Longtime blackberry user looking at the priv. I have also been considering the passport. I have never used a passport ( or even seen one irl) and am interested. I started with the curve, then bold, then torch, then z10 and am currently using a Q10. I love the q10 and bb10. On a separate line i keep a note for the android stuff. I dont mind android but am not yearning for it. So, long story short (lol too late I know) Im looking for some feedback on the two comparatively. I know we are all blackberry fans here, as am I, so Id like to get that perspective while still being objective if possible.
    11-07-15 05:06 AM
    Used the Z10 for almost 18 months but the Passport is so much better. Also had the Q10 for a while.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    11-07-15 05:12 AM
    If you want a smartphone for email and office productivity the wider screen of the BlackBerry Passport might be the better choice. If you want to watch videos and email and office productivity the BlackBerry Priv is a good choice.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    chrispmoto likes this.
    11-07-15 05:31 AM
    Comes down to apps really OP. Had a passport loved the phone. The Priv is an amazing experience. It has the app selection right out of the box. No work arounds or anything Google play is ready for you. And for all the bashing you will hear the OS on this phone is pretty damn good. I have very little complaints from a longtime blackberry and bb10 user

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    11-07-15 05:35 AM
    I've used both and also have a Note 5 (work phone). The two biggest reasons (for me) to select the Priv over the Passport is: 1. T-Mobile LTE bands 2. Interoperability with third party devices. With the Priv I can get Band 12 LTE coverage and wifi-calling and the Passport, even know it's unlocked cannot. That is a deal breaker for me. I have LTE in areas that I would have NO service in without Band 12. The second reason I chose the Priv was the ability to connect to things like wearables and more wider range of "smart devices". There was work-arounds with the Passport, but it didn't feel as easy and lost functionality. Just my two cents for ya!
    Quorist likes this.
    11-07-15 06:21 AM
    Does this mean Blackberry is giving up on BB10? Watching the reviews of the Priv, this seems much more like an Android phone than it is a Blackberry. I know that with the financial condition of the company that they may have had no choice but to go Android.

It seems like a great Android phone and not much of a Blackberry...
    11-07-15 06:35 AM
    If you want a smartphone for email and office productivity the wider screen of the BlackBerry Passport might be the better choice. If you want to watch videos and email and office productivity the BlackBerry Priv is a good choice.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    Watching videos on the Passport is great. I do it all the time watching BBC World News Live WHILE working on my Passport: typing emails, editing text and presentations, or posting this on crackberry.
    You ABSOLUTELY cannot do that on the Priv because it does NOT multitask. It's either work or video, not both at the same time on the Priv.
    The Passport is a mobile laptop and communication device.
    The Priv is not because it does not multitask.

..and then there is the (lack of) privacy and security on the Priv.

But, I am not your standard cellphone user.
    My grown up kids who own iphones and Note 5 know they cannot compete with me when it comes to phones.
    My Passport always kills their phones. They don't even try to do the things I do on my phone. Their batteries would not last even half a day if they tried.
    anon(5061193) and Barbareren like this.
    11-07-15 06:40 AM
    I have owned both and they are two totally different animals. The Priv will give you the apps and speed the Passport will give you the Blackberry experience.
    11-07-15 06:58 AM
    If apps don't matter for you, scoop up the passport! The wide screen and big keyboard is unfugwidable!

Barbareren and BigBoDiesel like this.
    11-07-15 07:06 AM
    Watching videos on the Passport is great. I do it all the time watching BBC World News Live WHILE working on my Passport: typing emails, editing text and presentations, or posting this on crackberry.
    You ABSOLUTELY cannot do that on the Priv because it does NOT multitask. It's either work or video, not both at the same time on the Priv.
    The Passport is a mobile laptop and communication device.
    The Priv is not because it does not multitask.

..and then there is the (lack of) privacy and security on the Priv.

But, I am not your standard cellphone user.
    My grown up kids who own iphones and Note 5 know they cannot compete with me when it comes to phones.
    My Passport always kills their phones. They don't even try to do the things I do on my phone. Their batteries would not last even half a day if they tried.
    You don't find the square screen makes the videos look a bit off? Yep the lack of multitasking on the BlackBerry Priv at least for video playback and some other activity is annoying. But realistically do you often work while video plays in the background where you cannot see it any way? I am hoping BlackBerry keeps improving BlackBerry Android bringing as many BlackBerry OS 10 features as possible. You are right the BlackBerry Passport with BlackBerry OS 10 and the BlackBerry Priv with BlackBerry Android are different animals; I will not deny a fact.
    11-07-15 07:15 AM
    Does this mean Blackberry is giving up on BB10? Watching the reviews of the Priv, this seems much more like an Android phone than it is a Blackberry. I know that with the financial condition of the company that they may have had no choice but to go Android.

It seems like a great Android phone and not much of a Blackberry...
    BlackBerry seems to be adding features atop vanilla Google Android to deliver the best of BlackBerry OS 10. The process takes time and with the Marshmallow release we will get finer-grained permissions for applications. The BlackBerry Z10 released without all features available. I put the BlackBerry Priv in the same boat. Subsequent updates to BlackBerry OS 10 addressed those perceived deficiencies. No reason to think BlackBerry will not improve the BlackBerry Android user experience over the coming months.
    11-07-15 07:21 AM
    What about the rest of the line? Will they continue to improve the Passport and the Classic and leap ?

11-07-15 07:25 AM
    You don't find the square screen makes the videos look a bit off? Yep the lack of multitasking on the BlackBerry Priv at least for video playback and some other activity is annoying. But realistically do you often work while video plays in the background where you cannot see it any way? I am hoping BlackBerry keeps improving BlackBerry Android bringing as many BlackBerry OS 10 features as possible. You are right the BlackBerry Passport with BlackBerry OS 10 and the BlackBerry Priv with BlackBerry Android are different animals; I will not deny a fact.
    Videos look great on the big square screen. And it's nice to not have to hold you phone sideways. Further, I just watched a 10-hour JFK documentary that I downloaded through FastTube while I was traveling, and because that doc was 4x3, the Passport is literally the best handset for watching that doc. So, yeah, the Passport screen is pretty awesome.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9188202) and Barbareren like this.
    11-07-15 07:28 AM
    I am a Roof Consultant. One aspect of my job is to perform Work in progress inspections on the rooftop; which requires that I take photos for a report we will send out to the Client to verify the work was carried out correctly.

I also get a lot of phone calls through out the day, all across Canada; especially requests from building operators that are experiencing roof leaks that need to get dispatched. I can't really afford to ignore those calls. Yet at the same time, If I am on a roof and personnel are flashing a conduit penetration on a rooftop that is say under a piece of rooftop equipment where site conditions are cramped or difficult to work under, I can't really say to the guys working on the roof "Hey, do you mind stopping what you're doing, while I take this call?"

One aspect I love about BlackBerry 10, working on my Passport is that I can accept a telephone call and still be snapping photos simultaneously. Hell, I can even email a photo or file while talking on the phone. Suffice to say, the Passport's large battery is a huge benefit, as I tend to log a lot of screen time in a given day, composing emails, as I work in the field a lot. It's not uncommon that I type emails that can fill an entire page or two of 8.5" x 11" paper, once printed.

Powered by Passport
    nicky_willz and BigBoDiesel like this.
    11-07-15 07:30 AM
    One aspect I love about BlackBerry 10, working on my Passport is that I can accept a telephone call and still be snapping photos simultaneously. Hell, I can even email a photo or file while talking on the phone.
    Powered by Passport
    Okay I agree with your argument. BlackBerry should remove the multi-tasking block which Google obviously implemented in the Linux kernel of Google Android so it behaves like desktop Linux kernel - full mutli-tasking capable of simultatenously playing a music video in the background while you write a report in another application. The BlackBerry PlayBook has this capability. Google's developers apparently could not grasp multi-tasking having been raised and educated on Microsoft Windows.
    11-07-15 09:59 AM
    I'm with ya OP. I use a Torch (don't laugh, this tank after 4 years won't die!), and would love to upgrade to either a SEPP, or Priv...and am concerned. I went yesterday to AT&T and played with the Priv, and it is SUPER NICE!, but android...not sure if it is for me. I've not held a PP in my hands yet, but love it's looks and what it does, and is a true BB!

My concerns:
    -SEPP (or AT&T version)...buying a year old phone, that may not work, or be around for long.
    -Priv...too new (the unknown), android.

The closest thing to social media for me is LinkedIn (I have no desire to keep up with the Kards), so calling, texting, emails (3 accounts), pictures, surfing.....are what's important to me. The rest of my family has iPhones, and I'm using an iPad to type this post, so I'm familiar/enjoy apple products, and have played with htc and Samsung, (android... not impressed at all). Apple is nice, but when I use my BB, it just feels like home, and would like another.

I'm looking for a long term phone, and know whatever I choose will be a learning curve for me, I CANNOT DECIDE! (Or just stick with my Torch until it dies, then I'll have to decide)

Wow, I've had less trouble buying houses/cars.......I need a drink.
    11-07-15 10:47 AM
    I own a Passport SE (typing on its beautiful keys now!) and a new Priv. Both are amazing phones. Still a little scared of Android. Still using my Passport as my daily driver until while I play with Priv. We will see who wins!

Posted via CB10
    nicky_willz likes this.
    11-07-15 10:57 AM
    I appreciate the responses, this was just what I was looking for. There are quite a few reviews around different sites that seem to be weighed down by personal bias. I think I'm gonna go with the passport. Android is fine, but I like the ease and solid feel of BB10. It's a shame it never caught a footlhold, in my opinion its a superior product. Thanks again for the help guys
    11-07-15 07:34 PM
    BB Passport is probably the best device on the market,lack of apps is it's Achilles heel,everything else is organic and innovative. I'm a two device kind of guy at least until the BB Passport gets the Android treatment(that's a thread in itself).
    In this year alone I've used the Iphone 6,S6 Edge,Note5, BB Passport. Right now I'm using both Samsungs but I have been doing my due diligence on the the BB Priv,but I have serious doubts on making that investment particularly when a phone in contrast the S6 Edge has been refined over time and the Priv is still in it's "break in" period.

Personally if the BB Passport had access to the apps featured through google and was able to run BB10 it would be my only phone. Since it doesn't I'm leaning more toward keeping the S6 Edge and parting with the Note 5 and replacing it with the BB Passport.

In your case since you already have a Note for the Android appeal,I'd get the Passport
    Last edited by nicky_willz; 11-08-15 at 12:45 PM.
    11-07-15 08:07 PM
    I'm with ya OP. I use a Torch (don't laugh, this tank after 4 years won't die!), and would love to upgrade to either a SEPP, or Priv...and am concerned. I went yesterday to AT&T and played with the Priv, and it is SUPER NICE!, but android...not sure if it is for me. I've not held a PP in my hands yet, but love it's looks and what it does, and is a true BB!

My concerns:
    -SEPP (or AT&T version)...buying a year old phone, that may not work, or be around for long.
    -Priv...too new (the unknown), android.

The closest thing to social media for me is LinkedIn (I have no desire to keep up with the Kards), so calling, texting, emails (3 accounts), pictures, surfing.....are what's important to me. The rest of my family has iPhones, and I'm using an iPad to type this post, so I'm familiar/enjoy apple products, and have played with htc and Samsung, (android... not impressed at all). Apple is nice, but when I use my BB, it just feels like home, and would like another.

I'm looking for a long term phone, and know whatever I choose will be a learning curve for me, I CANNOT DECIDE! (Or just stick with my Torch until it dies, then I'll have to decide)

Wow, I've had less trouble buying houses/cars.......I need a drink.

The Passport will definitely be around for a while,TBH I'm sensing the BB faithful purchased the BBP far more than they will the Priv. The Priv has attracted quite a bit of former BB users,some inquisitive android folk and the "Apple Crowd" who in all actuality won't keep the device beyond 2 months.

Take this into consideration the BBP may receive the Android treatment and if it does the current model BBP that's only running BB10 will be in hot demand say a year or two from now,good luck trying to get one at fair market value.

If your not a social media junkie, the Passport would be the better of the two hands down. I hated selling my BBP but at the time I was communicating through social media with Framily,now that I'm using two devices I'll gladly return to the BBP.
    11-07-15 08:13 PM
    Can't really 'versus' these two devices because they're truly, completely different.

They're not the same thing at all. It's like a sumo wrestler versus a ballerina, not a well matched 'versus'. They compliment each other, sure, I have both, but they're totally different in almost every way.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 08:54 PM
    I am a technical consultant, among other things. My passport is my work and private phone and laptop, since the Macbook 12 inch (which I regretfully purchased last summer) is kind of crappy, not good at multitasking, and definitely not secure in my opinion.

I travel a lot. I spend 5-8 hours a day , often working alone in a hotel room or somewhere else on my phone or laptop (when it used to be linux). Watching or listening to the news in the background all the time while studying or working is something I have been doing since I was in grade 5...

However, I do not watch netflix videos. I prefer to watch movies at a cinema for a real uninterrupted experience.
    I watch news and interesting documentaries on the news channels, mostly BBC, TVO and CBC. All of those look undistorted on my passport (with black bars at top and bottom) and, if I connect to an external HDMI monitor, they adapt to the entire16:9 screen.

Having watched the AC and Crackberry Priv reviews and having read most of the discussions here, it is pretty clear to me that Priv offers no privacy.

I cannot accept that, especially when I have important files on my passport, and I travel throughout the world.

For that reason alone, I will not buy an android running Priv and am a bit worried of what I will have to switch to, one or two years down the road.
    Maybe an Ubuntu phone, although, I am not sure who controls Ubuntu...
    Last edited by sorinv; 11-08-15 at 04:31 AM.
    11-08-15 03:41 AM
    I am a Roof Consultant. One aspect of my job is to perform Work in progress inspections on the rooftop; which requires that I take photos for a report we will send out to the Client to verify the work was carried out correctly.

I also get a lot of phone calls through out the day, all across Canada; especially requests from building operators that are experiencing roof leaks that need to get dispatched. I can't really afford to ignore those calls. Yet at the same time, If I am on a roof and personnel are flashing a conduit penetration on a rooftop that is say under a piece of rooftop equipment where site conditions are cramped or difficult to work under, I can't really say to the guys working on the roof "Hey, do you mind stopping what you're doing, while I take this call?"

One aspect I love about BlackBerry 10, working on my Passport is that I can accept a telephone call and still be snapping photos simultaneously. Hell, I can even email a photo or file while talking on the phone. Suffice to say, the Passport's large battery is a huge benefit, as I tend to log a lot of screen time in a given day, composing emails, as I work in the field a lot. It's not uncommon that I type emails that can fill an entire page or two of 8.5" x 11" paper, once printed.