Can the blackberry priv verizon be used on GSM networks also similar to the sta100-3 z30?????

Forgiven
    12-03-16 07:59 PM
    https://www.verizon.com/smartphones/blackberry-priv/
    There is a locked Verizon Priv, but unlocked models won't work.

Edit: Oops, misread question. Correct answer below.
    12-03-16 08:24 PM
    The verizon Priv is locked on Verizon. Won't even work on other CDMA carriers
    12-03-16 08:25 PM
    Cool man thanks for the info was kinda hoping it would work similar to the z30 maybe in the future of BB

Forgiven
    12-03-16 08:26 PM
    Actually, the Verizon Priv is NOT locked in the traditional sense. It can be used in Europe on gsm networks for example with foreign sim cards.
    12-03-16 09:05 PM
    Good to know interesting

Forgiven
    12-03-16 09:15 PM
    Actually, only CDMA is locked to Verizon, GSM is unlocked to work on other GSM networks.
    12-03-16 11:01 PM
    Actually, only CDMA is locked to Verizon, GSM is unlocked to work on other GSM networks.
    I have not tried moving my Tmobile sim to the Verizon Priv.
    12-03-16 11:27 PM
    If you get a chance if you could try it and let me know that would be great news

Forgiven
    12-03-16 11:51 PM
    If you get a chance if you could try it and let me know that would be great news

Forgiven
    Well, I won't be doing that again!! Those darn thin, sim card trays and tiny sim cards. Falls out of tray and lands on floor. Grabbing the little thin bugger.... (mumble, mumble....)

Okay, I'm stalling... (drum roll, please)

It worked. Actually, the first call I made congratulated me on my first wifi call. Turned off wifi and dialed again. It also succeeded. To clarify, this was my Verizon Priv using a T-mobile sim card.

BUT let me add, I promise nothing for anyone else.

Also, be aware, you can generally get better pricing buying NON-Verizon Privs from other places. ShopBB just had a really good price, I think, about $300.00.

Now to deal with swapping those damn thin trays....

edited to add: Following on Wezard's Reply 11, why would you want to use the Verizon Priv on a gsm carrier? If you got a great deal, maybe that would be the reason.
    Last edited by FF22; 12-04-16 at 09:54 AM.
    12-04-16 09:38 AM
    All the Priv's have the same GSM frequencies, and the same 3G frequencies and bands, the Verizon, -2 version has Verizons CDMA freq's but is severely limited on LTE band/freq's.
    There is a freq/band chart here
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ncies-1043968/
    If you're planning on acquiring the Verizon version for use on TMo, I wouldn't. It may work sometimes, some places.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-04-16 09:47 AM
    Ah ok was kinda trying to prevent having to buy two phones I plan on moving to verizon next year

Forgiven
    12-04-16 11:47 AM
    I plan on moving to verizon next year
    Why on earth would you wanna do that?
    DaBomb6988 and tp0d like this.
    12-04-16 01:03 PM
    Why on earth would you wanna do that?
    While they are not the most customer friendly, attentive carrier, they still do have the best coverage in the US. I recently proved that while in and around Sedona. My Verizon Priv had service while my ShopBB with Tmobile sim did not. Even at the resort, one of the desk staff noted that Verizon had service whereas his tmobile and fellow staff with AT&T did not or, at best, spotty service.
    Wezard likes this.
    12-04-16 04:05 PM
    That's my reason for going to switch eventually just gotta get through Christmas season

Forgiven
    FF22 likes this.
    12-04-16 06:34 PM
    Well, I won't be doing that again!! Those darn thin, sim card trays and tiny sim cards. Falls out of tray and lands on floor. Grabbing the little thin bugger.... (mumble, mumble....)

Okay, I'm stalling... (drum roll, please)

It worked. Actually, the first call I made congratulated me on my first wifi call. Turned off wifi and dialed again. It also succeeded. To clarify, this was my Verizon Priv using a T-mobile sim card.

BUT let me add, I promise nothing for anyone else.

Also, be aware, you can generally get better pricing buying NON-Verizon Privs from other places. ShopBB just had a really good price, I think, about $300.00.

Now to deal with swapping those damn thin trays....

edited to add: Following on Wezard's Reply 11, why would you want to use the Verizon Priv on a gsm carrier? If you got a great deal, maybe that would be the reason.
    Looking into it cuz I love to keep me bound to one carrier and have the option to switch back and forth like say when tmobile gives away stuff for switching no but really just want something that will work now on tmobile and later on verizon

Forgiven
    FF22 likes this.
    12-05-16 07:02 PM
    Don't want to be bound

Forgiven
    12-05-16 07:02 PM
    Don't want to be bound
    You might be SOL for the next couple of years. Verizon should be away from CDMA in the not to distant future. But then I don't know what LTE bands they will be using. It's a whole lot cheaper and easier for manufacturers to make devices capable of multi bands/freq's on the same technology than it is for competing tech on same phone.

BTW, I'll throw jabs at Verizon and AT&T, I would do for TMo, but at the moment, they are hustling so hard and fast, I've paused. Sprint is in such bad shape I'd feel like a bully picking on them. I'm on AT&T, but only because I've got such a sweet grandfathered plan, nobody else can touch it. Though I just saw my latest bill, (on bank bill pay, so no details) and it was up about $16.00, so that may change.

It was $21 more, a 40 minute call to BB HQ trying to get to the bottom of BB's warranty fiasco. I didn't know calling Canada was so expensive, (I'm in US).
    Last edited by Wezard; 12-06-16 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Bill Explanation
    12-06-16 06:14 AM
    You might be SOL for the next couple of years. Verizon should be away from CDMA in the not to distant future. But then I don't know what LTE bands they will be using. It's a whole lot cheaper and easier for manufacturers to make devices capable of multi bands/freq's on the same technology than it is for competing tech on same phone.
    I picked on that phrase for only one reason and you may not know the answer as it is more technical. This just occurred to me:

Will the end of cdma change Verizon's pretty reasonable coverage in places like Sedona, Arizona and other more remote desert southwest locations? That is, is their good coverage based on the type of signal as opposed to how many towers they might have in an area? Does cdma travel further or deal with obstacles better?
    12-06-16 09:12 AM
    When CDMA was analog, it had a much further range. Then it went digital, with analog as a fall back. I'm pretty sure it's been 100% digital for quite a few years now.
    If I'm remembering correctly, the power is the biggest impact on distance, since the power is regulated and limited by FCC, the frequency would be the determining factor. Can't remember what happens in perfect line of sight, but in hills, mountains and valleys, and of course city's, the lower freq's carry better, and for longer distances.
    I'm sure it's more involved than that, but thats all I can remember.
    Very rough rule of thumb, a cell tower is good for about a 5 mile radius.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-06-16 10:50 AM
    I used my Verizon PRIV this summer in Romania with both a T-Mobile Sim and a Vodafone prepaid sim, I had 4GLTE in Constanta and up around Cincu and 3G on VodafoneRO. I did nothing to the phone but switch SIMs and network technology to WorldGSM. WiFi calling even worked when I had the T-Mobile sim in.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-06-16 11:24 AM
    Yea so I think I'm going to get me a verizon priv

Forgiven
    12-06-16 11:34 AM
    I used my Verizon PRIV this summer in Romania with both a T-Mobile Sim and a Vodafone prepaid sim, I had 4GLTE in Constanta and up around Cincu and 3G on VodafoneRO. I did nothing to the phone but switch SIMs and network technology to WorldGSM. WiFi calling even worked when I had the T-Mobile sim in.
    Thanks. Very good information on how well the Verizon Priv can deal with "foreign" sims and signals. Thanks for sharing.
    12-06-16 12:20 PM
    Hmm, interesting. I went to Verizon and looked around and they were saying they used some verification tech so Verizon phones only work on Verizon. I guess it's just that they block unlocked CDMA phones from going to Verizon.
    12-06-16 02:00 PM
    Hmm, interesting. I went to Verizon and looked around and they were saying they used some verification tech so Verizon phones only work on Verizon. I guess it's just that they block unlocked CDMA phones from going to Verizon.
    Yes, you can probably "take" a Verizon phone elsewhere but you canNOT take another phone to Verizon (although, I thought someone mentioned that there are exceptions - like maybe the new Pixel can be purchased from Google and used on Verizon????? And maybe some others)
    12-06-16 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD