View Poll Results: Poll: Pure BB10 vs Android for BlackBerry from now on

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pure BB10 without Android Runtime

6 42.86%
  • Android

8 57.14%
    Admirable that so many are defending BB10 and claiming that there's no need for Chendroid

If it comes down to it, and you'd have to choose one OS for BlackBerry from now on, which would you choose?
    1) Pure BB10 without Android Runtime or
    2) Android with BlackBerry Experience Suite Apps
    And why?

If you choose pure BB10, what would you do about the app gap? Because that's the biggest gripe the general consumer
    08-23-15 11:57 AM
    I personally don't think one can answer this cut and dry. BlackBerry are looking at the future and trying to save the business. With that, Android just might be the answer.

I personally think brilliant marketing is partly the answer. But, it is too late to try marketing BB10 now...
    Sparksx and Blacklatino like this.
    08-23-15 12:17 PM
    I would choose android version cus of the app gap...

But would definitely miss bb10 for its swipe gestures(no home button) and multitasking and keyboard ...

If GPS was allowed to bb10 and integrated nicely (android runtime in bb10.3 is good but still sucks)...then my next phone would proly be bb10

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 12:24 PM
    BB10 all the way. I have plenty of other devices for apps.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    08-23-15 12:53 PM
    I hope the android with bb10 apps has remote file access and BlackBerry remember in addition to what he's already been said it will include.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 12:58 PM
    Why only choice one?

I personally think the strategic planning within BlackBerry is to have BB10 fall back to a fleet phone lineup. A line up that Government sectors, Enterprise and anyone who has an emphasis on low cost, secure and productive communications would likely want for 100's of employees.

Were as the BlackBerry Android variety, would end up satisfying all other Government, Enterprise and Consumer facets that are looking for the latest and greatest phones and access to a mature app ecosystem. What I think is great, is that this might introduce elements of BB10 OS that other platform users never knew, we as BlackBerry 10 owners know about.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    08-23-15 01:00 PM
    If GPS was allowed to bb10 and integrated nicely (android runtime in bb10.3 is good but still sucks)...then my next phone would proly be bb10
    I didn't know that GPS was not allowed in BB10.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    08-23-15 01:27 PM
    Why only choice one?

I personally think the strategic planning within BlackBerry is to have BB10 fall back to a fleet phone lineup. A line up that Government sectors, Enterprise and anyone who has an emphasis on low cost, secure and productive communications would likely want for 100's of employees.

Were as the BlackBerry Android variety, would end up satisfying all other Government, Enterprise and Consumer facets that are looking for the latest and greatest phones and access to a mature app ecosystem. What I think is great, is that this might introduce elements of BB10 OS that other platform users never knew, we as BlackBerry 10 owners know about.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    Because sometimes I wonder how many would remain loyal to BlackBerry without the Android Runtime.
    There seems to be a lot of negativity towards Android, yet these people still rely on their Runtime LOL
    08-23-15 01:35 PM
    I would pick neither. I like my QNX based OS with Android run time.

However here is my thoughts I posted in another thread:
    Here is some other possible crackpot theory from left field. John Chen stated that he would only run Android if he could make it secure. Now that either means the have found a way to make it secure. Or is it possible that Blackberry is running a full Android GUI with a QNX backbone?

Blackberry 10 already has an Android runtime. Instead of just a runtime now make it the primary system a top QNX? And maybe they have struck a deal to incorporate google services?

Basically a QNX based Android vs a Linux based Android.

Here is another one from the bleachers. What if Android 6.0 Marshmallow is actually QNX based?

Android and the Linux foundation have had their differences and issues.

If Blackberry managed to run a secure Android using a QNX kernel while incorporating many of the feature that makes BB10 so great I would certainly be happy with that.

Having the developer support of Android is awesome. But Android as it is today has some fundamental issues I don't like. If Blackberry can fix those then I would be happy.
    Mike Owsley likes this.
    08-23-15 05:02 PM
    BB10, I can run the Droid versions of the apps I want that BBWorld doesn't have. Just say no- to Google!

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    08-23-15 07:52 PM
    Admirable that so many are defending BB10 and claiming that there's no need for Chendroid

If it comes down to it, and you'd have to choose one OS for BlackBerry from now on, which would you choose?
    1) Pure BB10 without Android Runtime or
    2) Android with BlackBerry Experience Suite Apps
    And why?

If you choose pure BB10, what would you do about the app gap? Because that's the biggest gripe the general consumer
    BB10 only. If I don't have BB10, I will probably go Windows 10. I don't like Android.
    08-23-15 07:55 PM
    Because sometimes I wonder how many would remain loyal to BlackBerry without the Android Runtime.
    There seems to be a lot of negativity towards Android, yet these people still rely on their Runtime LOL
    Big difference to run Android apps in an app runtime on BB10 vs running Android apps on an Android OS.
    08-23-15 07:57 PM
    BB10, I can run the Droid versions of the apps I want that BBWorld doesn't have. Just say no- to Google!

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    If you have a pure BB10 without Android runtime, how? A separate Google android device to run "Droid versions of the apps" you want? When you say no to Google?
    08-23-15 08:46 PM
    BB10 only. If I don't have BB10, I will probably go Windows 10. I don't like Android.
    Interesting to jump to Windows 10 since the app situation is about the same. Live tiles doesnt appeal to me, but i guess it's a matter of personal preference.

I like BB10 too. But as of now no one on this thread is able to/is coming up with solutions to solve the app gap without Android Runtime. A lot suggested throwing money at app devs to join us - but we've already done that, got rejected by some big devs and BB world failed miserably.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-23-15 08:53 PM
    Pure BlackBerry 10.
    I hate the runtime and anything from android anyway.
    I am lucky that I don't need any of the crappy android apps but I feel for those who need them.
    They should have marketed better the OS and asked from the developers to support it.
    I hope it will not die.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    SirSti23 likes this.
    08-24-15 01:17 AM
    I personally prefer BB10 but I don't blame them for going with android because they need to survive first. I hope they give us option to install either bb10 or android for slider.
    08-24-15 01:40 AM
    I didn't know that GPS was not allowed in BB10.

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    By "GPS," the poster means "Google Play Services." GPS, as in Global Positition System, is not only allowed in BB10, it has a good API and works great.
    powereds likes this.
    08-24-15 02:12 AM
    and asked from the developers to support it.
    We have already been down that road. And like I've said, it didn't work. Got rejected by devs didn't we. And the BlackBerry World is a mess now.
    08-24-15 02:53 AM
    Nah! Can't choose either, both suck. Just offer the same device with a OS of choice. BB10 as is now with android runtime or full android.
    08-24-15 03:05 AM
    I wonder why people bother to respond to this thread, just to cloud the issue with BS.

BB10 without android runtime is pretty limited.
    Use case1 - Use alongside another smartphone that has apps.
    Use case2 - Hard core fan makes due with limitations and loves it.
    Use case3 - Tin foil hat and BB10 to keep the evil away.
    Use case4 - ?

If I had to choose it would be android.
    08-24-15 08:29 AM
    I wonder why people bother to respond to this thread, just to cloud the issue with BS.

BB10 without android runtime is pretty limited.
    Use case1 - Use alongside another smartphone that has apps.
    Use case2 - Hard core fan makes due with limitations and loves it.
    Use case3 - Tin foil hat and BB10 to keep the evil away.
    Use case4 - ?

If I had to choose it would be android.
    LOL because a lot keep harping on hypervisor to handle Android Runtime and Google Play Services. Which probbaly isn't gonna happen. Sick of seeing people bash Android yet rely on their GPS
    08-24-15 11:20 AM
    Interesting to jump to Windows 10 since the app situation is about the same. Live tiles doesnt appeal to me, but i guess it's a matter of personal preference.

I like BB10 too. But as of now no one on this thread is able to/is coming up with solutions to solve the app gap without Android Runtime. A lot suggested throwing money at app devs to join us - but we've already done that, got rejected by some big devs and BB world failed miserably.
    I am not about the apps. BB10 has all the apps I need. I use my phone for productivity. I don't do iOS as it is a walled garden. I like an open platform. I just don't like Android, it is from Google and I don't like buying technology from an Advertising company. They are walling themselves in also. If there is an app I need (mostly specific to myself and the business), I just program it myself.

I write a lot of Windows program and with Windows 10 and unified apps, the apps on our Surfacce Pro 3's will be able to be transferred to Windows 10 phone. I am testing one now.

For Enterprises who have internal windows applications, Windows 10 has be an option.
    08-24-15 12:14 PM
    We have already been down that road. And like I've said, it didn't work. Got rejected by devs didn't we. And the BlackBerry World is a mess now.
    Problem is with BlackBerry's track record with the Playbook and the quick exit and no BlackBerry 10 coming to the platform, developers were leery of Blackberry 10 phone. They were waiting to see how BlackBerry would handle it and if they were willing to go long term. Developer's aren't going to jump in and develop apps for a company that bails at the first hint of problems. They want a long term plan. Now with BlackBerry abandoning BlackBerry 10 only 18 months from it's release, they were smart to wait. BlackBerry as a company just don't understand how to run a company that requires third party developers. They also don't have a clue about consumers, when they released the Playbook, they didn't include a email client as they thought that they didn't need one as they just tether it to the phone. That was dumb as consumers might buy one without a BlackBerry phone.

BlackBerry has now twice gave developers the finger with the PlayBook and the BlackBerry 10 phone. Smart developers will never work with BlackBerry again.
    08-24-15 12:25 PM
    BB10 all the way. I have plenty of other devices for apps.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^^
    This is largely my perspective, too. I am still 5x more productive on a laptop or desktop computer with a full keyboard and mouse than I am on a mobile device. The mobile gives me the ability to maintain real-time communications with collaborators, but most apps are more for entertainment that for getting real work done. Just give me the core apps in BB10 and an HTML5 compliant browser running on a super-efficient OS, and I'm good to go for the next 5-10 years.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 10:34 AM
    Since the launch of BB10, I've known what I'm getting into. And I've chosen BlackBerry because I wanted to focus more in my Career. That being said, I've tried Android devices to see what the other camp could offer and it made me realize what I truly need in order to be productive. The less distractions (apps) I have the more I can focus to what I needed to do. BB10 doesn't comes short at what productivity it could offer. And my need goes round to sending and receiving emails every day plus documentation of what I do. BB10 can do it faster than Android.

Android runtime were introduced in 10.1 (or. 2 I think) and I've been doing great with the first BB10 version. So it won't be an issue to me if Android runtime were cut off in the process. But please BlackBerry, you need to keep supporting and improving BB10! It's not even mature enough to compare with BBOS7 when it comes to shortcuts. I don't mind BlackBerry releasing another Android, iPhone or Windows phone as long as it keeps perfecting its BB10.
    08-25-15 02:42 PM
51 123