Since now that BlackBerry will be releasing the Priv running Android I think it will be the last device from BlackBerry. The reason is ;

1. Why would anyone ever consider buying an Android device from BlackBerry? They have never been known to have the best spec's for any device & are always expensive.

2. If I'm getting an Android phone, I would definitely buy a Samsung. Why should I choose a BlackBerry & get ridiculed by friends & family for using a BlackBerry.

3. The only way that someone would be motivated to get an Android phone from BlackBerry would be if it is really cheap. I'm thinking of the price range of USD 100 - USD 150 for an unlocked & contract free device. Any price higher than that it will not be able to compete with the likes of Lenovo & Xiaomi.

4. With the launch of the Priv running Android BlackBerry now needs to compete in the category of the Lenovo, Xiaomi & Vivo that is sold bell the USD 150 range for an unlocked contact free device. How much money will this make for BlackBerry?

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 02:49 PM
    I don't think it will be in the 100-150 USD range off contract.
    10-06-15 03:05 PM
    This phone might just be a showpiece for the BlackBerry experience suite so it may well be the last BlackBerry ever made (unless it's wildy successful)

BlackBerry will then just license out their patents for their keyboard and sell the BlackBerry experience suite to the consumers for a fee per month.

I would imagine cross platform hub and blend being the centre piece of their experience suite and people will pay for that.

Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    10-06-15 03:55 PM
    If I were running things I would be selling licenses fo Black Droid and BB10 to anyone who wants to load it. Microsoft has been doing that for along time now.
    10-06-15 03:58 PM
    Then don't buy one?
    dakid72 likes this.
    10-06-15 04:00 PM
    It will not be the last BlackBerry unless it totally bombs. Then it might be the last BlackBerry Android phone but BB10 shall live for a while still.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    10-06-15 04:42 PM
    -- comments inline

Since now that BlackBerry will be releasing the Priv running Android I think it will be the last device from BlackBerry. The reason is ;

1. Why would anyone ever consider buying an Android device from BlackBerry? They have never been known to have the best spec's for any device & are always expensive.

-- Because Android is android. Samsung doesn't make it just as BlackBerry doesn't make it. Samsung's android won't be better than BlackBerry's.
    AND one of the things that sucks most about android... the lack of privacy and security, is something BlackBerry can make better.
    The thing that sucked most about BlackBerry was lack of apps. Android eliminates that. They should come together to make a better android nicely.

2. If I'm getting an Android phone, I would definitely buy a Samsung. Why should I choose a BlackBerry & get ridiculed by friends & family for using a BlackBerry.

-- WTH?? Seriously?
    Should ask those ppl why they don't like BlackBerry. Sounds like they wouldn�t have a clue. BlackBerry makes great hw with good battery life. It was the lack of apps that was the problem... now they have All the apps. What's to hate now?

3. The only way that someone would be motivated to get an Android phone from BlackBerry would be if it is really cheap. I'm thinking of the price range of USD 100 - USD 150 for an unlocked & contract free device. Any price higher than that it will not be able to compete with the likes of Lenovo & Xiaomi.

-- Or adds an element of privacy and security to a platform famous for having neither?
    -- or has an actual keyboard you can expose when he want it, or use like a slab with virtual keyboard when he like.

4. With the launch of the Priv running Android BlackBerry now needs to compete in the category of the Lenovo, Xiaomi & Vivo that is sold bell the USD 150 range for an unlocked contact free device. How much money will this make for BlackBerry?

What do you think?

-- I obviously think you need to think about this more.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    peednus likes this.
    10-06-15 05:24 PM
    -- comments inline

Posted via CB10
    Don't bother mate... Everybody should stop reading at "Why should I choose a BlackBerry & get ridiculed by friends & family for using a BlackBerry" and when he sugests the Priv value is around 100$...
    10-06-15 05:38 PM
    I currently have a Samsung s6, and I would rather have the blackberry priv, and will be buying one once released and selling my s6.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    Elite1, BergerKing and MO3iusONE like this.
    10-06-15 05:58 PM

What do you think?

Posted via CB10

Looking at my *gif you can telI think you are wrong with a big W,

1. The "new" Blackberry isn't like that, isn't the same as the time where Z10 and Q10 were launched. Passport launched 1 year ago had the Snapdragon 801, 3GB's of ram, 1440x1440 screen, the specs were up to date. The priv has the latest specs aswell, Snapdragon 808, 3gb of ram, QuadHD screen wich is [samsung's] AMOLED aswell (considered best in class).

2. The problem here is not with Blackberry, is with family and friends that shouldn't make fun of you for having a phone of X or Y brand. Why would you choose a the priv instead of a Samsung? if you value a Physical keyboard, a touch pad, top end security, and a Micro-SD slot (gives you up to extra 2000gb of extra storage), the priv has all those that the Galaxy S6 or the Note5 don't have. maybe it's cheaper aswell.

3. The QuadHD AMOLED screen in the Priv is similar to the samsung galaxy S6 Edge. For the record, the screen alone costs 200$... Snapdragon 808, 3gb of ram, Blackberry build quality, etc, all the good specs you see in the best smartphones on the market. Do you still want to evaluate the priv at 100-150$?

4. If blackberry sell the complex and top spec phone like the priv at 100$ they won't be making any money for sure, in fact, they will be losing hundreds of buck in each one they sell.
    10-06-15 06:54 PM
    This almost sounds like trolling ($150, really?), but I'll bite:

If you actually have been paying attention to the leaks, and assuming they are accurate, the Priv actually has top end specs. It has identical hardware to the LG G4.

"Definitely buy a Samsung" is already a mistake. Samsung actually does not have THAT great of a name out there, almost everyone I ask thinks TouchWiz is clunky. Their lower end ones (namely, Galaxy Ace, S3 Mini) is near unusable in stock form. Filled with bloatware, and security issues. Samsung has proved time in time that they are a company that does not care about their customers. One huge contributor to the security reputation of Android.

Priv has its niche, there is no keyboard Android phone with flagship specs, and is a hardened Android. Response in actual Android communities have been welcoming. Have you actually bothered looking elsewhere other than CrackBerry, which by far has been the MOST negative I've seen?

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    Who's Vivo? Are you referring to Asus Zenfone? Then you should probably TRY using one of the phones. Yes they are cheap, and I hope you're not looking at the Chinese electronics distributors and looking at those. Those are bottom dollar phones using the cheap MediaTek chips designed for the Chinese market. Usually comes with insufficient memory and old kernels, only suitable to be used as dumb phones. Even the "flagship killers" like the Xiaomi Note (it hardly is, actually) and OnePlus has its problems. QC is very hit and miss on these phones. True story, I had a friend who bought quite a few of the OnePlus because of specs and price, he used it for a total of 5 months and then had enough of the poor build quality all the RMAing. He promptly got a Sony Xperia to replace it, and he told me it's the shortest time he kept a phone.
    10-06-15 06:58 PM
    If it's successful enough to garner OEMS attentions for keyboard and the patended BlackBerry android add ons then yes- BlackBerry will get out of hardware completely and sell those things to other OEMS.

Chen has never been shy about the ultimate goal to leave hardware and be a services and software company.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and undone like this.
    10-06-15 08:13 PM

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    With all do respect, this is completely wrong. Personally I would never consider a Lenovo or Xiamoi. When I think cell phones I only think Iphone, Samsung, or Blackberry. Anything else in my opinion isn't worth my money. The Blackberry has been on the losing end of those 3 due to the app gap. Now that apps will no longer be an issue on the priv. I expect Blackberry to start taking back a lot of market share that Samsung as enjoyed over the last few years. When you said "If I'm getting an Android phone, I would definitely buy a Samsung. Why should I choose a BlackBerry & get ridiculed by friends & family for using a BlackBerry." You sound like a child at best and a sheep at worst. Stop caring what other people think thats bad enough let alone about something as trivial as a cell phone. Talk about first world problems lol. Sorry I had to get that out. Just my two cents.
    10-06-15 08:32 PM
    I was gonna comment, but I think everyone else in this thread has done a good enough job of ripping OP's original post apart lol
    MO3iusONE and Xaiux like this.
    10-06-15 09:29 PM
    Thanks for all your comments, I think if you think that USD 100 - USD 150 for an unlocked contract free BlackBerry Priv is too low then think about this.

How many of your friends & family members actually do a research & understand about the phone that they are going to buy before they actually pick it up? Most people rely on opinion & the opinion out there is "who wants to be caught dead using a BlackBerry unless it is forced upon them by their company " so most people will not even spend time for look at it.

Telco's will not be supporting it as it isn't popular to do so. They will most probably be pushing out iPhone as they have committed millions of units to Apple to just be able to sell this phone. Otherwise they will be left with a lot of dead stocks.

So the only target market that BlackBerry Priv is able to get will be those niche IT savy people who are also fans who will look at it & decide it is good for them. Then they will pick one up but this is probably about 1% of the market.

The other group that BlackBerry Priv is able to target would be those who just buy a phone for the price. These are the people who are currently going for the Xiaomi, Vivo & Lenovo or even Asus for that matter. So in order to compete for their attention they will have to price it as such.

Posted via CB10
    dusanvn and thinkinfinity like this.
    10-06-15 10:16 PM
    Thanks for all your comments, I think if you think that USD 100 - USD 150 for an unlocked contract free BlackBerry Priv is too low then think about this.

How many of your friends & family members actually do a research & understand about the phone that they are going to buy before they actually pick it up? Most people rely on opinion & the opinion out there is "who wants to be caught dead using a BlackBerry unless it is forced upon them by their company " so most people will not even spend time for look at it.

Telco's will not be supporting it as it isn't popular to do so. They will most probably be pushing out iPhone as they have committed millions of units to Apple to just be able to sell this phone. Otherwise they will be left with a lot of dead stocks.

So the only target market that BlackBerry Priv is able to get will be those niche IT savy people who are also fans who will look at it & decide it is good for them. Then they will pick one up but this is probably about 1% of the market.

The other group that BlackBerry Priv is able to target would be those who just buy a phone for the price. These are the people who are currently going for the Xiaomi, Vivo & Lenovo or even Asus for that matter. So in order to compete for their attention they will have to price it as such.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think someone that is going to drop 500-700$ on a phone is completely clueless about it. . All those chinese phones you said are 2d tier phones, they aren't competing with the big boys like the priv is. The priv has specs competing with HTC One m9, Samsung galaxy line, Nexus 6p, LG G4, Sony Experia Z5, etc... those are all 500$plus phones. Not only samsung and apple are making high end expensive phones.

Considering that in 2014 were sold 1.2 billion smartphones (2015 should be even higher), even that 1% results in 12 milion smartphones, wich is almost double what Blackberry sold in 2014 in the entire lineup (they sold 7 million). Jonh Chen said they need to sell 5 million Privs to break even, so that 1% is a lot of profit there.

Blackberry priv has very expensive hardware, so they can simply just sell it for cheap now and loose money on each device. Maybe down the road they make a cheaper Android phone. Blackberry is a small company now, they can't simply launch 3 or 4 phones at a time. Give it time, and different models, in different price ranges will came.

Show me a 150$ device that its comparable to the priv... better, show me a 350$ device that has comparable specs to the priv...
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 10-06-15 at 10:41 PM.
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    10-06-15 10:27 PM
    Samsungs come with too much bloatware...
    10-06-15 10:36 PM
    In answer to why would anyone buy a BlackBerry branded Android. The slide out keyboard would be reason number one. Maybe people who have a fondness for BlackBerry and had to leave for Android over the last 3-4 years might come back for a look. Maybe BlackBerry can prove it's privacy is better than other Android phones and build on that.

But it would take actual work on BlackBerry 's part. Like saturating the Internet and television and billboards with well thought out campaigns.

They need Don Draper for this. This is where they should spend all they have left for one last chance.

That and have an ad that says what were we thinking of with the name Priv? Have a name the phone contest drawing with the winner getting a Priv.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    10-06-15 10:54 PM
    Strange how year after year after year, every new blackberry phone will be the last one they will ever make......
    10-07-15 12:42 AM
    Interesting statement, since the newer devices come with less bloat than ever, with the options to install or uninstall things unlike previous editions. They do actually respond to consumer pressure, unlike our friends at certain other smartphone manufacturers. While not perfect, they are actually improving.
    Allanon89 and thinkinfinity like this.
    10-07-15 07:33 AM
    That bloatware, like PC bloatware is ad $... it artificially brings down the cost of the phone. I doubt BlackBerry is in that position (nor should they be) so it's more difficult to meet price points.

Remember all those 250$ computer packages in the 2000's when everything else was 600-900 entry? And you turned it on and AOL along with 50 other programs started asking for your cc for the subscription etc... that's almost where phones where-are going but not quite as bad.

BlackBerry could have done this with BBM- gave some cash for each device shipped with it preinstalled.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 07:42 AM
    I agree. Android is a race to the bottom and there isn't money in that OS platform. I don't know of many people who want to pay high dollars for an Android device. This just wont fly. It has been a Priv to know BlackBerry phones, they are on the way out.
    10-07-15 07:49 AM
    Just FYI, no one buys the brands you mentioned in the US... Not sure if your from here but those were poor examples. I really hate the Priv for being Android but even I can can see that this definitely won't be BlackBerry's last handset.

Sent from my Passport
    10-07-15 09:11 AM
    I agree. Android is a race to the bottom and there isn't money in that OS platform. I don't know of many people who want to pay high dollars for an Android device. This just wont fly. It has been a Priv to know BlackBerry phones, they are on the way out.
    what you mean with "there isn't money it that OS platform"? They are suposed to make money selling handsets, not sselling the OS. BB10 had to sell 10 million devices to break even, Priv with Android only has to sell 5 million to break even... That is money, because they have to spend less in R&D
    10-07-15 09:39 AM
    what you mean with "there isn't money it that OS platform"? They are suposed to make money selling handsets, not sselling the OS. BB10 had to sell 10 million devices to break even, Priv with Android only has to sell 5 million to break even... That is money, because they have to spend less in R&D
    Only true way to make money on hardware is either controlling the manufacturing process (aka Samsung) or getting solid volume deals (aka Apple). BlackBerry is neither. They NEED to sell X number of devices running Android to turn a profit (I have no clue what X is, but its in the millions). I believe the only way they will be able to do this is if they have pre-orders in place with companies/institutions. Consumers channels alone will not be sufficient.
    Allanon89 and thinkinfinity like this.
    10-07-15 01:42 PM
36 12