the benefit of unlimited off-line maps.
    05-18-17 08:27 AM
    I know, but the purpose is to have the best physical keyboard phone ever with strong specs. Priv is the best for that. I just don't like to know google, they keep a list of everything you do and visit, etc...when I log into a work computer on google and I see all the stores I have visited last week, kinda defeits the purpose of PRIVacy, no ?

Am I being parano?

I disabled like 15-20 google process /apps. My phone is blazing fast find.
    If you are concerned about privacy are you using a VPN service on your BlackBerry smartphone? You can combine a VPN service such as NordVPN with a non-tracking search engine service such as https://www.startpage.com to reduce your digital footprints. By the way the VPN service that I mentioned does not keep any log files so even if law enforcement requests logs of your activity, there are no such files on their servers.
    05-18-17 11:32 AM
    So after you removed everything Google on your Android phone, you are basically left with a BB keyboard phone.

There is a name for phones like that. You did not have to go through all that trouble.

I think they are called Passport or something weird. An oddly shaped phone.
    BB10 devices are no exactly the same because:
    OS is not updated, Native browser is too old, the android runtime is 4.3

Any other android device could be an alternative:
    Probably even can be rooted or cyanogenmod be installed
    BUT there is not physical keyboard devices in the market.

So Priv and keyone are still an option even for those who don't like to use all the Google intrusive software

Posted via CB10
    09-05-17 09:57 AM
40 12