https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000627/L...d-for-WhatsApp

Opt-out instructions within, but you only have 30 days to do so upon receipt of the new terms. I find that limit a bit ridiculous.

EDIT: link to opt out instructions, it's VERY hidden.

https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/26000016
    FF22, LyoobaBerry, bigjman and 4 others like this.
    08-25-16 10:21 AM
    Wow ... good catch. Thanks for letting the community know.

But I am curious, what do they share with Facebook if I don't have a Facebook account? Do they still share it and then Facebook will start messaging me and letting me know that I should sign-up?
    FF22 likes this.
    08-25-16 10:36 AM
    Hmm, I guess it's time I started using whatsapp. I like helping companies gain profits from advertising.

sarcasm aside. I doubt the average joe will know, or even care, switching messaging apps is a pain. So the average joe would probably deal with that instead of switching.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-25-16 10:51 AM
    Go to BBM? Just a thought

Typed on the Priv's freaking good PKB
    Bfalcon1 and bigjman like this.
    08-25-16 12:17 PM
    Hmm, I guess it's time I started using whatsapp. I like helping companies gain profits from advertising.

sarcasm aside. I doubt the average joe will know, or even care, switching messaging apps is a pain. So the average joe would probably deal with that instead of switching.
    I do agree with you on this.

However since now #BBM also help us use phone number to register and find our contacts perhaps it's a good idea to explore BBM.

#BBM is not as good as WhatsApp in terms of Group chats as it's not as consistent in terms of its features. Perhaps if #BBM make their features more consistent then it would be able to give some competition to WhatsApp.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-25-16 12:21 PM
    About group I have a vice versa opinion but anyway agree with the rest

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 01:39 PM
    They stated that they will still be sharing the information to Facebook group of companies

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    gizmo21 likes this.
    08-25-16 02:22 PM
    Wow ... good catch. Thanks for letting the community know.

But I am curious, what do they share with Facebook if I don't have a Facebook account? Do they still share it and then Facebook will start messaging me and letting me know that I should sign-up?
    Here's Some Of The Information Facebook Will Be Collecting From WhatsApp

Here’s what Facebook initially told us WhatsApp will collect in addition to phone numbers:
    • Type of operating system
    • Screen resolution
    • Mobile carrier
    • A device identifier
    • How often people open the app

To start...
    08-25-16 04:27 PM
    Upon further reading:

The choices you have. If you are an existing user, you can choose not to have your WhatsApp account information shared with Facebook to improve your Facebook ads and products experiences. Existing users who accept our updated Terms and Privacy Policy will have an additional 30 days to make this choice by going to Settings > Account.
    So existing users will be able to opt-out. If you are installing and creating a new WhatsApp account today, it doesn't mention anything.
    08-25-16 05:24 PM
    Now come on, I distinctly remember people posting how secure Whatsapp was and how they never shared anything with anyone.

It was only a matter of time once FB bought them and I would be surprised if the information wasn't shared long before now.

08-25-16 06:52 PM
    Absolutely have no use for anything to do with Facebook. I get picked on about it but I'm firm about it lol.

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    Carmels likes this.
    08-25-16 07:03 PM
    BB10 people should know about this cause if they loose support and delete the app won't know to opt-out then their info that remains may be still uploaded to FB.?

Time to go full BBM peeps!

Posted via CB10
    gizmo21 likes this.
    08-25-16 07:15 PM

Here�s what Facebook initially told us WhatsApp will collect in addition to phone numbers:
    • Screen resolution
    • Mobile carrier
    • A device identifier

To start...
    So they say that's all....

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 07:17 PM
    Upon further reading:

So existing users will be able to opt-out. If you are installing and creating a new WhatsApp account today, it doesn't mention anything.
    Correct, you will also be able to opt out but they will still share your information. WTF right?

08-26-16 02:27 AM
    BB10 people should know about this cause if they loose support and delete the app won't know to opt-out then their info that remains may be still uploaded to FB.?

Posted via CB10
    Even further, the option for opting out is nowhere to be found on the WhatsApp app for BB10... I've recently reverted my main line to my Passport as I'm travelling and will use the PRIV with a local SIM. I've checked and can't find the opt-out option in Settings>Account.

I'm thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling, any BB10 user tried this already?

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    08-26-16 03:19 AM
    ... #BBM is not as good as WhatsApp in terms of Group chats as it's not as consistent in terms of its features. Perhaps if #BBM make their features more consistent then it would be able to give some competition to WhatsApp.

Can you help me understand what makes WhatsApp groups better than BBM? What features are in WhatsApp that do not exist in BBM? The only thing I like about WhatsApp groups is the ability to share Video and other documents, which is lacking in BBM (and I want to add, I have no idea why this feature has been absent for so long in BBM). Other than that, I thought BBM had more features, such as an integrated calendar, integrated lists, etc.
    08-26-16 09:55 AM
    Can you help me understand what makes WhatsApp groups better than BBM? What features are in WhatsApp that do not exist in BBM? The only thing I like about WhatsApp groups is the ability to share Video and other documents, which is lacking in BBM (and I want to add, I have no idea why this feature has been absent for so long in BBM). Other than that, I thought BBM had more features, such as an integrated calendar, integrated lists, etc.
    Very simple in WhatsApp they can share the following in 121 chats;
    - voice note
    - photos
    - videos
    - documents

They can do all the same things in their Group chat too. In this way users don't get the feeling that there is something lacking in the group chat.

In BBM you CANNOT do the following things in Group chat even when you can do them on 121 chat;
    - share documents
    - share location
    - share Glympes
    - share voice notes
    - share videos
    - share music

Since there is a disparity that's why the shortcomings are highlighted in BBM. That is why BBM will seem inadequate as compared to WhatsApp.

WhatsApp groups chat has features that are more commonly used where these features are not available in BBM group chat. This will also make BBM seem not good as well.

fanBBRY and shabbs like this.
    08-26-16 11:22 AM
    Signal > whatsapp.

Posted via Priv
    08-26-16 01:03 PM
    Let's say I had installed WhatsApp years ago because a friend wanted to try chatting on it. After the trip, I stopped using it. Am I still a user and if so, do I need to opt-out? I do use FB, but didn't add my number to it. Since I don't use WhatsApp, they're not going to gain any marketing info for FB through it for me, but will FB grab my number?
    08-26-16 01:33 PM
    Let's say I had installed WhatsApp years ago because a friend wanted to try chatting on it. After the trip, I stopped using it. Am I still a user and if so, do I need to opt-out? I do use FB, but didn't add my number to it. Since I don't use WhatsApp, they're not going to gain any marketing info for FB through it for me, but will FB grab my number?
    I would assume it's an existing account, if you didn't explicitly delete the account in settings. It should prompt you the next time you open the app.
    08-26-16 02:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    08-26-16 02:17 PM

Since there is a disparity that's why the shortcomings are highlighted in BBM. That is why BBM will seem inadequate as compared to WhatsApp.

WhatsApp groups chat has features that are more commonly used where these features are not available in BBM group chat. This will also make BBM seem not good as well.

And there is no end-to-end message encryption in BBM https://www.eff.org/de/node/82654

But at least BlackBerry doesn't share personal info like telnr with 3rd party for advertising afaik.
    08-26-16 11:41 PM

Here�s what Facebook initially told us WhatsApp will collect in addition to phone numbers:
    • Screen resolution
    • Mobile carrier
    • A device identifier

To start...
    Cheese and rice! Do they want my sex and blood type too?! Maybe the name of my first born child?

I'm glad I don't use any of these apps and don't have a Facebook account. I deleted SnapChat in like 30 seconds as soon as it started asking me to download my entire contact list to it's "secure servers" ya right!

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-27-16 07:57 AM
    Cheese and rice! Do they want my sex and blood type too?! Maybe the name of my first born child?

I'm glad I don't use any of these apps and don't have a Facebook account. I deleted SnapChat in like 30 seconds as soon as it started asking me to download my entire contact list to it's "secure servers" ya right!

Curmudgeon!

I get flak from friends since I, too, do not have Facebook, etc accounts. I'm sure that I've missed a list of so-and-so's breakfast menu but, you know, I can live with missing that!
    08-27-16 09:57 AM
    Curmudgeon!

I get flak from friends since I, too, do not have Facebook, etc accounts. I'm sure that I've missed a list of so-and-so's breakfast menu but, you know, I can live with missing that!
    Oh the best is when people decide to use FB to send out invitations for social events. I'm like seriously, you can't pick up the phone and ask me if I'd like to come to your party like a normal human being?! I don't have Facepage, what were you going to do? Not invite me?

I've even seen people use FB for wedding invitations. That's trashy not to mention I'm missing your wedding now because you're to lazy and cheap too mail out invitations in the traditional sense.

FF22 likes this.
    08-27-16 02:09 PM
31 12