The other day I was on my phone on the web and I got a ransomware notice on my S7 Edge, I was wondering if anyone got that on their Priv or does the D-Tek notify you at first?
    07-13-16 03:50 AM
    I use both the PRIV and S7edge and have never had that. Actually I've never had that on my computer or any phone. Usually people get those types of things from going to "bad" sites. Not that I'm judging at all. If you don't mind saying what kind of site or sites did the come from?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-13-16 04:17 AM
    Ransomware is sadly no longer only in the realm of going to bad sites or clicking on bad links. There are some that actually require no user interaction whatsoever, but of the currently known ones, none seem to be able to affect the Priv due to lack of root access. Basically, as long as you keep your device up to date, you should be safe, but at the end of the day, accessing fishy links or strange websites you're not used to, especially if they come in SMS or emails from contacts you've never seen before, is a potential recipe for disaster. The best security comes from being vigilant, not from some app.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-13-16 07:59 AM
    Ransomware is sadly no longer only in the realm of going to bad sites or clicking on bad links. There are some that actually require no user interaction whatsoever, but of the currently known ones, none seem to be able to affect the Priv due to lack of root access. Basically, as long as you keep your device up to date, you should be safe, but at the end of the day, accessing fishy links or strange websites you're not used to, especially if they come in SMS or emails from contacts you've never seen before, is a potential recipe for disaster. The best security comes from being vigilant, not from some app.
    Actually if those ransomware writers actually manage to root the Priv, I ain't even mad. That's amazing.

1. Grab the malware code
    2. Head over to XDA
    3. Collect root bounty
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT
    07-13-16 08:15 AM
    Actually if those ransomware writers actually manage to root the Priv, I ain't even mad. That's amazing.

1. Grab the malware code
    2. Head over to XDA
    3. Collect root bounty
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT
    Thats one way to look at it
    I wouldn't have a clue how to even start to get the code, so I'd just be ticked off.
    It's not something I'm going to dwell on for more than half a second after I hit the post button here,
    07-13-16 09:04 AM
    Haha, an amusing idea, but sadly unlikely. When I say that these malware kits are rooting devices, they're leveraging known exploits to gain root on devices that aren't already rooted. Since to date, any known exploits are almost immediately patched for the Priv, they're out of luck on that front. And, even if they did manage to gain root, it would be a temp one, since the root of trust would just remove the su binary necessary after a reboot anyway.
    07-13-16 09:52 AM
    technically you dont need root access so yes its possible. You can cause plenty of havoc with no need to for root. Root makes it more fun and harder to get rid of but its not needed. And that is malware in general not just ransomware.

To many people on this forum think that because the Priv is not rootable its magically protected from everything and that is certainly not true. The only thing that really will protect you is always watch what permissions are granted for apps. You slip up once with an untrusted app and give it permissions it needs and it will do its thing and the priv cant stop it.
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-14-16 at 06:07 PM.
    FF22, jegs2, anon(9742832) and 4 others like this.
    07-13-16 10:00 AM
    While on Madeira Island (Portuguese) almost everyone in our group got a popup - 'infected - press here to fix' prompt box. It was always in a browser and you had to kill the browser to get rid of it. It happened on my Priv, other android devices and Iphones and ipads. It was probably associated with the hotel's wifi system. No one was really infected but there was concern.
    07-13-16 11:11 AM
    I've seen it happen a couple of times. And both times it was just a scam/phishing tactic popup that generated the information based on your browser's Usesr Agent string.

Usually it says something to the effect of "We've detected your Samsung device has been infected with <insert virus name here>. Click Here immediately to install the fix or you'll be permanently locked out of your device." Then anybody duped by the scam will "Click Here" and start the process of "installing a fix" that is really installing a malicious app.
    07-13-16 11:27 AM
    technically you dont need root access so yes its possible. You can cause plenty of havoc with no need to for root. Root makes it more fun and harder to get rid of but its not needed. And that is not malware in general not just ransomware.

To many people on this forum think that because the Priv is not rootable its magically protected from everything and that is certainly not true. The only thing that really will protect you is always watch what permissions are granted for apps. You slip up once with an untrusted app and give it permissions it needs and it will do its thing and the priv cant stop it.
    Completely agreed with this. The problem is that while yes, the Priv -does- have a bit more resistance to 'bad stuff' than other Android devices, it isn't so much as to be a fortress of solitude. But, people who don't know better latch on to the factoids that they can digest, and in this case, it's the factoid that the Priv is "more secure". Without any point of reference, that factoid can be taken almost any way you like, and that's where people are getting these bad ideas from.
    07-13-16 03:53 PM
    I had a virus warning pop up on my Z10. I ignored it

Posted via CB10
    07-13-16 07:56 PM
    so the D-Tek does not detect it?
    07-14-16 02:05 AM
    so the D-Tek does not detect it?
    At some point it should. But when you get a browser pop up enticing you to "click here", there is nothing to detect.
    The best anti-virus sits above your neck.
    07-14-16 05:27 AM
    At some point it should. But when you get a browser pop up enticing you to "click here", there is nothing to detect.
    The best anti-virus sits above your neck.
    Yup.

As DenverRalphy aluded to a few posts earlier; phishing scams/social engineering are probably the biggest danger these days. If you get fooled into installing something malicious it won't really matter what BlackBerry has done to improve the security on the device. If you let it in, it'll get into something before you realize what's happening and rip it out (if you can).
    FF22 and DenverRalphy like this.
    07-14-16 07:54 AM
    technically you dont need root access so yes its possible. You can cause plenty of havoc with no need to for root. Root makes it more fun and harder to get rid of but its not needed. And that is not malware in general not just ransomware.

One last thought, if it looks to good to be true............it usually is...........................FREE is not always the way to go................
    07-14-16 09:16 AM
    Ransomwares are a real threat. Once it happens it would be one of your biggest "Oh ****!" moments.

Please be careful. And backup.
    07-14-16 01:46 PM
    If you let it in, it'll get into something before you realize what's happening and rip it out (if you can).
    Yes. It's like spending huge money to replace the front door of your house with a vault door and a reinforced door frame, only to leave the door standing open all the time. Even the thickest, strongest door with the most sophisticated lock won't keep bad people out if you never shut and lock the door, or if you open the door and let any random person inside...
    07-15-16 12:09 AM