As I wrote 4 posts above: BB is aware and will take care (presumably before Sept.) cause their "most secure Androiddevice" is also affected.

Others seem to get same standard text:
    https://m.reddit.com/r/blackberry/co...t&compact=true

Until then keep calm and don't install wicked PokeGo companion apps... popping up after August 5th.
    08-08-16 05:51 PM
    As I wrote 4 posts above: BB is aware and will take care (presumably before Sept.) cause their "most secure Androiddevice" is also affected.

Others seem to get same standard text:
    https://m.reddit.com/r/blackberry/co...t&compact=true

Until then keep calm and don't install wicked PokeGo companion apps... popping up after August 5th.
    Smart use will protect any phone..............if it looks to good to be true.........................guess what...............you know the rest.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    08-08-16 06:45 PM
    Hmm... I wonder how many people have run the check, then tapped "Get ZoneAlarm Protection" conveniently placed at the bottom of the results screen?
    Why? It's completely free for 30 days.
    08-08-16 10:42 PM
    Smart use will protect any phone..............if it looks to good to be true.........................guess what...............you know the rest.
    Too good to be true (you used to in two different meanings).
    08-08-16 10:43 PM
    Hmm... I wonder how many people have run the check, then tapped "Get ZoneAlarm Protection" conveniently placed at the bottom of the results screen?
    After looking at the number of poor ratings and reading some of them, I decided ZoneAlarm was not helpful in this circumstance.
    08-09-16 02:27 AM
    Nothing wrong with my Passport )
    FF22 likes this.
    08-09-16 02:49 AM
    08-09-16 03:36 AM
    The news has been in headlines in todays newspapers in UAE as well.
    Are 900m Qualcomm-powered Android devices at risk? - Khaleej Times
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    08-09-16 04:14 AM
    Now BlackBerry could release some statement to use the media coverage and at least get those Aug patches out to all users
    My August patches arrived on 8th August.
    08-09-16 04:19 AM
    Can someone explain to me why BlackBerry cannot push security updates to Verizon and AT&T phones outside of the carrier update process? I'm really curious whether that is a matter of comity or if it is just impossible. Because it seems that in order to meet the promises BlackBerry made with regard to the new devices, it is going to have to get security updates to users, regardless of carrier.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-09-16 07:15 AM
    Too good to be true (you used to in two different meanings).
    I hate spell spell and grammar check....
    Mecca EL and IndianTiwari like this.
    08-09-16 07:49 AM
    Can someone explain to me why BlackBerry cannot push security updates to Verizon and AT&T phones outside of the carrier update process? I'm really curious whether that is a matter of comity or if it is just impossible. Because it seems that in order to meet the promises BlackBerry made with regard to the new devices, it is going to have to get security updates to users, regardless of carrier.

Early on Blackberry indicated that they did have the ability to bypass the carrier, but it's never actually happened. They likely don't want to do it too often, so they are holding the big gun for really bad vulnerabilities, say a remote one that is able to root it with no user interaction.

The Qualcomm quadrooter doesn't fall into that category. Someone has to have physical access to your device and purposefully want to root you. There are multiple safeguards on by default that will prevent these from affecting devices, even in stock Android.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-09-16 08:26 AM
    Please no facts here, this is crackberry.
    Mecca EL, KemKev, Wezard and 1 others like this.
    08-09-16 08:41 AM
    why this afects even BB priv why ???its bad extremelly bad reputational .... I mean ...
    Now what blackberry have to say about these news out there !??????
    08-09-16 03:59 PM
    Update: Google has confirmed that Verify Apps can detect and block QuadRooter.

In that case, are you still "vulnerable?" Well technically. You could conceivably go to Security settings, enable Unknown Sources, then ignore the full-screen warning that you're about to install malware and disable yet another security setting elsewhere. But at that point, to a large extent, it's on you.

Above copied from Android Central - And right on the money.
    08-09-16 04:53 PM
    Closed for review
    08-09-16 05:18 PM
    [WARN]Time for the bickering to stop. Discuss or debate, but skip the personal comments![/WARN]

/open
    gizmo21 likes this.
    08-09-16 05:27 PM
    Early on Blackberry indicated that they did have the ability to bypass the carrier, but it's never actually happened. They likely don't want to do it too often, so they are holding the big gun for really bad vulnerabilities, say a remote one that is able to root it with no user interaction.

The Qualcomm quadrooter doesn't fall into that category. Someone has to have physical access to your device and purposefully want to root you. There are multiple safeguards on by default that will prevent these from affecting devices, even in stock Android.
    Thanks for the explanation. I really didn't know. I sort of wish they would just open the floodgates and give me those zero day updates.

I'm not worried about quadroot. Or Isis. If they want to get me, bring it on. The fact that I don't download from unknown sources and don't travel outside of my East Texas city offers some protection from both.

08-09-16 07:26 PM
    Thanks for the explanation. I really didn't know. I sort of wish they would just open the floodgates and give me those zero day updates.

I'm not worried about quadroot. Or Isis. If they want to get me, bring it on. The fact that I don't download from unknown sources and don't travel outside of my East Texas city offers some protection from both.

You are right on many points, since you keep your phone secure it will be........as for Texas are you guys still in the Union.........LOL
    FF22 and IndianTiwari like this.
    08-09-16 07:50 PM
    Hahaha. Good point. I may be at risk then.

08-09-16 09:28 PM
    Hahaha. Good point. I may be at risk then.

Woof!
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    08-10-16 07:19 PM
    What a mess BlackBerry has gotten themselves in with Android. I guess a Samsung Note is more secure than the PRIV.

Now for sure, BlackBerry doesn't differentiate themselves from anyone else.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-16 08:30 AM
    This loophole they're talking about is just a hoax. They want to make money on their "antivirus" software. Why would they first find something related to Qualcomm processors (not to Android itself, because Android secured this loophole) and provide a "solution" right away?

Android secured this loophole in v. 4.3.

No need to worry, it's just a bad PR. There is no way someone can use this loophole to hack a Priv.

There isn't any update coming, because it's a hoax.
    08-12-16 10:40 AM
    This loophole they're talking about is just a hoax. They want to make money on their "antivirus" software. Why would they first find something related to Qualcomm processors (not to Android itself, because Android secured this loophole) and provide a "solution" right away?

Android secured this loophole in v. 4.3.

No need to worry, it's just a bad PR. There is no way someone can use this loophole to hack a Priv.

There isn't any update coming, because it's a hoax.
    I don't see it that way. Google has protections against this with Verify Apps yes. Would that have always detected the issue, or did Google add detection for these after it was reported? I think it's the latter.

While I do think it's overall blown out of proportion, it does need fixing. And unfortunately, many devices will never get the fixes and will have to rely on Verify Apps and the Play Store.

Personally, I'd rather have the vulnerability no longer exist.
    FF22 and gizmo21 like this.
    08-12-16 12:43 PM
    Great point - thanks.
    08-13-16 02:59 PM
61 123